Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #1

Rain gutter over windshield

Hey everybody, I usually hang out in the Fleetwood forum but I have a general info question. We have a 2001 Southwind and the rubber roof constantly casts off a white chalky stuff when the roof gets wet from dew or mist or any kind of dampness. I don't now why the mfgr's have never seen fit to put a drip rail over the windshield to stop the stuff from running down the windshield. Anyway, this brings me to my question. Some time back I saw a posting by a fifth wheel trailer owner who found some gutter material that he put up on the front of his 5er to stop the runoff from running down the front of his rig. I have been searching for this stuff now that I need it. I have found one kind but it's not the stuff that he used. He called it "J-rail" or something like that. I remember the "J" for sure but not sure about the rest. If anybody knows what I'm talking about please let me know. The stuff he used was installed with a sealer and a few small screws. What I have found is a rubberized plastic with a peel and stick tape on the back side. That's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Ray

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try Kasperwing.com! It's called J Rail and sounds like what your looking for?

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Try Kasperwing.com! It's called J Rail and sounds like what your looking for?
I went to this website but I don't see anything like what I'm looking for. Are you sure about this site? It seems to be an ultralite website. Nothing for sale.

Ray
Old 08-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try RV Parts Nation. They show an Aluminum j rail used as RV rain gutters. Hope this helps.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
This might be what your thinking of: gutter
Old 08-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
This might be what your thinking of: gutter
That's the site I recall seeing. Thanks a million. I just found out that Camping World has it in stock. Not sure if it's the same thing Bill was showing but it will work.

Thanks to all,

Ray
Old 08-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I put this same rubber J gutter material over my windshield for the very reason you are describing. I got it from CW and it works great and keeps the windshield from getting streaks on it. It's got a peal and stick backing and is easy to apply. Make sure to clean the area you are applying it to and if should work well.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
I put this same rubber J gutter material over my windshield for the very reason you are describing. I got it from CW and it works great and keeps the windshield from getting streaks on it. It's got a peal and stick backing and is easy to apply. Make sure to clean the area you are applying it to and if should work well.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Thanks for your reply. I just ordered some EZE gutter material from Camping World and I think it will solve my problems. It adheres with a peel and stick adhesive but I think I'm going to put a couple stainless screws and washers in it just to be sure. Maybe one at each end and a couple spaced out in the middle. Thanks again,

Ray
Old 08-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #9

I added the same stuff from Camping World. I followed the instructions and cleaned the RV. However, on tight corners etc, the tape did not hold, no matter how well I cleaned it. I ended up adding some stainless steel screws and a little sealant just to be safe. Now the corner bends are tight and the RV is clean. I bought the 50 foot roll and did the front, back and 2 large sections on the side that always streaked. It really helps keep the RV clean.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #10

yup ... I used this stuff ... works fine if you clean the surface thoroughly. Put it on carefully ... the adhesive is unforgiving if you get it down in the wrong place.

Essential Products RV & Marine - EZE RV Gutters
Old 08-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #11

I bought mine on eBay , put it on 2 days ago, and I also put screws in the ends. I just hope it helps my windshield.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:50 AM   #12
FDR

I bought eze gutter direct in maybe 50 ft lengths. The key is installing it after warm it up outdoors in the sun and install it in warm weather. Must clean well. I used denatured alcohol.

Server Error
Old 08-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #13

Thanks to everybody for your help. I have rec'd. my EZE gutter strip and will be installing it this weekend. I only bought the 10 ft. strip because the only place I have any problems is over the windshield. The spot where we store it in graded in such a way that everything runs forward and down the windshield. So, this should solve my problem. Thanks again.

Ray
Old 08-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
Hope you don't get any strange wind noises