Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

Questions solo driving

Hi all sorry so long. I have Question about driving and parking for the night ect in a 40 plus ft motor home. We were full timers in a 5 Th wheel never drove it. Then we came off road and traded in truck and rig for a 24 ft winnabego view. I love driving it. Have made several solo trips able to whip In anywhere have finally gotten comfortable passing.

Well missed being with hubby who works all over US on projects. Last year spent approximate 8 moths on road with him here and there. This year we decided to just go full time

We would really like a 40 ft plus entegta or Newmar but my biggest concern is I love the freedom of leaving him at a hotel and zippy over to spendtime with grand babies etc. I know I won't be able to stop at any Starbucks or campgrounds anymore but ok with that.

My question is this doable by myself.

If I feel to nervousness during test drives I guess will rethink whole thing.

All depends on this test drive.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi - I believe you will get to feel comfortable in a 40'er as you did the 27.

Not sure what you meant by not being able to zip around?

You would be able to do the Starbucks and grand babies trip in your towed vehicle.

I would test drive gassers and diesels - big difference in both.....

You will do fine - I have faith in you!! LOL

Take care, keep us posted.

g

Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #3

Driving ANY kind of vehicle requires training, and practice. I bet you (and everyone else on the planet!) were as nervous (or more) before your first bicycle lesson. You probably skinned your knees too, learning to ride that bike.

Then the cars came! DL test,......were you nervous? Of course you were. I know I was.

So if you think you will sit into the seat of that "bus", and drive it like you drove the tour bus full of people through the tight Mediterranean towns your whole life,.......it won't happen! You WILL need TRAINING, and PRACTICE. You didn't get off that bicycle, and gave up, did you? I'm sure you didn't give up on driving cars, and getting your DL.

So why in the world would you base your decision on buying a bus, on ONE test drive!?

Get what you want, take it out in the safe (and BIG & OPEN!) parking lot (in some industrial complex at night when nobody is there!!), have your "spotter" with you, and.........PRACTICE. You'll be a "bus driver" in no time!
Old 03-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
Driving ANY kind of vehicle requires training, and practice. I bet you (and everyone else on the planet!) were as nervous (or more) before your first bicycle lesson. You probably skinned your knees too, learning to ride that bike.

Then the cars came! DL test,......were you nervous? Of course you were. I know I was.

So if you think you will sit into the seat of that "bus", and drive it like you drove the tour bus full of people through the tight Mediterranean towns your whole life,.......it won't happen! You WILL need TRAINING, and PRACTICE. You didn't get off that bicycle, and gave up, did you? I'm sure you didn't give up on driving cars, and getting your DL.

So why in the world would you base your decision on buying a bus, on ONE test drive!?

Get what you want, take it out in the safe (and BIG & OPEN!) parking lot (in some industrial complex at night when nobody is there!!), have your "spotter" with you, and.........PRACTICE. You'll be a "bus driver" in no time!
I really hope so. I will take your advice and keep moving forward we are driving down to Dallas area to look at Nerwmar and Entegra to drive both. Will update. Again thank you
Old 03-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Msterry;2988091]

My question is this doable by myself.

Absolutely!!!!

I have taken our 40' to campgrounds or to service appointments many times by myself. If you get in a situation that requires a spotter for parking there is always someone available. I still rely on my mirrors, cameras, and getting out & looking but sometimes an extra set of eyes is helpful. Even hooking up/disconnecting the toad is easy & doable.

You are correct that dropping into Starbucks or grocery stores requires planning as well as fueling stops.

My advice....go for it!!!!
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know "Frantz" She's done it and and so can you!

PS: To "Frantz": See you two in Sept!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We started out with a 31' Class C. My wife drove it all by herself going to dog shows. We now have a 38 PKD Windsor and my wife has taken this all over the eastern USA solo. So yes it is doable.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
It's definitely doable. I'm currently on a month long solo trip in my 40ft Tiffin Phaeton towing a Ford Edge. This is my second month long solo trip. I retired last year but my wife (a teacher) has a couple more years to work. Since I don't have my spotter, I try to find places with pull-through sites. But can handle back-in sites when needed. Just take your time and get out to look if not confident. I look forward to having my DW traveling with me but have enjoyed visiting my daughter and parents.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would never consider not having a toad. Why would you want to zip around in a vieacal that gets 3-5mpg in town when you can have an easey to park/manuver toad that gets 30.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #10

Danielsand. Very well said. I can't agree more.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #11

There is no reason why you can't be comfortable driving around in a 40' MH. Hooking up a toad is very easy to do with the correct system.

Several years ago I was at a CG in New Hampshire, and there were three coaches parked down from me, 2 Cornerstones and a King Aire. I didn't think much of it until I realized that the operators of these coaches were women in their late 60s. They liked to travel in style and did it all by themselves. That said I know anyone can drive any size RV, if they take the time to learn it.

Go for it!

Best of luck and Happy Trails!!
Old 03-23-2016, 02:16 AM   #12

I wouldn't have any concerns, it is just a matter of adjusting and being aware of your size and surroundings. I don't understand why you think you can't go to campgrounds, if you don;t want to unhitch get a pull through spot................

We just moved from a MDT+38' 5th wheel to a 36' MH + toad. All in all, much easier to drive and maneuver.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #13

Last year I volunteered to work parking at an FMCA event.
There were lots of people that could hit the marks for a parking space without any guidance from us. (Then there were the others...)
(The same goes for OTR drivers by the way.)

When you get the coach, take a friend and a trash can (plastic) to a commercial parking lot when it is empty on a weekend. Practice getting the two left side corners in the right place. Nothing else matters.

It will take practice, but my wife has learned to do it.

Frank
Old 03-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #14

Than

I am getting less anxious and very excited. All the encouragement has been wonderful. We are going to touch feel and test drive this Friday. We have narrowed our search down to Newmar and Entegra. Will let you know how it goes