Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #1

R V Driving School

Has anyone tried RV Driving School out of Atlanta, Ga? My wife is intimidated by the size of the RV and lack of maneuvering room. I am hoping the driving school can help her get a little more confidence.

35 foot Newmar Scottsdale 2006
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
No regrets for either of you.

We took it and consider it money well spent, as well we use the techniques taught at every turn we make in forward and reverse. We have a 45 DP and my wife was so so apprehensive at the thought of driving it but realized both spouses/partners need to be able to drive, re: medical emergency. By day 2/2 of the RV Driving school course she was traversing the interstate exchanges in the Dallas Metropolitan area amongst dense traffic with ease. She now looks at me from the co-pilot seat and says I want to drive (not do you need me to).

Men - just because your a guy and think you know it all about driving, the RV Driving course will teach you techniques that will raise you're confidence.

Ladies - you'll be driving as well with ease and enjoying it.

Note: will also increase your insurance agent's (and underwriter's) confidence in the form of a discount when you produce your certificates of completing the RV Driving School 2-day course.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #3

Thanks for the review, would you please pass along the name of the school you attended. If not appropriate to mention in the public thread, please pm as my co-pilot needs to get comfortable behind the wheel and I am sure I could learn a ton too. Cheers!
mooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #4

Here's the web site and it shows all the locations. They're scattered across the U.S.

We also agree that both should know how to drive and do it often... not just occasionally. It will keep your skills up. Both should also know how to do all the hookups. You never know when injury or illness arises.

We always took turns each time we moved from place to place. However, on our all summer trip to Alaska we took turns every day so the other could enjoy the views.

There's no reason women can't drive. It doesn't require strength.

RV School
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #5

My wife is a retired school teacher. She talked with the person that teaches the bus drivers and got trained. Great alternative since there were no RV schools near to where we live.

Sent from my TM800A612RG using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Also, you may want to check with some of the local school systems and see if they have an in house driving course or what companies they use. You may be able to get a course cheaper this way.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #7

My spouse and I just took the drivers confidence course at Lazy Days in Tampa. It eased my mind to know I could actually drive our rig when we pick it up. They teach the dot system which are placed on your windshield and mirror and gave many more suggestions when traveling. I think the bus drivers course is another great idea.
kdjshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:54 AM   #8

Check out YouTube. Lazy days has the tutorial on using the dots. Very good. Also others on tail swing and wheel tracking.

mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:00 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvs View Post
Check out YouTube. Lazy days has the tutorial on using the dots. Very good. Also others on tail swing and wheel tracking.

The You Tube videos are good but nothing replaces that practical training provided by the RV Driving school's personal trainers.

They interview you, assess your skills then provide tailored training all of which better ensure your success. They are also a great bunch of folks many of which are full timers and/or former CDL instructors.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvs View Post

As much as I dislike Lazydays for other reasons they do provide a good driving course. Also, if you bought from them the course is free. Can't beat free and an insurance discount to boot. I've been driving a class A for years and just recently took it. I learned quite a bit. And as others said, practical driving experience does not compare to watching a video.
Highly recommend attending a course
Old 01-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #11

Another alternative

There's a trainer that comes to you, wherever that may be.
Check out RV Safe T.

That kinda makes more sense to me than driving quite a bit to get to your instructor.

Good luck!
cruiseruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
As much as I dislike Lazydays for other reasons they do provide a good driving course. Also, if you bought from them the course is free. Can't beat free and an insurance discount to boot. I've been driving a class A for years and just recently took it. I learned quite a bit. And as others said, practical driving experience does not compare to watching a video.
Highly recommend attending a course
X2 on the Tampa Lazydays free class.

My wife took the class prior to us buying a coach & it made her much more comfortable behind the wheel of a 45' coach (though we only bought 43' in the end - lol).

This is a great starting point for your wife an well worth a trip to Tampa.

Very non intimidating setting & would do this before you spend for a private teacher. I think you will get more out of a private teacher AFTER you do the in person morning class at Lazydays & the afternoon behind the wheel.

The instructor is a class A coach owner & retired Florida Police Trooper & does a great class. The class is free & you can walk in. But if you want to take the behind the wheel afternoon part of the class, you do need a reservation as they only take 10 people a day behind the wheel.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote