Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
MSL

Racked front cap

I just bought a 2007 Fourwinds, Windsport, 36' 3 slides. Love it love it.
But, the windshield cracked on the way home. (We bought it in SC)
After searching for the right glass company and going through our insurance company to get it replaced, we find that the front cap is racked and causes one side of the windshield to crack and the other-side to pop out. It is unsafe to drive, they tell me. We have notified the dealership and have proof it was a pre-existing issue.
These windshields are locked in with three gaskets, not glued in, as in today's models. Has anyone experienced this issue? Is it repairable and if so, is the repair a permanent one. Apparently it's caused by hitting a bump in the road. I checked "Carfax" and their are no records of any accidents or major damage done.
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This problem typically stems from the mounting of the front cap on the chassis/body. If it is not properly aligned, or if chassis and body lacks rigidity and allows the cap to shift around, windshield problems will occur repeatedly. This was a common problem in the mid-late 90's, when coaches grew longer/heavier than the chassis was designed to handle, but I'm very surprised to hear of it in a 2007.

The floating (rubber gasket) windshield design was used to allow some windshield movement when the front end lacked rigidity, so that's a clue that Four Winds knew the cap moves a lot. Apparently yours moves even more than most, or is so cock-eyed that it is impossible to keep both sides in place at the same time.

I think a good RV body repair shop could fix it permanently, if the root cause of the problem can be identified. A factory service center would be my first choice, but I'm not aware of Thor/Four Winds having one. If the problem is the mounting of the front cap, that should be a relatively straight-forward fix. If the problem is the cap itself, then it becomes a question of a defect in that particular one or a design problem in the mold the cap was made from. If a design problem, then obtaining a new cap won't fix it. Seems like there would be numerous complaints from other Windsport owners if that were the case.

Since you apparently are in the Carolinas, I recommend taking it to Mike's RV Collision in Wilmington, NC to see if they can figure out what needs to be done. They specialize in motorhome body & frame repairs and do excellent work. They restored the front end of my coach after a major accident ($50k in damages) and it is literally better than new.

Good luck on getting somebody to pay for the repairs. though. I can foresee a lot of finger-pointing and tap dancing among Four Winds, your dealer, and the insurer.

Update: I just learned that Thor has a factory service facility in Elkhart, IN. If they handle their Four Winds brand there, that would probably be a good choice.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
MSL

Actually, I live on Cape Cod Massachusetts. Thanks for your info. We are a bit overwhelmed and crushed. Our first motorhome. But I appreciate all your thoughts. We will begin the process. I'm considering filing a "Lemmon Law" claim.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
MSL......The lemon law won't work on this. One, it's 5 years old and two, it's only had one problem.

Typically, motor homes with this issue require that a steel structure be added around thewindow frame to strengthen the opening.

Don't give up hope. I've also seen this issue resolved by a quality glass company doing a proper install. Look for a second opinion from a comoany that primarily does motor homes.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
MSL

My only issue with steel supports, will this shift the pressure point to another area and cause another problem elsewhere??

You have no idea how much I appreciate all the help. It was pretty devastating when we first received the call.

Thank you.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

And most states exclude the coach body from their Lemon Law anyway. A few exclude RVs altogether, along with any other vehcle over 10,000 lbs..
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
MSL

Well apparently it was all just a big scare. Mounting brackets for the windshield broke. Soon to be remedied.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #8

Windshield Broke

A lot of the M.H.s with a single front jack had breakage also.Friend had a South Wind also broke the same way.I had a 1996 Dodge Pick up that popped 3 in a row was all the same spot a weld had a high spot grinder fixed that no more breakage Bushman
Old 12-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Wow great news John ...hope you didn't take my advice and go back to the factory just for that, ha ha! ...best, joe
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post
Well apparently it was all just a big scare. Mounting brackets for the windshield broke. Soon to be remedied.
I sure hope you can elaborate on this with pictures or more info, something., What mounting brackets? I have a 2006 Windsport and don't recall ever seeing any mount brackets. Thanks.,
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
MSL

Apparently there are some sort of "mounting" brackets under the front cap, that take the weight of the windshields. It is rare, but has been known for them to break/bend or what have you. I'll know more when I get to the repair shop. But insurance adjuster and mechanic who viewed the pictures, all said the same thing. (Well, I said mechanic, but what ever he is)
I'll let you all know the final analysis ASAP.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update they are important. Looking forward to your very final outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #13
MSL

The final analysis doesn't make sense to me, but at least it's fixed. New supports had to be added to the cap. Theses were added from inside the coach, they removed the cabinets above the dash. Now that the cap is square, they can replace the cracked windshield and know they are working with a square hole. 7 hours to open her up, (approximately 7 hrs to fix) and 7 hours to put back together. Still waiting to hear if Boat N RV in SC will help with the approx $3k bill. No response yet. Arlington RV in Greenwich CT is the best. Highly recommended by the manufacturer and easy to work with. I hope to have the coach home this week. Bought it in OCT, might get to use it soon. Thanks for all your help. Maybe we'll see you on the road.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you got away for three grand then that is a blessing. I am hoping the dealer will pitch in andlighten the load. So sorry this has happened to you.

We know the pain. We had our MH hit in the front when it was six months old. Destroyed the front cap. There after for three years our windshield would come out at a corner. Finally a shop glued it in and it has stayed just fine.
Thankfully it was all insurance work.

However I rue the day we get a rock ding big enough to require replacement.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote