Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #1

Quiet Water Pumps?

Anyone recommend a high end water pump that won't sound like an oil rig when I flush at 2AM?

There are some wonderful units for bilge pumps in boats but I thought perhaps they are not suitable for drinking water.

I could go to a catalog like anyone else but would prefer a recommendation by someone with actual experience with a particular model. Perhaps I should try isolating the pump or mounting it on a rubber pad but after 12 years it probably wouldn't hurt to replace it.

Best Regards,

60Vette
60Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #2

Are the bilge pumps demand activated? I am not a boater, but as there is no back pressure, I would suspect not.

Try mounting the pump to a piece of plywood with rubber bushings. Then mount the plywood with rubber bushings.

It is also possible that you are hearing water hammer in the pipes. If that is the case, you could try installing a water hammer arrester Search results for "water hammer arresters" at Ace Hardware. You will probably need some additional fittings to connect it to your PEX tubing.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Vette View Post
Anyone recommend a high end water pump that won't sound like an oil rig when I flush at 2AM?

There are some wonderful units for bilge pumps in boats but I thought perhaps they are not suitable for drinking water.

I could go to a catalog like anyone else but would prefer a recommendation by someone with actual experience with a particular model. Perhaps I should try isolating the pump or mounting it on a rubber pad but after 12 years it probably wouldn't hurt to replace it.

Best Regards,

60Vette
A couple of fixes. Pad mounting as you mention is one. Sureflo now recommends soft hoses before connecting to the Pek pipe and they even make a kit for that with all of the fittings. If that doesn't work, then try a new pump.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #4

Ours is very quiet considering we have an entry level coach. I'll have to see how it is mounted.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #5

personally I think being able to hear some pump noise could be beneficial ; for example a water line comes loose and someone says whats that noise????? And then someone says oh ---- and then runs.

One other thing ; you need to give me that vette , please
Old 05-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #6

In our last coach we used a Smart Sensor 5.7 variable speed water pump. Very quiet, and very forceful. The pump wasn't the on and off kind, but ran very slowly if only a small amount of water was needed, up to wide open if a lot of water was needed. The water flow was just like being at home. Some people have reported problems with them, but we used ours for 4 years and never had a problem. I even washed the coach once using it while the "girls" were outlet mall shopping.

When I installed it I did just like J Birder and brobox mentioned. "Try mounting the pump to a piece of plywood with rubber bushings. Then mount the plywood with rubber bushings." and I also used the soft reinforced water hose on the inlet and outlet. I plan to install one in our present coach soon.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never hear our water pump. Was wondering where it was mounted? found it under the refrig next to the furnace. It is so quiet. Why? 1st it is mounted on a rubber pad just a little larger than the pump it self. the pad is glued to a piece of plywood with a 2nd rubber pad glued under it. Now who thing is screwed in place. On outlet side of pump I found a 145 foot piece of white water house coiled. that is why there is NO water hammer. I don't know if previous owner did it or had it done but it refreshing that it is so quiet. safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #8

Edallsails, was the really that long (145ft)?
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #9

Installing a tiny expansion bladder would keep the pump from running every time a small amount of water is being used. It can be installed anywhere in the system where it's convenient.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #10

To quiet a pump.

Take a look at your pump installation. If you have rigid pipe (even plastic) then these pipes are transferring some noise to your coach. I have read articles that reveal a benefit in noise isolation by putting about a foot of flexible hose between the pump and the inlet and outlet connections to the pump.
As mentioned earlier a variable speed pump also will help, In my case my previous mh had a direct connect and no surge tank, no variable pump. I achieved a noticeable improvement by putting in a nice graceful curve of flexible tygon tubing in both the inlet and outlets of the pump. Having an arc in the tube isolates vibration generated by the pump. Also look at the mounting of the pump if it's on a hard surface make sure to get a fairly soft rubber mount under the pump again to isolate vibrations being transferred to the mh. I once saw and install where the man put an inch of sponge rubber under his pump and it was very quiet.
So try that, it's not expensive to do. For us it improved pump sound level to a reasonable level.

Loren
Old 05-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #11

X2 on the variable speed water pumps. These are not cheap, but are very quiet. I used this style pump on our previous and current Trek, and had no need to create any form of sound-deadening mounting.

(Actually, both of the pumps I used were free. A friend tried each one in his new Pace Arrow, and neither one would work. The dealer let him keep the pumps when an older style was installed, and I was the lucky recipient of around $300 worth of water pumps).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
In our last coach we used a Smart Sensor 5.7 variable speed water pump. Very quiet, and very forceful. The pump wasn't the on and off kind, but ran very slowly if only a small amount of water was needed, up to wide open if a lot of water was needed. The water flow was just like being at home. Some people have reported problems with them, but we used ours for 4 years and never had a problem. I even washed the coach once using it while the "girls" were outlet mall shopping.

When I installed it I did just like J Birder and brobox mentioned. "Try mounting the pump to a piece of plywood with rubber bushings. Then mount the plywood with rubber bushings." and I also used the soft reinforced water hose on the inlet and outlet. I plan to install one in our present coach soon.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #12

Good stuff guys, thanks.

I'll have to crawl under the washer/drier and see how it's connected. I might try insulators and the flex lines idea first however as I said the motorhome and pump are 12 years old. Might be time for a pump upgrade.
I plan on replacing the plastic toilet with a new taller porcelain model. Sounds like I'm peeing into a solo cup.

What is Pek?

Anotherone:
Toss me the keys to the Wing and we'll do some cruising.

My '60 parked next to a 2014 in Key West.
60Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too have had noise problems with water pumps since I got this RV. Part of the problem is the water pump is mounted in a formed plastic compartment Rexhall uses for the fresh and drain system. That part of the situation is unchangeable without too much work. I mounted the pump on rubber loosely to the compartment. Tried variable speed water pumps by Shurflo without any improvement. Tried a Remco pump (they do make water pumps) same problem but with the help of their chief engineer who sold me the pump at Quartzsite two years ago a solution was found. Although I had changed to a flexible hose between the pump and the pex lines the noise had continued, until he came up with using a large (1" dia) flexible line between the pump and the pex. It reduced the noise significantly due to the fact that the large diameter allows the hose to actually expand with the pulsations of the pump. Remco was going to incorporate that hose into their pump kits but if you call them they may be able to tell you where to buy it.

Tags
water, water pump