Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2006, 09:26 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
mottybri, the 460 was a good engine but as you have found the manifolds can be a problem. One thing I did was add what they call Headers and removed the old manifolds. They do cost but not that much if you were to keep MH for some time. You maybe getting a leak from your running lights up front over windshield also should check rear running lights. The age of your coach it would be wise to check all seams for new sealent over windows, roof seams any exterior lights,outlets, refer and heater, hot water openings.
I posted in your "signature " block your coach info. If you want to add something just sign in and you should be able to access the block. "007"

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #16

Thanks 007 I will keep the headers in mind if we keep having problems. Will she sound like a racing rv with headers?

330 Cummins on Spartan Chassis
mottybri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:49 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have a Workhorse like my W-22 two pipes out either side of coach, sweet sounding remines me of my Super 88 Olds in the 50's.
By the way we will be down in your country in July at the irv2 rally, do like Country Music and when in Alaska played string tub with fiddle player from Kentucky. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:50 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Headers per se don't make the rig either louder or quieter, though it may change the tone a bit. It's the pipes and mufflers/resonators (or lack of them) that change the sound volume. But when adding headers folks often also increase exhaust pipe size and change to a low restriction muffler, so as to improve exhaust flow for performance reasons. That may make the rig louder, though you can get low-restriction mufflers that are still quiet (they simply need to be larger, so allow for both high flow volume and room for exhaust gas expansion).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #19

Hi, I just got the MOHO back today. Here's the update on the exhaust manifold leak and the swaying, and being hard to handle on the road.
My mechanic installed 4 Bilstein shocks and she rides and handles sooooooo much better now Also he took care of the leaking exhaust manifolds. He did some research and found that it is best not to use exhaust manifold gaskets, so he had the manifolds machined smooth and put them back on with no gaskets, replaced all the studs too. There is one stud missing on the right side, where the (OTHER) mechanic? that the dealer took it to, broke off a bolt, in the process left a hole in the head. He then tried to weld the bolt back on and used 3 nuts to hold it down, and it still leaked. Charged $900 and it came back with the same leak plus a new hole added. Anyway she is purring now, no leaks and a great ride. My mechanic said he thinks with the new studs and the machined manifold, that it will hold and not leak even with the one missing. We did talk to the dealer about his choice of mechanics, and told him what they had done. He thanked us for the input, but did not offer to help with the repair bill. Someone on this thread, said, that customer service is a very important factor in choosing which RV you consider to purchase. After all I have been through, I agree 100%. That will be a major factor when choosing my next MOHO. While our dealer was great, and did everything he said he would, I will not buy another from him unless he will agree to my choice of mechanic for engine repairs. For anyone who may have a Ford 460 with an exhaust leak, have all new studs installed, machine the manifolds, and install with NO gaskets, and it will save you big trouble and $'s later on. Thanks for all the help you guys were right on with your advice on everything.

330 Cummins on Spartan Chassis
mottybri is offline   Reply With Quote