Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2015, 07:27 AM   #29

Our radio is always on, it just is not tuned to radio stations. We have a couple Ipods that contain the music that we like(mostly country) and they are plugged into the radio system. I want the background sounds while I am driving. We do not listen to the radio part of our sound system as they is poor reception here once you leave populated areas. Life is boring with out some sort of music!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
If we are driving the RV, the radio is streaming Pandora from my phone and we are keeping an eye on the Jeep following us on the screen.
-ff
floridaflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Totally agree

I love my wife, but I certainly don't have 4-6 hours of conversation with her.

I rock out to the 70's music and switch to Country when I need a change. For me it's relaxing and makes the drive more pleasant. It also drowns out any coach noise.
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #32

My motorhome has a pretty basic AM/FM radio. Previously I had a subscription to XM but let it lapse. I thought I'd miss it but don't in the least.

I listen to PBS/NPR or to podcasts on my iPad. It helps while away the hours while not being too distracting.

We use the radio while parked to provide background noise so the dogs will be quiet(er) when we're away from the campsite.
195pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #33

We dont have a MH yet, but almost all the class A's we've looked at have a decent stereo system installed in addition to a dad radio.

I know you would have to run the system off the inverter, but why wouldn't you use it instead of the dash radio?
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
This is an interesting thread with a lot of differing opinions. I own a recording studio so you'd think I'd like to listen to music as I drive, but nope. I find the radio annoying and distracting; and I especially hate commercials. When we're set up for the night we watch Dish or DVDs. Seldom do we listen to music unless it's something recorded in the studio for me to check mixes or hear a demo. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433793738.332092.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	96665

Personally, I love the open road and the "silence". I do have lengthy conversations with my DW (sometimes). But when she wants to hear music she'll use our Bose noise canceling headphones while she reads a book on her iPad.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Radio and audio in an MH -we need to rethink.

I use mine all the time, both driving and parked. We use Sirius XM ( no commercials) and Bluetooth to play from the phone or iPad. We love it, awesome speakers, too. We listen to sports games, news and talk channels, and music. I'd go crazy driving across Kansas without it!

The speakerphone works well in the DP also, it's quiet up front. And most of the controls for the radio I need to access I can do so using the controls on the steering wheel.

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Going to have an audio guy look at better speakers and an amps for ours and I am going to look at a better home audio amp that has wireless to watch Netflix and the like. What the DW would like is a laptop lift out tray on the co-pilot seat for her IPad...she is usually playing her games and reading her books. The Winnie Journey had one and wish our Discovery did.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #37

I swapped out my "factory radio" with a pioneer head. Little did I know, the radio Winnebago used at the time '07, is a 1.5 DIN and the unit I bought is a 2 DIN.

An auto body saw took care of that, now I have Bluetooth, hands free phone, steering wheel control, and my favorite, USB mounted in the dash where I plug in my 27 GB flash drive, and over 5000 of my favorite songs.
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
We put an XM receiver in our old ACE and used it fairly regularly. I guess the bumpy highways eventually shook it loose. It stopped working as we were driving north on I81 one day. For several reasons, we never got a chance to mess with reconnecting it. We occasionally used the phone for music, but most trips were without music after we lost the XM. I didn't really miss it. Always used the screen for the rear camera and a separate GPS.

Fast forwarding to our first trip in the Meridian and I find a BIG difference. It is a much better unit and being in a DP makes it easy to have music on but still allow for conversation if desired. With two screens, the top screen always has my camera on and the bottom screen is showing the GPS while I'm driving. I was actually very happy to have music back. It also has a switch to use either coach or house batteries which allows us to play it when we are stopped as well. I need to check to see if there are any external speakers and add some if there aren't any. I didn't have the chance the first weekend out, but it would be nice to have the music out there when desired. Planning on checking the manuals first...

2016 Itasca Meridian 36M, 2009 Jeep Wrangler tow...
TurnTwoNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #39

I agree Firebug5. Our radio was mounted in a plastic subpanes that was cracked and chipped. I took it out, turned over and used it as a router guide to cut a new panel from 5/16" oak. The radio ended up on the co-pilot side and the finished oak looks much better than the old plastic. Next we'll do the Allison shifter panel.

DonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Gotta have music, I have always wondered why they do not put the radio on the Co-Pilot's side of the moho? My wifey needs something to do besides looking out the window and telling me to slow down, and I think the radio/music system stuff would be right up her alley. Hmmmmm, a new project is presenting itself.

Anybody ever seen it over on the other side?

Bruce
Old 06-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For those of us w/o Bluetooth but a radio that does have an external input, I found this Bluetooth adapter on Amazon. So far, its working great. Don't have to worry about running a cord to my phone. I do like to stream Pandora or a playlist from my iphone or ipod while driving, now can do it with a Bluetooth connection. I also bought a little different unit to plug into my theater system and leave it permanently hooked up.

Amazon.com: [New Version] Mpow® Streambot Mini Bluetooth 4.0 Receiver A2DP Wireless Adapter for Home Audio Music Streaming Sound System /Bluetooth Car Kits with 3.5 mm Stereo Output: Cell Phones & Accessories
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, radio