Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #1

Well, the purchase of the Harney Coach didn't work out ..the "owner" wanted $5,000.00 non-refundable deposit without us ever seeing it. Also wanted to raise the price if we didn't get there by May 1 to pick it up...it was all sounding too crazy so we just walked away from it.
So, here we are shopping again, and we wanted to ask the experts..
1. diesel, about how many miles per gallon do you get?
2. we are "looking" at a RexAir, any comments?
3. Are there any general issues with diesels that we should be looking for when buying used?
This is such a big step, just trying to get all the info we can.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #2

Well, the purchase of the Harney Coach didn't work out ..the "owner" wanted $5,000.00 non-refundable deposit without us ever seeing it. Also wanted to raise the price if we didn't get there by May 1 to pick it up...it was all sounding too crazy so we just walked away from it.
So, here we are shopping again, and we wanted to ask the experts..
1. diesel, about how many miles per gallon do you get?
2. we are "looking" at a RexAir, any comments?
3. Are there any general issues with diesels that we should be looking for when buying used?
This is such a big step, just trying to get all the info we can.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The staff at DeMartini in Wakarusa are very friendly and exert no pressure at all.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Rexhall (manufacturer of the RexAir) sells factory direct. They are not one of the big names, but they make a decent coach and pioneered many features, e.g. side aisle floor plans and full wall slideouts.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I don't know how much you are wanting to spend on a coach but...I do know where there is a 2007 Monaco Dynasty for sale, the coach is in perfect shape (I know because I traded it in). Call James at Carolina RV in South Carolina and ask him about the "Pickle." He'll know which unit you are speaking of and see what kind of killer deal he'll make ya. This coach has most options on it and would make you a great motor home. The only reason the coach is on the market is because I traded it on a 2008 Signature.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #6

Diesels are great to use, but they don't like to sit idle for long periods of time. They will probably cost you more up front, but should last longer, and will certainly get you up the hills better. The price of the fuel is generally higher, but often the 'gas' mileage is better.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:04 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Let me respond to your question #3 (In general, are there any issues with diesel to consider when buying used)

To me, the answer is a resounding YES.

There are two courses of action on diesel maintenance - DIY and professional.

If you select professional maintenance and pay to have it done according to the schedules, it will be a significant expense in your budget. Typically, everything in the diesel environment is more expensive. The engine oil change that a gas MH can get for $50 will run $150 or more on a diesel. I paid $500 for a coolant change (never again - I'm doing my own from now on). The sad truth is that some people buy diesels, select professional maintenance and quickly get sticker shock from the maintenance costs. Their response is to start "deferring" maintenance. There is usually a lot of rationalization about "well, we really don't use it that much". The fact is that many of the routines are both time and mileage dependent.

So, a primary consideration for me in buying any used diesel would be access to its maintenance history information. The unavailability of it would cause me to walk away immediately. I do my own maintenance and keep a log of every time that I touch it. I have no plans to sell it any time soon but I keep the log so that I can keep it all straight. It is just too easy to overlook something. From experience, I can tell you that the drive line maintenance (lubrication of the slip joint and universal joints) must be done on or sooner than the schedule - things go dry quickly. It would not be fun driving and having a universal joint break. The air filters on the brake system prevent water from getting into the components. You may never know that the water is present - until your brakes fail. Obviously, the maintenance situation is brand independent.

I've learned to do almost everything myself because I feel more secure that I can do it according to the recommended intervals and that the work is done correctly. My goal is trouble free use of our RV. We've only had a couple of minor interruptions to our plans in the 4 years that we've owned it and none of those would have been prevented by any type of maintenance. I want to keep it that way. My commitment of time to follow that maintenance schedule is significant, at least to me.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:50 AM   #8

I do appreciate the homework you are doing. I had to do it myself, couldn't afford a new one so wanted the best used one that I could afford. Shopping on the internet is hard but, it can offer a good look at a lot of different models and types. The thing to do is find out what you want and stick with it. Then go look at those type/style in person to make sure it is what you want. Then shop for price and quality, being aware that all you want will not be on one coach, be ready to compramize to some extent. Good lunk and don't let the trials distract you.
And, depart not from the path which fate has you assigned.--Bill
Old 04-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Bill, what exactly are you wanting in a coach? The reason I ask is that I thought I had gotten everything that the "boss" wanted, then "BAM" got hit with something else when we saw what she felt would be nice in "our next coach."

Again I'd like to mention the coach that I just traded in, a 2007 Monaco Dynasty. This coach had just about everything, and for the price you couldn't go wrong....
Old 04-16-2008, 05:48 AM   #10

Man, I do understand the BAM! However, what I have is just going to have to do for a while. The complex way funding for retirement is takeing scares me a little. I am beginning to wonder if I can retire. Everything waited for me to be ready then went up in price. Just my luck, now I only have half enough to cover the retirement. It will happen, less than two years now and I will be gone.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We are on our second DP after having 3 gas powered....and we would never go back. We aren't on the road a lot..yet...but we love the DP advantage. Even with the fuel prices the way they are. They are more $$ up front, but we have had less issues with our DP's than we did with the others.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:18 AM   #12

Thanks for the info...we are really leaning toward diesel too. Our old coach was a gas powered.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Test drive, Test drive, Test drive.

Attend a MH show or FMCA convention to do your shopping, that way you will have access to all the manufactures in one location makes model and price comparison easier than going from lot to lot. Manufactures will also have models available for test drives.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spikester:
Test drive, Test drive, Test drive.

Attend a MH show or FMCA convention to do your shopping, that way you will have access to all the manufactures in one location makes model and price comparison easier than going from lot to lot. Manufactures will also have models available for test drives.

Spike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I total agree with this statement, it also gives you the chance to work dealers against one another.