Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

Quiet Water Pump

Hello All,
Curious as to who out there has a really quiet water pump in their RV. I have a Shurflo but it is really loud and want to upgrade it with something that is very quiet and am looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Curt
hobbyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #2

Smile quiet water pump

We have a new 2011 5er with a small airplane mounted under the bathroom. (At least that is what the water pump sounds like). We talked to our Bro-in-law & he said just make a longer intake hose than what came with the pump & make a loop in it. They call it the firemans loop. What makes the noise apparently is the water pressure coming into the pump & hitting the valves inside. Give it some more length & make a loop. Hope this helps. Jeannine
Old 05-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #3

Thanks so much. I will give that a try. Sure beats spending the extra money if I can make that work.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyhawk View Post
Thanks so much. I will give that a try. Sure beats spending the extra money if I can make that work.

Please leave a blog to let us know if that works. I too, as well as MANY other have that same problem.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #5

Will do.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Mine was not excessive with noise but I was able to make it considerably quieter with Pipe insulation around hoses
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #7

They make Pumps That are the shurflo whisperking But also They have the silencing water lines. Most of the noise comes from the lines Ive insualted water lines with foam and mounted the water pump in an area that is less likely to cause a loud vibration these things all help. Rv Tech For 10 years
jcc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #8

I will give that a try as well. Mine right now is in the best spot it can be in right above the LP tank and next to the water tank. I know for sure that the line from the tank to the water pump is very short and directly to it so I will see if that works and also will insulate the lines that are right there. Hopefully it works.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc1983 View Post
They make Pumps That are the shurflo whisperking But also They have the silencing water lines. Most of the noise comes from the lines Ive insualted water lines with foam and mounted the water pump in an area that is less likely to cause a loud vibration these things all help. Rv Tech For 10 years
Did you insulate the water lines on both sides of the pump and did you rubber mount the pump?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #10

Lines are not insulated right now and from what I can tell the previous owner just mounted it to the framework. That probably has something to do with it as well.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #11

As A tech I Usually Can Always hear the water pump a little this can help me when determining if it has a water leak cause it will cycle without any water on but it should be quiet enough for you to barely hear it i think with the insulated lines and maybe installing the silencing kit you will notice a world of difference good luck
Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I installed a Flojet variable speed pump in my coach. I mounted it to the floor of my service bay with a mouse pad in between. I also changed to flexible hose connections (white bathroom hoses from Home Depot).

The pump is very quiet and only runs as fast as the demand. You can't hear it on low and you can barely hear it on high.

A side benefit to this pump, it has enough power to hook a 5/8" garden hose to it, with sprayer, and wash my coach. I've done this on a few occasions (100 gallon tank).
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #13

lol

this made me laugh Glad to hear it is quiet and thanks for the tip on hooking up a hose to wash the rv very creative
Old 05-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I was forced to be creative.....On one occasion we had to drive through a muddy highway road repair in the Grand Tetons which stuck mud to my ABS sensors. I hooked up the hose and was able to rinse off the undercarriage and solve my issue.

On another occasion, we spent a few days at an ocean front park with dirt roads. By the time we left the coach was covered in muck. We stopped at another campground that didn't allow washing at the sites. We waited for our spot to come available in their grass field overflow. I connected the hose and we washed the entire coach. Once in our site, I topped off our water tank.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote