Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #1

R & R Heater Core - Fleetwood Revolution

I'm a regular viewer and an occasional responder on this outstanding forum. Although I have learned a ton of "stuff" about motorhomes just by coming here, I now find myself in need of advice or assistance.

I have a 2003 Fleetwood Revolution DP (36,000 miles) that seems to be leaking fluid from the heater core or from an unseen heater line fitting attached to the core. It appears that access to the core is available inside the coach by removing one or more interior panels. I am reasonably capable and equiped to handle this....IF I can get to the core. Although I will soon remove the panels and do some "exploratory" work, I don't want to get too far down the path to serious heartburn if this is something better left to a more experienced professional that has done this type of repair before.

If some kind soul here has tackled this repair and can pass along their thoughts or experience, I would GREATLY appreciate it! I did locate both heater shutoff valves back at the engine (Cummins) to isolate the heater core.

Thanks again in advance for any info or advice that you may have.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #2

Just a quick update on my heater leak.....

I noted a number of post views but no replies. I view that as a GOOD thing, telling me that concerns with Fleetwood Revolution heater cores may not be too common.

Anyhow, I did my exploratory work and discovered at least one, maybe two, leaking hose connections near the core. The core itself is nice and dry! (Oh Thank You Big Guy up above!) Removing the core in this coach would be a real bear of a job, so I am relieved beyond words. I will be replacing all hoses and clamps in this part of the system, and, hopefully, the problem will be gone. It sure made a mess on the floor of the coach, however it does not appear that any electrical items or other things were affected. Whew....

This really looks like poor workmanship on Fleetwood's part since the hose clamps were incredibly tight, probably cutting into the hose and eventually causing the leak. Other Revolution owners that experience a leak here might find the same situation. Sure beats pulling the core or running down to the RV place and reaching deep into the wallet!!

To all readers, have a VERY Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Old 12-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2003 American Dream and the heater core is not leaking but the Heater Valve is and need to find out what brand it is and where to get a replacement. The heater core in the dream may be the same as they used in your Revolution. but don't know. It looks like the core is packed in tight and hard to get to as usual on most heater core's. I will investigate further this weekend.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by heapbigengin View Post

I noted a number of post views but no replies.
That just goes to show there's a lot of interest but no knowledge about it. Thank you for the update.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #5

A further update.....

Yesterday I replaced the hoses (AND clamps) that run from the heater core, through the firewall, to the exterior connection (under the hood) where the two main lines from/to the engine are mounted. I then opened up the main heater shut-off valves at the motor area and ran the motor at high idle for approximately 25-30 minutes, ensuring that the temp gauge reached and maintained the 195 degrees point. I could feel the hot coolant flowing through the lines, and the warm air coming out of the vents was oh so nice! I could find no leaks at any of the new connections, and the heater core still seems dry.

In the next day or two, I am going to light several more candles and repeat the above just to be sure before I "button it up". I am still not 100% convinced that a pinhole leak is not lurking in there somewhere....have discovered that in the past. I have had to address/repair my share of issues on this used coach, but I'm gettin' there....I think! Still love the thing. Hopefully I dodged a bullet this time re the core. I'll post a follow-up in a couple days in case there are some that may be in a similiar situation.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:30 AM   #6

It Seems Fixed!!

Hopefully, this will be the last follow-up re my heater leak.

Since replacing the hoses and clamps, I have started the coach a second time, bringing the engine up to and maintaining 195 degrees at fast idle (1,000 RPM). I have again viewed the core several times, and all is dry. No connections are leaking, and I can see no evidence of additional leakage. I think I am now out of the woods on this thing. Thank You Big Guy above!

The leak has created a bit of a mess on the floor, but nothing that cannot be dryed out reasonably. I am just glad I did not have to remove/replace the core.

I have updated this post and provided my progress in the hope that others will have a bit of luck such as I. My suggestion to others is to hope and look for the obvious and simpler things first rather than to just assume the core is leaking. If anyone has any further insight or questions, please post. Thanks for reading all this....
Old 06-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #7

Thank you for the great info. I am having the same issue on a 2004 revolution. Can you tell me which dash panelS that you removed and if there were any hidden clips or screws?
Thank you
Old 06-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #8

I just aquired an 0 Discovery. No heat at the dash...I can feel warm water on one hose but no heat. Both heater hose vales bu the engine are on. I "might" have an air loc/bubble OR the heater valve is gonzo. I'll have to dig a tad deeper.
I "believe" Fleetwood used Evans Tempcon units. My 93 Pace Arrow Diesel has an Evans Tempcon unit. Sniff around this site;
http://www.evanstempcon.com/serviceparts.php
Old 01-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #9

05 Revolution under dash coolent leak.

I see where at least two of you seem to have HAD the same issue I now HAVE. I just started out on a winter trip south and ran the heater heavily coming over snow covered passes. When stopped at a slightly warmer California campground I noticed coolent dripping on the frame near the generator. Upon examination it appears to be coming from the interior, under the dash and thus near the heater core. If I reach behind the drivers footwell towards the center area I can feel wet floorboard. I can feel the two lines that come through the firewall and at least two clamps. These fittings seem dry.

I guess my main question is how is the best way to get into the area wher I can find the leak? It sounds like Heapbigengin may know?

Thanks

Bob
Old 01-18-2016, 02:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaresadog View Post
I guess my main question is how is the best way to get into the area wher I can find the leak? It sounds like Heapbigengin may know?

Thanks

Bob
Gosh, how time flies. Can't believe it's been over 5 years since I tackled this problem. On top of that, I recently sold this coach. I will try to reconstruct, as best I can, what items I had to remove to gain adequate access. The key here is Adequate so that you can get in there and really resolve the issue. Like you, I could feel the hoses and clamps by the footwell. However, there was just no way I could know what the source of the leak was or have enough room there to repair it.

First, I would advise that you immediately shut off the coolant line valves underneath near the engine....should be 2 of them. You don't want any more coolant leaking on the floor if possible. Second, understand that gaining adequate access to this area will be time consuming and tedious and will require some hand tools to remove a number of panels in the area. A reasonable amount of mechanical aptitude is helpful as well. And please remember....I am trying to remember how I did this 5 years ago with our motorhome no longer here as a reference.

I don't recall that I could gain adequate access through that removable panel underneath the radio & HVAC controls. I decided at the time that I had to remove the dashboard to gain access from the top and to gain access to other adjacent panels. In order to do that, I had to remove the garnish panels from the main windshield 'A' pillars. I recall I also had to remove some miscellaneous hardware as well. There are numerous screws, covers, etc., so care here is necessary. Pictures and plastic bags would be very helpful.

For my repair, I decided I also needed to remove the curved plastic panel to the right of the HVAC/radio controls....important since removal of this panel gave me a "straight shot" to the problem area. Unfortunately, as I recall, it was not possible to remove that curved panel without first removing the dash panel, as mentioned above. The problem is made worse re the curved panel because of the way it is mounted to the adjacent carpeted vertical panel on the passenger side....it's a wierd deal. And, thus, there was no real way to get in there without removing the dash panel. I remember I had to break a fastener in that area to get the curved panel off. However, I was able to resecure the panel after the repair by drilling a hole in the curved plastic panel and securing the thing with a large screw. When you get into that area, I think you will quickly see the problem and the solution.

Once you get all that stuff out of the way, access is very good and the problem should be evident. Hopfully, you will just have to replace the coolant hoses and clamps like I did....and not the heater core. If the core is leaking, I can't really remember how tough that may be to remove/replace. But now you can get at it with these panels removed....I think.

Hope that helps. If you do it the way I did it, it will take time and patience. Please let us know how this turns out for you. Especially if you find an easier way than I did!! Best of luck.....
Old 01-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #11

Thanks for the reply. I kinda dug around yesterday and saw what you mean about the panel on the passenger side. I think I'll hope for warm weather until I get home and have my shop space and time to work with. I've spent the last two days drying everything out and I'm going to drive about 100 miles on Wednesday with the heater controls off. If that keeps things dry I'll leave it that way, knowing if the windshield fogs up while driving I have the option of hitting the defroster. If it leaks I'll shut the valves off back by the engine.

Just curious, since you sold your revolution, did you buy another MH? If so, what did you get? I think the revolution might be a hard act to follow.

Bob
Old 01-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaresadog View Post
Thanks for the reply. I kinda dug around yesterday and saw what you mean about the panel on the passenger side. I think I'll hope for warm weather until I get home and have my shop space and time to work with. I've spent the last two days drying everything out and I'm going to drive about 100 miles on Wednesday with the heater controls off. If that keeps things dry I'll leave it that way, knowing if the windshield fogs up while driving I have the option of hitting the defroster. If it leaks I'll shut the valves off back by the engine.

Just curious, since you sold your revolution, did you buy another MH? If so, what did you get? I think the revolution might be a hard act to follow.

Bob
You're welcome. And I agree it would be easier working on it at your place rather than in an RV park. Hopefully your solution will be similiar to mine and not the heater core.

Re our motorhome, no, I have no plans to replace it.....we are now focused on another dream far from the RV hobby. That's why we sold the coach rather than have it sit. And the Revolution? We both loved it for sure.....an outstanding coach for the money. Bottom line is.....would I recommend a well-maintained, documented Revolution to a family member or close friend? Absolutely! Best of luck with yours....and please let us know when you can what the issue turns out to be on your coach. Thanks!!
Old 03-30-2016, 10:00 PM   #13

Just to close this out I thought I'd give an update. We drove home from SOCAL last week and darn near froze to death climbing up out of Lake Shasta and then crossing the Siskiyous. I knew if I ran the defroster I'd lose coolant and maybe overheat but was not sure about the heater and didn't want to chance it.

Got home and opened up every inspection point to under the dash to see if I could pinpoint the leak. The wettest area was all around the supplemental defroster unit on the drivers side. By reaching in and feeling around while the defroster valve was open and engine was running, I finally pinpointed the leak to a dang hose clamp right at the defroster core. Tightened the clamp and the leak stopped! Ran a fan to blow under the dash for a few days to dry things out and all is now good?

So happy because that defroster core would have been a bugger to R and R.