Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #1

radiator/charge air cooler/fan controller

We are in Sun City, California & we are having radiator problems. At least that is what we have been told! We went to a repair facility because of our BAD fuel mileage & they diagnosed the problem as a charge air cooler is bad,also our fans are running all the time--so they say we need a new fan controller--which takes 3 weeks to get,& also the radiator is leaking & needs to be replaced! Any suggestions for good repair facilities in this area. We have an aluminum radiator & everyone says they are no good. Any one else have a different opinion. Thaks, Pat & Patty
Pat andPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may want to look at rvservicereviews.com

Redlands Truck and RV is not to far away and seems to get very high reviews. Also what about your chassis manufacture for service.

Good luck
Old 01-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You are looking at a LOT of money there...a second opinion is a good idea if it is drivable. All three at once is pretty unlikely.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Radiator issue

Hey Pat
I am wondering why, or if the radiator being aluminum is realy a problem

Anybody else have issues with the aluminum radiator with the 400 or 525 Cummins

Also am currious about my radiator now since we have a Monaco product also

How about it guys any Techies out there want to help us out

PLEASE!!!

Terry er a Trouble
Old 01-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
At least in general terms, there is nothing wrong with an alluminum radiater.
Many rads these days are aluminum with plastic tanks glued on, I don't like those but that's just me.

A radiator that is leaking is bad and must be fixed or replaced. Leaks leave "telltails", you get under there yourself and look for the evidence.

I'm not sure how a charge air cooler could be bad...
I suppose it could leak?
It could be dirty on the outside, and lose effectiveness due to reduced airflow, pull it out if you need to, or find another way to clean it.

The cooling fan controller just needs to be checked out.

At least on rear rad coaches, most of the problems you describe will most often be caused by the crankcase vent tube vomiting oil vapor on the red and charge cooler. Dirt sticks to the oily parts and gunks everything up to the point that airflow and effiecency are greatly reduced.

Nothing a quart of simple green and a pressure washer won't fix.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Having replaced my rear side mounted radiator in fall 2010, I'll add a few comments. Our 8 year old radiator failed due to corrosion of the copper fins. The radiator had plastic tanks so it was not repairable. The new one is all copper so it can be recored if needed. ALUM radiators are a replace only part, thus I prefer copper. In order to replace the radiator the CAC had to come out. I had read that they do crack & leak causing poor performance problems, so I had it pressure checked. It was ok.

A leaking radiator can allow the engine to run hot enough that the fans will be asked to run more often. I'd check & repair the radiator & CAC parts before looking too hard at the fan controller.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pat & Patty, I am in a thousand trails park in Menifee,CA the next town to Sun City. If you need any help. Also I would recomend Redlands Truck & RV in Colton,CA not to far from you. I'll bet that you are at Richardson's RV. which is on the 215 about three miles from me. Nothing wrong with covering all the bases, but it can sure flaten the wallet.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #8

Normally it is the connecting boots on the charge air cooler which can leak by if they get detoriated but mostly are only oil soaked and can be removed/cleaned and replaced making sure they are tightly clamped. A trick to keeping them from leaking when reinstalled is to spray the inside of the boots with hair spray which seals them.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote