Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #1

Radiator sprayer

Radiator sprayer

Iím wondering how DP folks use a sprayer system to cool the engineÖI use mine all the time when my temp goes over 190. I have a reasonable sized tank but I am thinking of plumbing my fresh water tank into it so I can drive further without having to refill the sprayer tank.

Any thoughts on ways to plumb the two tanks? My concern is that my tanks are 17 years old and Iím afraid they might be brittle and may crack when I go through them.

Thanks,
Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #2

190 degrees is no where near too hot. 210-220 is no problem. With a 15 psi radiator pressure cap the boiling temperature of your coolant is 265 degrees.

DP cooling systems are designed to properly cool the engine they are equipped with. If it is overheating something is wrong. If yours is a rear radiator model the radiator and CAC could be plugged with road dirt mixed with slobber tube vapors. At 190 degrees your engine is not overheating. Your water spray is a bandaid hiding a problem that may not exist.

Jim

jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
190 degrees is no where near too hot. 210-220 is no problem. With a 15 psi radiator pressure cap the boiling temperature of your coolant is 265 degrees.

DP cooling systems are designed to properly cool the engine they are equipped with. If it is overheating something is wrong. If yours is a rear radiator model the radiator and CAC could be plugged with road dirt mixed with slobber tube vapors. At 190 degrees your engine is not overheating. Your water spray is a bandaid hiding a problem that may not exist.

Jim

Jim
Agree nd was gonna say the same..
Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #4

Quote:

Jim
Jim,
I never let it go over 220!!! I pull over at 210-220 and let it cool down.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #5

Blackhawk,

If your temperature regularly tries to go over 220 degrees its time to see why. That is not normal. Do you have a rear radiator? Do you clean it regularly?

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Blackhawk,

If your temperature regularly tries to go over 220 degrees its time to see why. That is not normal. Do you have a rear radiator? Do you clean it regularly?

Jim
It only goes over 220 on long grades pulling a heavy towd.

Radiator is clean, & checked regularly. I do have a rear radiator, open vent/scoop on the side and a clean air filter.

PS
when I do pull over it cools right down in a few minutes
Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #7

How do you clean your radiator? Spraying Simple Green on the engine side and blowing it through with the fan is a good proven method. A thermostat can also cause overheating. It may not be opening enough. Your water spray is a band-aid and some basic reason is causing the problem. It might not be hard to fix.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Walker View Post
How do you clean your radiator? Spraying Simple Green on the engine side and blowing it through with the fan is a good proven method. A thermostat can also cause overheating. It may not be opening enough. Your water spray is a band-aid and some basic reason is causing the problem. It might not be hard to fix.
Radiator is cleaned and flushed and working properly...

My rig usually runs at 180 it only when I run long grades with my heavy towd that it climbs to 210-220. I pull over and it cools right down.

What is overheating to you'all??
Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
Radiator sprayer

Iím wondering how DP folks use a sprayer system to cool the engineÖI use mine all the time when my temp goes over 190. I have a reasonable sized tank but I am thinking of plumbing my fresh water tank into it so I can drive further without having to refill the sprayer tank.

Any thoughts on ways to plumb the two tanks? My concern is that my tanks are 17 years old and Iím afraid they might be brittle and may crack when I go through them.

Thanks,
Dan
I can't think of a way to keep the "spray" tank from contaminating you fresh water (drinking) tank. You will have a back flow problem even with a one way valve.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
I can't think of a way to keep the "spray" tank from contaminating you fresh water (drinking) tank. You will have a back flow problem even with a one way valve.
Shut-off valve...when the sprayer tank empties, turn valve, drain fresh water into sprayer tank, turn valve off, away you go...

My concern is about/if the plastic holding tanks will crack if I drill them and install fittings.

Thanks for the discussion...interesting stuff.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
NOS will cool the radiator.
Used it to cool the radiator at Bonneville to hit 259mph in a steel bodied car.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
A shut off valve will not stop the micro creepy crawlies from going "up river" and getting past your valve. They will spread along the walls of the tubing/piping and get past the valve.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
If at this point you are only worried about cracking the plastic tanks-use a hot piece of steel or a soldering iron to melt a hole in the plastic.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #14

blackhawk ---- 2 questions. 1) what degree theromstat are you running ? 2) when it, in your opinion, over heats what are you doing ? pulling a hill? if so and you have a boost gauge, how much boost are you pulling then? are you running a exhaust temp. gauge ?

Tags
radiator