Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #15

If you are considering doing this yourself. Lower your rear MH jacks to raise the coach and use an ATV jack or something similar to lower the radiator for removal. They are pretty heavy.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 10:08 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The picture you took is of the wax valve that controls the operation of the hydraulic fan based on temperature.

If it was mine, I would remove the rad and take it to a reputable radiator shop. The radiator may be OK. It may have been punctured with something like a stone.

I would also take this opportunity to do something about the transmission cooling. If the cooling lines for the transmission run through the rad tank, I would delete that and add an additional transmission cooler. If that's not possible, I would at least have new cooling transmission cooling lines installed in the rad tank.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The rig is currently parked in the lot of the shop, driveshaft still out, and ~25 miles from home. Based on the amount of coolant I lost moving it ~1500 ft, I don't know how I could get it moved without risking the engine and transmission getting hot. I could look to see what other shops in the area since this is kind of a hub for truck repairs.

I am not a complete novice at this type of repair and if I had a decent place at the house I'd consider trying the repair. My driveway is on a hill with limited access to attempt this. I do know a mechanic with his own shop and haven't discussed him working on it. He'd done some work on my Class C in the past in the past but has commented he doesn't want to work on a diesel, although he had worked on heavy equipment in the past. Money talks though.

I'll wait and see what they say on Monday and go from there.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #18

In am just starting to looking at DP and tiring to learn as much as I can so I know what I'm looking at. I also like to doing as much work on the MH as I can. So here is my newbie question. What is CAC stack?
Old 05-31-2015, 02:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
In am just starting to looking at DP and tiring to learn as much as I can so I know what I'm looking at. I also like to doing as much work on the MH as I can. So here is my newbie question. What is CAC stack?

The CAC is "charge air cooler". The compressed air from the turbo goes to an air to air radiator that sits either in a sandwich with the coolant radiator or above it. The usage of the term "stack" just refers to the components generally bolted up in a package which are then mounted with the fan(s) to cool all the things that need cooling. There may be a small radiator for hydraulic fluid and possible an A/C condenser also in the "stack".

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The CAC is "charge air cooler". The compressed air from the turbo goes to an air to air radiator that sits either in a sandwich with the coolant radiator or above it. The usage of the term "stack" just refers to the components generally bolted up in a package which are then mounted with the fan(s) to cool all the things that need cooling. There may be a small radiator for hydraulic fluid and possible an A/C condenser also in the "stack".

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Thanks for the lesson. As I am reading it, I asked myself, why didnt you just google it. doh
Old 06-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #21

Cause the folks on here are smarter than Google!!!
speerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #22

If you change the coolant to Extended Life Coolant (ELC) type (usually OAT) be sure to get the correct coolant filter to go with your extended life coolant. Here is a link to excellant Article by Mark Quasius Diesel Engine Coolants

Good Luck!

Tags
radiator