Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #1

Questions B4 Purchase

RVers,

My wife and I are getting close to purchasing our first DP (first RV also). Last year we rented a 35' gas MH from Camping world. The experience suggested that the size was right for our intended use (just the two of us), so at the moment, we are leaning toward an Itasca 34B. The concerns are:
1) Worth the trouble to retro-fit a dishwasher?
2) How big of an advantage is there to buy from Camping World as they seem to have the most outlets around the country?
3) Are most repairs/service done away from home base?
4) We enjoyed our trip to Oatman, AZ and noticed there was a vehicle length restriction of 40'
...we'd like to retain access to more restrictive roads like Old Route 66, but are disappointed that the more opulent interiors are not available in the smaller DPs. Any thoughts on access vs luxury?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
...Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On this site as well as others, C.W. doesnot seem to have a good rep as far as follow up service. On my Horizon, the dishwasher was located under the cook top near the sink. It now rests in my junk shed in the back yard. It is the drawer type by F & P.

Buying new, shop,shop,shop, the perfect rig is out there and Lichsinn Motors of Forest City,IA has several videos showing what they have. Often times the search is the better part of the experience..One caveat, don't buy too small.

Don G. WIT 70041

Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
There was a survey recently and the dishwasher and washer were the two items voted most unused ans just taking up space in the rv.

PS: Buy anywhere but CW
Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #4

Wife was excited about buying our DP simply because of the washer/drier. She loves that damned thing. We have no dishwasher and wouldn't add one
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #5

Our RV gets plopped down, like it did in Bullhead City, and the toad (Wrangler) did Route 66 from Oatman to Kingman.
And Christmas Tree Pass near Laughlin.

Best of luck in your search. I'm picky. Took me almost 3 years!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
"Buy your last RV first". Wish I had followed that years ago.
Shop.......... shop................shop!
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #7

We bought a new 2013 Itasca Meridian 34B last November. Camping World is in the same bldg as the Winne dealer. All warranty work has been done at the dealer, tow bars at CW, brake system at another dealer. Shop, Shop, Shop and enjoy the experience. I probably could have gotten a better deal by going out of state, But we found the unit we really wanted. We used the kids inheritance. DW really wanted the washer/dryer. Never have used either one. The king bed was a real plus and has been worth it for us. The icemaker is difficult to winterize and could be left off, however the residential fridge is a top add on. Note, the water heater access is difficult to manage, but do-able and not a deal killer for us. The shorter wheel base, versus a larger DP, is not as drivable as the 40+ rigs on the interstate. But our smaller size allows access to campgrounds and side roads not as easily utilized by the bigger DPs. Trade off. Bottom line, we love our purchase and look forward to extended weekends as well as month long trips.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We don't use our washer/drier. Tried it once just to see how it worked. At any of the campgrounds they have large laundromat type facilities. That way it's in and out, done.
A dishwasher we'd NEVER use. Nothing like it being at camp, outdoors and doin' the dishes in a small tub of water. Maybe that's just us. My wife grew up on a farm where you would carry water from the well. Heat it and do dishes in a basin just the same. Old times.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #9

We love the w/d if you just do a load every
day or two , and it works great. Nothing like arriving with everything clean and put away!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Good advice so far IMHO. We're among those who wouldn't give up the space required to have either a W/D or dish washer... especially in a smaller coach. Sure haven't missed them. Members seem to be polarized on these things. They either can't live without them or see no value from them. Just different strokes.

Accessibility is something to consider when selecting the size of your new rig. It sounds as though you'll be either full time or doing a great deal of travel... so make sure you don't buy too small.

As mentioned, CW doesn't seem to have a very good reputation around here. You might look at RV Service Reviews to read what other people with direct experience think about them.

It doesn't hurt to buy from a local dealer so your warranty work can be done conveniently, but many folks purchase from dealers away from home and don't seem to have a problem getting service while traveling. Many dealers will tell you that you'll have a hard time getting warranty work done from a dealer you didn't purchase from but I think it's more of a sales line than reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
We love the w/d if you just do a load every
day or two , and it works great. Nothing like arriving with everything clean and put away!
Hey dsbear... does this mean you have access to the w/d while in travel mode?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #11

Rick,

Absolutely, as long as the genny is running. DW may have to crawl a bit, but usually start before departure and fold at a stop.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
Rick,

Absolutely, as long as the genny is running. DW may have to crawl a bit, but usually start before departure and fold at a stop.
Cool.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for the advise. I recall the need to add steering input as 18 wheelers past us on the interstate. Is this phenomenon more mitigated by a tag axle or mostly a function of length?

...Richard
Old 04-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #14

We bought a 38 foot Holiday Rambler Navigator from CW three years ago. Will never make another purchase from them as their service is sub par. Took months to work through the pre sale negotiated punch list. If I had not been insistent about them fixing what they agreed to I feel they would have been more than happy to never see me again. Then broke down on the road three times in the first year. I feel we have a solid coach now and make several trips a year up to +2000 miles. We have a washer and dryer and use it often. As others have stated look until you find what fits your needs. If you buy used be sure to keep some reserve for repairs that will inevitably happen. If the coach is new enough buy the extended warranty and always have a RV roadside service plan.

Tags
purchase