Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
Questions about tires

We recently bought a 2002 Newmar Mountain Aire tag axle 43' motor home. We love the way the RV rides, drives, and handles. Currently the RV has Michelin brand 275/80R22.5 tires on it. The tires are 6 years old and we feel they need to be replaced. Is Michelin the leading brand for RV tires? If so, is that for a reason? Are there other brands that will handle the road as well for less money? You can see what type of information I will be needing. Give me you opinions based on what you have used in the past please. Thanks in advance for all your input. Have a great day!

Lefty67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
I looked around for a tire installer who would install tires bought on line, found several and chose the best one. Then I bought six Hercules H902 tires on line from SimpleTire.com, and they were shipped to the installer of my choice who installed them with balance beads instead of weights. It ended up to be about half price of Michelins and they ride and perform wonderfully for the 10,000 miles we've put on them in two years. people bash Chinese tires, but I'm old enough to remember when Americans used to bad mouth Japanese products until we realized American workers could no longer match Japan's quality and price. Then Korea, now China. I got China tires all over my fleet.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #3

Michelin is perhaps the leading brand in motor home tires , some will argue the Goodyear is ; no matter really.
Michelin says to replace at 10 years , BUT to have professional inspection done yearly , starting at the sixth year.
Goodyear I believe says 7 years as the limit.
Here's some reading on both brands.
I'm currently shopping too, my rear axle Michelins are 10 years old , and " look fine" with 70 % tread remaining , fronts are 8 years old.
Toyo tires are getting good reviews, here in the forums.
JMHO. At six years old , I wouldn't bother with the off rim inspection , if the tires show no signs of external checking.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf michelin tires for RVs.pdf (1.58 MB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf Goodyear tire-care-guide.pdf (1.70 MB, 7 views)
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Personally-I'dstay away from Goodyear 670's. There are a ton of posts slamming them and I've had problems with them also.

I like Michelin.

(Of course, this is the Ford vs Chevy debate, you know!?)
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
firestones were like 40% less than mich at the same outlet. No brainer for me. Rides good especially after airpressure adj
2003 Scepter 40PDBB - Roadmaster rr8s - Cummins ISC350 - suspension mods to come.
jimmy braden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:54 AM   #6
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Toyo makes an excellent tire. I run them on my MH as well as my Toad. They give me a nice ride, good wear and they are reasonably priced. JMHO
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:41 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, there always has to be one of these answers in a post like this so I suppose I'll be the one.

In my opinion, Michelin is the best quality. Sure, many say other manufacturers are "as good as" Michelin but, inherent in those statements, Michelin is the leader by which all others are compared. Some may try to argue even that one point but I'll not further defend because, as I said, that's just my opinion.

But the point I'm leading up to is: Tires are one of the few things where I pay no attention to price. There is just too much riding on the ramifications of a steer tire blowout. When I buy Michelin and I'm driving down the road... be it a rough road, smooth freeway but at higher speeds or maybe even a rough freeway... I feel confident I've done all I can do to minimize risk. I'm not just buying tires, I'm buying my peace of mind. No, I don't write Michelin commercials. LOL

In my opinion, the prudent way to cut tire costs is to put the best tire you can buy on the front and buy a less expensive tire for the rears, where you have some redundancy in the duals (and tag).

Safe Travels!
2004 Damon Escaper LX400 4194
40' Diesel Pusher
Cummins ISL
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
My Toyos are just turning 7 years old (265/75R22.5), but they honestly look almost new. There was a logging expo up at the fairgrounds today, and I visited with the five truck tire vendors there. Consensus was I should be able to go up to 10 years as long as there's absolutely no weather checking, curb scruffing, etc. and I watch inflation pressures. I also usually walk around the coach and check tire temps with my hand at most every stop. Toyo was looked upon as a very good tire, but stiff. I can attest to that. Michelin has the best ride, but is also most expensive. BFGoodrich is made/owned by Michelin, they use the exact same rubber compound in both brands, and the BFGs are less expensive. Ride should be comparable. Back on the skinny Winnie forums (Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter), Michelin seems to get a bad rap due to premature weather checking. But maybe their heavy truck tires are better for that?

To cut to the chase, I am planning on giving the BFGoodrich a serious look within the next three years.
2003 Allegro Bus 35'
330 Cat
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have Toyos on the front and Continentals on the back. In my opinion both Michelin and Goodyear are way overpriced. I feel that any of the top tier brands are excellent tires, e.g. Toyo, Bridgestone/Firestone, Goodrich (also a Michelin brand), Continental, Yokohoma, Sumitomo, Hankook, Kumho, etc. All internationally known and respected brands.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #10
I had Michelins when the coach was new, but at five years exactly the side walls started getting lots of cracks. Michelin dealer checked them while driving through Albuquerque, N.M. and said the cracks were not bad enough to change the tires yet. They also told me that Michelin warranties the tires for 60 months and that my tires were one month over, so no warranty.

So I drove to Las Vegas, Nev. and bought six Toyo tires M-54 rated H. Best tires I have ever bought, so at five years I bought another set of Toyo tires balanced them with Equal for a smooth and even tread wear.

I would really check Toyo's before you buy Michelins. Save yourself lots of money and I really believe they are a much better tire.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 38'
Neway Freightliner chassis, 2016 GMC Terrain toad
3126-E Caterpillar 330 hp
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Get the ones with the best deal. They will die of old age before you run the tread off them.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the rivering Goodyears with Samsun - all 6 - Much better ride and handling. I'm very happy with the quality
Dave and Suzy, Quincey and Chica
My two youngest in Coast Guard
2006 Monaco Knight 40ft
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #13
Michelin and Good Year are over rated and over priced. Tires on a coach will age out before they wear out. Search out the best value you can and go with it. I found the best value was Yokohamas when I was in the market for tires.
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor "The scooter II"
TBS-POPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #14
Lots of threads on tires, with lots of input from fellow RV'ers. Here is my input!

-FMCA has a discount program that helps on the expense of Michelins. And, they also cover BG Goodrich too, as they're made by Michelin. These are good tires, and lower expense then the Michelin. (Specifics are too often missing on these kinds of posts. A post that does not include the specific model of tire, is just about useless. So specifically, the BG Goodrich ST230 is a well thought of and safe tire, and good value with the FMCA discount. Michelin, well depends upon the tire size. But since you mentioned you like the ride of your current tire, I'll share my opinion that the XZA3 and XZA3 tires provide both a comfortable ride, and are both energy efficient. The XZE tires are a regional delivery type tire, also suitable for highway usage. Being regional in design, they have more meat on the side of the tires. This resulted in a stiffer ride, at least it did for us on our coach. But you also get added robustness with these heavier and beefier sidewall tires.)

-We just replaced our 8 tires, the mentioned XZE's. We lost 2 about a year earlier due to pot hole impact, and this was during a tire shortage, so ended up going with the BF Goodrich ST230's. Put these on our steers, as our tires were 5 1/2 years old at that time. Though also rated for regional, and highway too - they were a bit less beefy in the sidewalls then the XZE's, and I felt improved our front end ride quite a bit. Say over expansion joints, or DOTS between the lanes.

- Also IMO, the rears, both the duals and the tag if a tag coach, are not as noticeable in the impact to overall ride comfort.

- During my research, where I went with an alternate tire size (From 12R's to 295/80.) in order to get the tires we bought, the Michelin XZA2's - I also considered and researched Bridgestone, Toyo, Hankook, and a few others.

-I found this site from Michelin to be helpful:

Rolling Resistance Comparison | Michelin Truck

Of course RV's are not known for their MPG efficiency. But I figured every little bit helps, especially over a 5-7 years of usage cycle, so why not get a higher efficiency tire?

-Toyo's are a safe, good tire. They are made for the trucking industry, and thus do ride a bit stiffer then some other tires. Same for the Bridgestone R250 tire, well thought of and used on many bigger DP's over the years. Bridgestone Escopia series, while still designed for trucking industry, do improve on rolling resistance over the R250.

-While we went with the XZA2's for this set. I do not feel I would have been unhappy with going with Hankook's on the drive and tag, and then the XZA2's on the Steers. IMO, that is a reasonable method of saving some coin on tires. Still getting the improved ride of the XZA2/XZA3 (Depending on tire size.), while also still having safe shoes all around. (Many DP's I know and respect, are very pleased with the ride comfort of the Hankook AH12.)

OK those were my general comments and info sharing.

I will close by making sure you pay close attention to the the Load Range needed for your tires. (I had one shop that could not get the tire I want, try to talk me into a lesser Load Range rated tire.) I'm also a big fan on making an understanding with the tire shop you're working with, that you will not accept any tire date older then 6 months. RV tires replace by age, not wear, the majority of the time. So, if they do not want to work with you on obtaining younger dated tires - go to someone that will.

Finally, if not yet accomplished, get a four corner weight, and set your PSI based upon the specify tire manufactures PSI charts.

And of course, opinions will vary on tires - surprise! So do your own research, determine what you want, and get them and go have some fun!

Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote