Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2015, 10:28 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Easy. Pandora on the cell phone and earbuds for her!
jt
I am usually the yakker in the family, but when we are in the moho, it is her turn to talk! Sooooo, some good music from the 60's thru the 80's is just what the doctor ordered, but only in the background. Then, my "selective hearing" kicks in. . . . .

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Gotta have the music, gotta be clear, gotta be loud enough to hear.

Crappy gear just won't cut it.

This single DIN unit is pretty easy to operate, does everything you need it to do connects to everything and even works on voice control with iPhone. Android, XM, Pandora, Bluetooth, USB.

And there are interfaces to put the controls on your steering wheel if you have a unit with remote control.

This 2 DIN unit does that too.

Speaker upgrades and make sure they are solidly mounted to a panel that produces a dead thump when you hit it. If it rings or sounds like cardboard, it needs damping.

Power to drive them Even stock speakers sound better with an amp. I don;t care how many watts it says on the front of your in-dash, you can't get more than 8 real watts out of an amp the size of a book of matches. That in-dash will clip (distort) long before you can hear over the road noise.

I can't wait to get at the audio system in our coach.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:47 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Gotta have the music, gotta be clear, gotta be loud enough to hear.

Crappy gear just won't cut it.

This single DIN unit is pretty easy to operate, does everything you need it to do connects to everything and even works on voice control with iPhone. Android, XM, Pandora, Bluetooth, USB.

And there are interfaces to put the controls on your steering wheel if you have a unit with remote control.

This 2 DIN unit does that too.

Speaker upgrades and make sure they are solidly mounted to a panel that produces a dead thump when you hit it. If it rings or sounds like cardboard, it needs damping.

Power to drive them Even stock speakers sound better with an amp. I don;t care how many watts it says on the front of your in-dash, you can't get more than 8 real watts out of an amp the size of a book of matches. That in-dash will clip (distort) long before you can hear over the road noise.

I can't wait to get at the audio system in our coach.
Thanks for all the great info, Jay! Let me know if you need a moho to warm up on before taking yours on. . .

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Our previous coach had a Pioneer AVIC D-1 stereo. It was AM/FM/XM and GPS. It had a large screen, played the directions through the radio speakers and had a peanut shaped remote that attached to the steering wheel. Great sound, adjustable at the remote and a quick push of the remote would replay the next GPS direction.

I would already have one installed in our new coach, but the OEM unit is pretty sophisticated. It only lacks a large screen and remote.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Thanks for all the great info, Jay! Let me know if you need a moho to warm up on before taking yours on. . .

Bruce
Your welcome Bruce. I used to do high end custom audio/video systems in coaches and daily drivers. Budgets from $1-50K. Go peak at Car Audio Mag, yeah, I used to do that stuff.

If we cross paths out there hit me up, set a budget and we'll get you dialed in brother.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Got an XM radio and my brother gave me a 10 disc CD changer. Both these play through FM channels on the dash radio, so when I hooked up the CD changer, I just left the FM antenna disconnected.

#1 disc, #1 track - Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again". Hit it whenever we leave the driveway.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #21

I like to listen to XM old time radio after dark, we really enjoy it. I upgraded all our speakers and added an amplified subwoofer as well.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same coach as Bill (jwmaustin) and agree with his take. My radio reception is spotty at best, and I find it frustrating trying to figure out all the stupid controls. I just stream songs from my IPhone through it. I would much rather have the simple radio that's in our outside entertainment center.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Navigator has control of the radio once outside the range of my normal AM news/talk station. We listen to books on disk (from the local library) or stream old time radio shows from the MP3 player.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Gotta have music, I have always wondered why they do not put the radio on the Co-Pilot's side of the moho? My wifey needs something to do besides looking out the window and telling me to slow down, and I think the radio/music system stuff would be right up her alley. Hmmmmm, a new project is presenting itself.

Anybody ever seen it over on the other side?

Bruce
Ours has an audio port on the radio. We have a 10ft long audio cable. Run cable from radio to naviagator/dj/copilot/cook and bottle washer/wifes smart phone and she can run pandora/iheart or whatever from her phone. She lets me control the volume from the driver seat but there is a remote for that she could use also.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:36 AM   #25

Agree with most. I don't know what I would do without music. Just listen to the road I guess.
My Note 4 gets dash mounted as I stream Slacker and use the Maps app as my GPS. Maps cuts out the music when giving directions and announces road names and everything.
I did need to upgrade to a better amplifier and added two bookshelf speakers which are on the floor under the dash. The system cranks, but doesn't need to be turned very loud with the great amount of bass and mid-range. Something the little OE 5" speakers did not have.

It's also loud enough I can crank it halfway when tailgating and fill the parking lot.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:38 AM   #26

I would not be without a radio in our MH and Tiffin puts in a nice system. For all of those that feel they are worthless perhaps the manufacturers can offer them as an option to be left off. Not sure what you might use that huge empty space for or how the next potential owner might feel about a radio not being there though.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:41 AM   #27

What's up with the stereos that they install now? Call me old fashioned but I don't like the push screen option. I do like listening to talk radio, country, rock n roll. The music list can go on and on (except rap). I use my system only for the cameras now and use my cell for any stations I want to listen to. The one in my MH is a Jensen and its been replaced once already (warranty). Wished I could find another one more compatible to my likes which would also let me use my cameras. And one wired to the engine battery.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #28

We always have the radio on while driving; usually easy listening to classical musc, unless it's time for our home town baseball team's game. What I don't like is the touch screen system. First of all it's got way to many choices, but I'm old and don't understand or use all the options. For me, the touch screen is practically useless when driving. No way can I take my eyes off the road long enough to make any changes. For my DW to make changes, she has to unbuckle her seat belt, get out of her seat, get down on her knees and then make the changes we want. We don't do this any more than absolutely necessary (at least necessary as we define it.

We do use the radio while parked when the TV choices aren't what we like.

I would prefer a push button system like I have in my car. I can set up with presets that let me switch easily from AM to FM to XM.

The safety issue of the MH system really concerns me.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, radio