Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #15

We ordered our Canyon Star with the upgraded solid wood cabinets and fiberglass roof. Another plus is the 26k lb. chassis.
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2018, 08:28 PM   #16

My FR Georgetown has wood cabinets and a FG roof
Old 03-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #17

My Tiffin has fiberglass roof and wood cabinets as std. Why Newmar choose to make them optional????
Old 03-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Questions on a gas coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
My Tiffin has fiberglass roof and wood cabinets as std. Why Newmar choose to make them optional????

To answer that question properly one would have to compare all of the standard features on the Tiffin with all of the standard features on the Newmar and all of this in light of the relative price points.

It is not even clear to me precisely which gas model coach we are discussing in these two makes. I admit to not being well versed on the Tiffin lineup, but on the Newmar side, they make three different gas Class A coaches with a wide variation in price and features.

One could ask why any manufacturer chooses to make any particular feature standard or optional and, of course, it all comes back to the price point.

From a buyers perspective, it’s nice to know that desired features are available, and if a particular feature is not desired, one should be glad it’s optional so you are not required to pay for something you don’t want or need.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #19

My 2007 Fleetwood Southwind has pretty much what you would want. Mostly wood cabinets and a TPO roof that is basically hard plastic. No rubber for me. I bought a low mileage unit for all these reasons and more couple years ago. Got for half the original sales price, clean, 22.5 alloy wheels, good gen, full body paint etc.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post

From a buyers perspective, it’s nice to know that desired features are available, and if a particular feature is not desired, one should be glad it’s optional so you are not required to pay for something you don’t want or need.
Well said, I agree everyone may not have the same desires, options are a good thing.

Steve
Old 03-30-2018, 06:53 AM   #21

OP here. I should have said I am looking at a used gas coach in the 35' range with the 2 questions.

I looked at a used Tiffin Allegro gas and it had a rubber roof and vynal wrap, so maybe those are option items on a Tiffin. I remember back in 2001, when we bought our Newmar 5th, you could get a Dutch Star pusher with wrapped cabinets or solid wood. So the blanket statements aren't always correct.

That said, I am leaning toward trying to find Tiffin, Winne, or Newmar. What I really want is a 35' pusher, like my old Safari, everything solid wood, huge storage, fiberglass/filon roof and after 17 years of use, everything worked when I sold it.

Keep the thoughts coming, trying to learn gas coaches.

Thanks Jim
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #22

On cabinets and well built gas Class A's, besides the ones mentioned so far. Tripple E have a good reputation. The later years of the National Dolphin also were well built with solid wood cabinets too. And depending upon the coach, Rexhall had some unique layouts and wood cabinets, as well as they have one piece fiberglass roofs, and steel frame safety cage around the front of the coach.

Happy hunting,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
What I really want is a 35' pusher, like my old Safari, everything solid wood, huge storage, fiberglass/filon roof and after 17 years of use, everything worked when I sold it.

Keep the thoughts coming, trying to learn gas coaches.

Thanks Jim
If what you really want is a DP why are you looking at used gas coaches? Our 02 Journey has all those features right from the factory. She might be old but she still runs great.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:15 AM   #24

I understand Newmar makes a low end gas Baystar and comparable Canyon Star which competes with Allegro Open Road. I cannot think anyone would order without glass roof or solid wood cabinets. Imho Newmar makes too many options which should be std. That is why I would not consider the brand. Tehi.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:50 PM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
I understand Newmar makes a low end gas Baystar and comparable Canyon Star which competes with Allegro Open Road. I cannot think anyone would order without glass roof or solid wood cabinets. Imho Newmar makes too many options which should be std. That is why I would not consider the brand. Tehi.
One thing in favor of the Newmar is that it should never have any delamination with the way they construct the walls. Not sure about Tiffen.
As for these options, at least they are there and available. Have no idea what the final price would be, comparing apples to apples.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #26

Been a long time since I saw a newer coach with delamination. I think they solved that problem years ago. Only problem we had was finding a Canyon Star at any dealer as I think Newmar concentrates on the high profit DP’s. They don’t seem to build very many. Then there is the issue of finding one in stock with the options you would want as there are so many options. (Way too many).
Old 03-31-2018, 08:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
If what you really want is a DP why are you looking at used gas coaches? Our 02 Journey has all those features right from the factory. She might be old but she still runs great.
Thinking of the purchase cost, maintance cost, and the fact it will be 4-6 month use coach. That said, after looking at used gas coaches, so far I have not seen one I would consider. I am in the RGV, TX. And selection of MH's is pretty slim. More trailer stuff down here.

Thanks for the thoughts, I may have to adjust my thinking one way or the other.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:48 AM   #28

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
Thinking of the purchase cost, maintance cost, and the fact it will be 4-6 month use coach. That said, after looking at used gas coaches, so far I have not seen one I would consider. I am in the RGV, TX. And selection of MH's is pretty slim. More trailer stuff down here.

Thanks for the thoughts, I may have to adjust my thinking one way or the other.
Have you looked over PPL's inventory.... https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas