Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2012, 07:00 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
As there is NO engine information (other than DP), my first question would be which engine & hp?
Why don't you prepare a "signature" with all that information?????

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
As there is NO engine information (other than DP), my first question would be which engine & hp?
Why don't you prepare a "signature" with all that information?????
275 Horsepower Cummins Turbo Diesel, Allison automatic transmission with an electronic shifter. Banks Programmer giving it an extra 75-100 horsepower.

1996 Fleetwood Discovery, 37'

Radiator clean inside and out, new water pump, clean air filter, the rig runs at 180 most all the time. Only on long grades pulling a heavy Jeep/towd does the temps rise to 210/20 before I pull over and let it cool. The engine cools down to 180 within a few minutes. I try to keep the rís up. The sprayer works well and the dealership tells me itís all in normal operating condition, everything checks well in my cooling system and 220 is not a problem. I was just wondering about adding water capacity to my sprayer tank.

...I like the discussion and information floating around.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #31

Have you tried turning the programmer off to see if it is the problem? A extra 100 hp will strain a cooling system designed for 100 hp less.

That ISB needs to turn much higher than 1900-2000 rpm when pulling hills. It is a rather high rpm engine. Try pulling up near governed rpm.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #32

That little ISB with the Bank system on it is just producing more heat than the radiator package can deal with When pushed to the max. If you are seeing 1200 degrees on your exhaust temps then you are close to melting a piston. Of the water temp and the exhaust temp, the exhaust is most important. You have reached the performance limit of your engine and supporting systems. Downshift until your temps start falling or stabilize at acceptable levels.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #33

Banks system came stock on the unit.
I have seen 1200 on the exhaust gauge...not regularly.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
A shut off valve will not stop the micro creepy crawlies from going "up river" and getting past your valve. They will spread along the walls of the tubing/piping and get past the valve.
The vac break in my toilet must be letting "critters" into my fresh water!! ??
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #35
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If the time comes to change coolant and you haven't already done so, try using the new OAT coolants. They seem to run about 5 degrees cooler and don't require testing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #36

Gulf Streamers Club
If you need more water, instead of putting a new tap in the tank, as already suggested, just put a T fitting in a water line. I cringe at the thought of tap water spraying on a hot radiator. Distilled, maybe, but tap water and the minerals in contains will eventually clog your fins with deposits that will ruin the radiator. Besides the main radiator, you've got inner cooler and trans cooler all stacked up together getting coated with minerals. Better to downshift and slow down, letting engine revs make the fan run faster and circulate coolant to reduce temperature. Whole lot cheaper than replacing the whole 'cool pack.'

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
The vac break in my toilet must be letting "critters" into my fresh water!! ??
If you look at a house-hold toilet it fills with a hose that is above the water in the tank and just runs water into the tank without touching the water.
In our aqua IV I just bleach the flushing groove at the top of the bowl every week to keep it clean.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Would a crack in the CAC or a dirty air cleaner or a worn out turbo cause any of his overheating problems?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
If the time comes to change coolant and you haven't already done so, try using the new OAT coolants. They seem to run about 5 degrees cooler and don't require testing.
I wouldn't use OAT coolant in a engine not designed for it it might eat your seals and gel in the motor.

Organic acid technology
Certain cars are built with organic acid technology (OAT) antifreeze (e.g., DEX-COOL[18]), or with a hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT) formulation (e.g., Zerex G-05[19]), both of which are claimed to have an extended service life of five years or 240,000 km (150,000 mi).
DEX-COOL specifically has caused controversy. Litigation has linked it with intake manifold gasket failures in General Motors' (GM's) 3.1L and 3.4L engines, and with other failures in 3.8L and 4.3L engines. One of the anti-corrosion components presented as Sodium or Potassium_2-ethylhexanoate and Ethylhexanoic_acid is incompatible with Nylon_6,6 and Silicone_rubber, and is known as Plasticizer. Class action lawsuits were registered in several states, and in Canada, to address some of these claims. The first of these to reach a decision was in Missouri where a settlement was announced early in December 2007.[20] Late in March 2008, GM agreed to compensate complainants in the remaining 49 states.[21] GM (Motors Liquidation Company) filed for bankruptcy in 2009, which tied up the outstanding claims until a court determines who gets paid.[22]
According to the DEX-COOL manufacturer, "mixing a 'green' [non-OAT] coolant with DEX-COOL reduces the batch's change interval to 2 years or 30,000 miles, but will otherwise cause no damage to the engine."[23] DEX-COOL antifreeze uses two inhibitors: sebacate and 2-EHA (2-ethylhexanoic acid), the latter which works well with the hard water found in the US, but is a plasticizer which can cause gaskets to leak.[16]
According to internal GM documents,[citation needed] the ultimate culprit appears to be operating vehicles for long periods of time with low coolant levels. The low coolant is caused by pressure caps that fail in the open position. (The new caps and recovery bottles were introduced at the same time as DEX-COOL). This exposes hot engine components to air and vapors, causing corrosion and contamination of the coolant with iron oxide particles, which in turn can aggravate the pressure cap problem as contamination holds the caps open permanently.[24]
Honda and Toyota's new extended life coolant use OAT with sebacate but without the 2-EHA. Some added phosphates provide protection while the OAT builds up.[16] Honda specifically excludes 2-EHA from their formulas.
Typically OAT antifreeze contains an orange dye to differentiate it from the conventional glycol-based coolants (green or yellow). Some of the newer OAT coolants claim to be compatible with all types of OAT and glycol-based coolants; these are typically green or yellow in color (for a table of colors, see [15])
Old 11-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #40

I put money on the culprit being the Banks tuner. The only way you get 100 more horse power is by adding more fuel. More fuel equal more heat. Most all diesel sites tell you to watch the pyro with a chip because you can flat melt a turbo if you over fuel it. That same heat is saturating the engine as well as the turbo and cooling system.
Try putting the wife in the jeep and tell her to put it in drive and floor it! ;-)
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Yep.. extra 100hp of heat.. Reason it works 'most of the tme' is 'cause you are not actually using the extra 100 hp. Long grades uphill towing at speed, however, will.. thus the overheat. The water spray was added as a quick fix..
Old 11-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #42

RS,

If you go back and read the OP's post he has a pyrometer and says it doesn't go over 1200 degrees. That EGT is totally safe as 1250 degrees is considered the safe limit for long term pulling a ISB. EGT is NOT his problem. My Cat C-7 can be pulled at 1400+ degrees safely but it has steel pistons rather than aluminum ones.

jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator