RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #1

Raise or remove mud flap

I understand that some of you have raised or removed the full width mud flap. What was the reason or logic behind that?

Thanks. Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #2

Do a search in almost any forum in iRV2 and you will come up with a plethora of opinions on this subject.
I'm in the removal camp 100%

Old 06-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #3

Ditto on removal.
Jpiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron @ HHI View Post
I understand that some of you have raised or removed the full width mud flap. What was the reason or logic behind that?

Thanks. Ron
Ron, removal would be your only option without a lot of work. Entegra flap is pulled up to a stop, no room to raise it.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Assuming you have mud flaps behind the rear wheels , there are those who believe ( Iím included ) the rear advertising flap kicks up lots of small stones etc onto the toad. Therein lies the reason.
Depends on which camp your in .. opinions are strong ea way
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #6

....in general, full length mud flaps can: 1- trap engine heat, 2- cause sand and debris to kick up on towed, and 3- get caught on ground when you drop coach off bags. I love the look of my mud flap but it does cause some issues. Mine is an older flap so top edge was cracking--so trimmed it and was able to re-hang at a higher level......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Assuming you have mud flaps behind the rear wheels , there are those who believe ( Iím included ) the rear advertising flap kicks up lots of small stones etc onto the toad. Therein lies the reason.
Depends on which camp your in .. opinions are strong ea way

.... mine is in a landfill. Yes, I have a set behind the front and rear wheels.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #8

I think it depends on the configuration of your coach. I had one installed on my 2007 Discovery in 2008. For me it was total waste of money. I removed it a couple years ago, and said good riddance. I did modify the flap on the rear wheels as the flap only covered half of the duals. I widened the flap out to cover the whole dual. There seems to be lot less debris slung up on the chassis.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #9

After I spent $850 repainting the front of an enclosed trailer due to stone chips as high as six feet above the ground, I removed the big advertising flap. No more stone chips after that. My son went through the same thing with his Mountain Aire. Now with his Newell, the company was smart enough not to include a flap. No more stone chips for him either.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #10

The question was WHY. Some said "kicking up stones" but it's not touching the ground at ride height. At speed I'm sure it sails several inches above the ground. Most did not give a reason which was the purpose of the post! What is the logic?
Old 06-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #11

Quote:
The question was WHY. Some said "kicking up stones" but it's not touching the ground at ride height. At speed I'm sure it sails several inches above the ground. Most did not give a reason which was the purpose of the post! What is the logic?
What we determined happens is that the air flow under the coach would normally just flow smoothly under and out the back. However, that heavy flap does not swing up as far as one would think and causes a downdraft that gets the sand and small stones airborne. The turbulence of air behind the coach lifts the debri up and into whatever is behind. Once that downdraft is removed, the airflow is smooth again and no flying debri.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #12

The flap will hit the ground on a hard bump, like a bridge abutment. It also is an issue when entering or leaving a driveway from the roadway where there is a gutter effect on the side of the road. Park the coach, dump the air, and look where the flap is. If it is on the ground, it will also be on the road in some situations.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:

With the flap close to the ground it sets up a forward push of air in front of the flap. That forward push kicks up debris which then bounces around and usually under the flap. The closer to the ground the tidal wave if air gets more powerful. If you are going to keep the flap raise the flap so that there is 6 to 10 inches of clearance between the flap and the ground
Old 06-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I did not remove my flap. I've not any debris thrown up on my toad in 8 years. If your flap is throwing up stones it's too low.