Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #1

rain-water leak

I drive a 2003 Fleetwood Discovery. It is a diesel pusher and is 39' long. Water comes into the motorhome when parked and rain is coming down. The area in the storage bin above the window behind the passenger seat gets wet. The water apparently travels around the edges of the window, and then continues down the wall to the floor. I have recalked all the fasteners in the roof in the vicinity of the wet storage bin (and anything else that looks like it might allow water in), but that hasn't stopped the leak.

Any ideas about other things I might do to stop the leak?

jasperb
jasperb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #2

How about the top of the window? Or the weep holes in your window clean?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you checked the roof sidewall wrap seams on top of roof and seams were the wrap meets the side wall.
It may not be over the window area water will travel aling the seams from a distance.
As said the top of window sealent will crack first and water will travel inside to cabinets and in behind the wall paper causing the wood under it to swell or ripple.

ROOF & SEAM REPAIRS
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You might be able to isolate the location of the leak by using a water hose around the suspected areas. Like above the window but not on the roof. If that leaks then probably the problem is the window, not the roof. Also if you confirm that the problem is the window then you might be able to check the top seam of the window by putting tape above the window and the hose above the tape. If no leak, then maybe that will confirm that the top seal of the window is the problem. Windows are not hard to remove and re-seAL. I use the putty tape after cleaning all of the old gunk off. Hope this helps.

ronspradley
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #5

You probably have a patio awning mounted on the passenger side of the coach. If so, suggest you check all of the mounting hardware on the side and near the roof for loose bolts, fasteners, caulk, etc. Have had 2 cases in the past where awning lag bolts have worked out slightly over time, causing leaks. Check also the front end cap for proper sealing.

If you use the hose method, I'll pass along a techinique I learned from a very good water leak tech some years ago. He would suggest you start at the bottom of an area and go up in 1-2 foot increments if possible. If the vehicle sloped in one direction like back to front, he would go "up" the slope, again in 1-2 foot increments. In essence, he would "test" an area about 1-2 foot square in a "block" type fashion allowing gravity to do its thing...sometimes even using tape to mark each area being tested. His techique was methodical and almost always successful. Perhaps this approach could help you isolate where the water may be getting in rather than just seeing where the water is coming out. PLEASE let us all know what you find out....Thanks!!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #6

Good suggestions

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have the motorhome under a cover right now because it is the rainy season here in western Oregon. The motorhome should dry out while encased in the cover, and I will work on it when we have a little time when it isn't supposed to rain. Using a hose to identify the specific area that is leaking sounds promising, as does looking more carefully at the fasteners attaching the awning to the motorhome. I will report back when I resume work on the leak.
jasperb
jasperb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #7

2007 Southwind had a leak above the passenger seat and it was coming in thru the tube where the antenna cable came thru. The little rubber boot had slid up the cable allowing rain to come down the tube.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
So Many Places

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperb View Post
I drive a 2003 Fleetwood Discovery. I have recalked all the fasteners in the roof in the vicinity of the wet storage bin (and anything else that looks like it might allow water in), but that hasn't stopped the leak.

Any ideas about other things I might do to stop the leak?

jasperb
I used the shotgun method, just last week:

• Maybe LAP caulk a piece of 1/2" acrylic tubing to divert water from the end of the awning extrusion, out from under your awning mount bracket
  • Lift porch awning assy and dot holes from holddown screws before reinstalling
  • Caulk around porch awning electrical wires
  • Lay bead of caulk along junction of EPDM and sidetrim molding that is underneath and either side of awning fairing
  • Lay bead of clear caulk along edge of porch awning mounting strip
  • Re-caulk porch light
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
2007 Southwind had a leak above the passenger seat and it was coming in thru the tube where the antenna cable came thru. The little rubber boot had slid up the cable allowing rain to come down the tube.
I had the exact same thing happen last summer. Amasing how much water can come down that 1/2 inch hole but, I guess all the rain that hit the cable also ran right down the hole too.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #10

had the same problem with the antenna cable coming through the roof. the rubber boot slipped off. slid it back on and put a zip tie around the cable above the boot. never came off again.
BTBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #11

test leak with air pressure

This rented carpet dryer will supply enough air pressure to detect a leak using soapy water and looking for bubbles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water leak rv 012.JPG
Views:	1276
Size:	508.4 KB
ID:	19403  
Old 03-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That is what I call "getting it done". Our last RV trailer the dealer takes off the roof vent cover and attaches a blower of sorts. Fact it looks a little like a converted blower like in the above photo...

Picking up a new RV (tt hybrid) tomorrow. I'll have to do a visual to check around window and seams. I don't think the dealer I bought from has anything to check for leaks.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #13

I couldn't find anyone around that did any sealtech work. Not even camping world Springfield Mo. Some folks want to hose down the outside and see if they can spot a leak that way.
I did see lots of bubbles coming out of the rear tail lights. So I took the lenses off and sure, all the wires go thru a hole. I think in the tail lights case that the rubber that goes around the lenses diverts water around and away from where the wires go thru. As long as you have caulk around the top and down the sides of the tail light rubber I don't think water can get in that access hole.
Too bad that stuff has to go bad before you can fix it. my rv's previous owner smeared dicor self leveling caulk all over the roof seam where the cabover meets, and I thought that was good enough, even after a visual inspection. Over the years (3), the caulk worked free from the rubber roof at both corners and turned the walls to junk. I used a 6 inch wide roll of Quick Roof similar to Eternabond, I think it's good now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water leak rv 015.JPG
Views:	696
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	19444  
Old 03-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #14

JIm Jackson - great idea will park that somewhere so when (not if) mine starts to leak I can refer back. thanks for the tip

Tags
leak