Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
He said to back off the cap a notch and see what happens. Any truth to that?

My advise is definitely NOT. One thing I did notice looking @ your picture, there is evidence of leakage on the lower part of the neck where your radiator cap goes. My thought is your cap is leaking, go to a parts store and have them check your cap under pressure. As OP stated, the correct pressure is stamped on top of the cap. JMHO and good luck.

justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 10:58 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
He said to back off the cap a notch and see what happens. Any truth to that?

My advise is definitely NOT. One thing I did notice looking @ your picture, there is evidence of leakage on the lower part of the neck where your radiator cap goes. My thought is your cap is leaking, go to a parts store and have them check your cap under pressure. As OP stated, the correct pressure is stamped on top of the cap. JMHO and good luck.
Thanks for looking at the pic. I did not turn the cap back a notch and try it. I instead replaced the cap this morning. Old cap always came on and off real hard. I mean really hard. New one works like a breeze, and the arrow points to the hose!

Old 05-25-2016, 12:35 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
With my new radiator cap and the reservoir filled to the minimum line, I gave Huba about a 30 mile jog. Motor stayed right at 180 degrees (and damn my new Koni shocks rock!). As soon as I got back home, I popped open the engine hatch and was a bit mythed to find that the level in the resorvior never changed by one drop. I felt the coolant and it was warm but not overly warm. Could have been warmed by heat off the motor as far as I know.

But as the motor began to cool, it began sucking the coolant into the surge tank which dropped the level below the minimum line. To be sure it wouldn't suck air, I added more coolant at 2 different times. Oh, I never did burp the system because I couldn't find that bleed hose.

So hopefully on my next trip there is no adding coolant to the reservoir. If I do then I'm still at square one. But this is the first time the reservoir tank has had coolant in it since I bought the unit last summer so hoping things have balanced out now.

Sounds good. No drips? Good stuff. Like I said, just maintain that level and it should take care of the air itself. You may need to add coolant a few times until all the air in the system is gone. Normal.

At some point I suggest you take a sample from the engine, transmission and coolant. Only about $25 per sample. Cheap insurance. I pull samples every fall just before I change oil and filters.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Will do samples.

Well, this morning the reservoir was completely dry. I assumed the engine sucked in all the coolant but not totally sure as it's raining again so the ground is all wet. If the reservoir had a crack in it I would have surely saw that yesterday as I was looking for it. So beats me where all this coolant is going.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:18 AM   #47

Quote:
Will do samples.

Well, this morning the reservoir was completely dry. I assumed the engine sucked in all the coolant but not totally sure as it's raining again so the ground is all wet. If the reservoir had a crack in it I would have surely saw that yesterday as I was looking for it. So beats me where all this coolant is going.

Before you put the new cap on, did you fill the expansion tank to the top? How much have you added?
If you don't see any external leaks and no signs of coolant in the engine or transmission oil, you have air in the system that needs to work its way out. Fill the reservoir to within a couple inches from the top and try again.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
I only filled it to the minimum line -- 3 times between last night and this morning. Over the last week I've added over a gallon to the system. I am getting the oil tested. Crawford Truck has test kits so I'll run get it and send it in. I feel the oil has risen on the dip stick. This is freaking me out. Crawford did say they would have time next week to do any repairs so that's good as I need to be on the road the next 2 weekends.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #49

Quote:
I only filled it to the minimum line -- 3 times between last night and this morning. Over the last week I've added over a gallon to the system. I am getting the oil tested. Crawford Truck has test kits so I'll run get it and send it in. I feel the oil has risen on the dip stick. This is freaking me out. Crawford did say they would have time next week to do any repairs so that's good as I need to be on the road the next 2 weekends.

But what about the expansion tank? Did you fill it to the top before you put the cap on? If not, you will have a huge chamber of air in the system. The expansion tank probably holds over two gallons alone.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:03 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
The coolant in the expansion tank is above the bubble, if you can believe what the bubble is telling you. I've been putting red coolant in the reservoir, and so far the bubble hasn't changed to red (still green from when I was adding the wrong coolant directly to the expansion tank.)

I sent an oil sample off today. Had a hell of a time getting a sample. Whoever last changed the oil tightened the plug to 900 pounds! At the next oil change a Fumoto valve is totally getting added. Anyway, I pulled a small sample from the dipstick and hopefully I got enough to make it worthwhile.

Another question in my research. Do I have an EGR Cooler? Other forums talk about that failing and sending coolant into the exhaust.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #51

Quote:
The coolant in the expansion tank is above the bubble, if you can believe what the bubble is telling you. I've been putting red coolant in the reservoir, and so far the bubble hasn't changed to red (still green from when I was adding the wrong coolant directly to the expansion tank.)

I sent an oil sample off today. Had a hell of a time getting a sample. Whoever last changed the oil tightened the plug to 900 pounds! At the next oil change a Fumoto valve is totally getting added. Anyway, I pulled a small sample from the dipstick and hopefully I got enough to make it worthwhile.

Another question in my research. Do I have an EGR Cooler? Other forums talk about that failing and sending coolant into the exhaust.

You don't have an EGR.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:10 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
I dumped the rest of my gallon jug of antifreeze in the reservoir. It brought the level up to maybe 1.5" below the max line. I started it up and took a short but long enough drive that I got the engine up to temp (180). Parked the coach and while cooling I watched it long enough to see it suck antifreeze down to the minimum line. Will see if there's any left in the reservoir tomorrow morning. I'll need to go buy another gallon of antifreeze tomorrow. According to my manual my system only uses about 4 gallons of antifreeze, so the fact I'm starting on gallon #2 and haven't even driven it 50 miles is keeping me freaked out. Gotta be blowing it out the pipe, or if it's still burping, that's a hell of a burp. And where is that bleed line? Maybe it's open but surely I would have at least seen a drip from it (if I have one). With a little luck I'll have results from my oil sample by tomorrow night or the next morning. Stay tuned . . . . .
Old 05-25-2016, 11:20 PM   #53

Quote:
I dumped the rest of my gallon jug of antifreeze in the reservoir. It brought the level up to maybe 1.5" below the max line. I started it up and took a short but long enough drive that I got the engine up to temp (180). Parked the coach and while cooling I watched it long enough to see it suck antifreeze down to the minimum line. Will see if there's any left in the reservoir tomorrow morning. I'll need to go buy another gallon of antifreeze tomorrow. According to my manual my system only uses about 4 gallons of antifreeze, so the fact I'm starting on gallon #2 and haven't even driven it 50 miles is keeping me freaked out. Gotta be blowing it out the pipe, or if it's still burping, that's a hell of a burp. And where is that bleed line? Maybe it's open but surely I would have at least seen a drip from it (if I have one). With a little luck I'll have results from my oil sample by tomorrow night or the next morning. Stay tuned . . . . .

The engine block holds four gallons. The whole system is 9-10 gallons.
I hate to sound like a broken record but, You need to remove the pressure cap and fill the expansion tank until it is full as in running out the top. Instal the cap. Then, maintain the level in the reservoir.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
The engine block holds four gallons. The whole system is 9-10 gallons.
I hate to sound like a broken record but, You need to remove the pressure cap and fill the expansion tank until it is full as in running out the top. Instal the cap. Then, maintain the level in the reservoir.
Duly noted. Doing that tomorrow after I buy more antifreeze. I know this thread I hijacked is getting long, but thanks for hanging with me on this issue.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:55 PM   #55

Quote:
Duly noted. Doing that tomorrow after I buy more antifreeze. I know this thread I hijacked is getting long, but thanks for hanging with me on this issue.
No problem, lots to learn.
On another note, attached is a link for an oil analysis lab with some really good information on how to take a sample and when etc. Tom, the owner is retired from Allison and was part of the group that formulated Transyd oil. I have talked to him a couple times and found him to be very helpful.

RV Oil Analysis | Leading RV Analysis Company | JG Lubricant Services
Old 05-26-2016, 12:36 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Good information. Problem with my coach is that the 1/4" tubing wouldn't quite fit into the dipstick housing far enough to reach the oil. It got held-up about 6" from that point. I could feel the change in the tube with the dipstick, but I wasn't about to force the 1/4" tubing any further.

Tags
radiator