Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #1

radio problem

hey guys,
I reciently bought a charleston forest river DP.Weeks later i went to go get fuel in the dark so i turned on the headlamps.the began to flash and flicker,i went in the fuse panel and found someone replaced a number of fuses with those resetable fuses.so basically i had a dead short and the fuses would just reset and trip.I spent an entire weekend trying to track the problem down.I found that who ever installed the radio had about 4 negitive wires spliced together,well one of them was hot,Hence the short....cut all those apart and ran a new ground to the radio.Radio comes on fine but no sound.does anyone know how these things are wired because the theater system uses the same speakers so i dont know if one of those wires i have seperated powers an amp or something.just stumped.

any help would be great....
km17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #2

Most newer automobile radios use an industry standard for their wire colors. And many have on-line manuals with drawings on how it should be wired. Many vehicle manufacturers (including RVs) follow those standard wire colors.

I'd first do an on-line search for an installation manual for your brand and model. Armed with that, you should be able to figure out which wire goes to which speaker. If you separated several grounds, did you find new spots on the chassis to connect them or did I mis-understand?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #3

since it was the black wire comming out of the radio and labeled "ground" i just ran a new wire down to the chassis.but the other wires which were connected together remain seperated now.all other systems work fine so i have no clue what they are for but i guess it doesnt matter really.
checking those wires with a volt meter i found 2 wires had continuty with the ground,one had 12v. and one wasnt a ground or a hot.
obvously,i am assuming the hot with the grounds were causing the short.its just a weird system because it seems the truck has a reverse polarity meaning the negitive is the control wire.like out of the headlight switch has no power,as a typical switch would have 12v coming in,when you flip it to on it makes contact and sends the 12v. to the light or what have you.
anyway,thats all unimportant,i didnt do anything to the speaker wires and it worked fine before i cut the grounds apart.i just wonder if those speaker wires go to an amp and cutting those grounds one feeds the amp.
again,just dont know and was hoping someone can enlighten me with some experience or ideas....
Thanks guys
km17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio