Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
What is the socket size that you used on the drain plug?

The brass is very soft and they are easy to strip.......
They certainly are! I replaced my drain plug with a Qwik Valve....problem solved.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #16

Actually, that Kubota engine probably uses a metric size. I'll never know. Some previous owner stripped the head off of mine, and no amount of vice grips, etc. will budge it. I used a cheap transfer pump to get the old oil, replaced the filter and filled with synthetic oil.

Good to go.

Tom

TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:06 AM   #17

After a hurricane we lost power for 12 days. I ran our gas 7.5 Onan Marques 12 days only shutting down a couple of times to check oil.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:31 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
help me to understand something... generators burn oil?
Cant say Ive ever owned one that has. Plus they all come with a nifty low oil pressure switch.

Also continuous running... isnt that the ideal way to operate them? The less heat cycles on the oil the better! Of course if youre using Royal Wax Junk oil then you might want to observe a more frequent oil change interval. Use a quality oil like Motul 300v or even Rotella synthetic... you wont have oil issues.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
help me to understand something... generators burn oil?
Cant say Ive ever owned one that has. Plus they all come with a nifty low oil pressure switch.

Also continuous running... isnt that the ideal way to operate them? The less heat cycles on the oil the better! Of course if youre using Royal Wax Junk oil then you might want to observe a more frequent oil change interval. Use a quality oil like Motul 300v or even Rotella synthetic... you wont have oil issues.

Ever read a owners manual? Nifty switches never break or malfunction.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
First time for any full synthetic oil for the generator. I have only used Rotella T mineral based oil until now. Same goes for the 5.9 24v Cummins. I am going to go fully synthetic in the 5.9 after I have my head gasket replaced to address a coolant and oil leak, if all checks out with the head and block inspection when they pull the head. I will try and find that oil on sale and stock up.
I like to order My Expensive Fluids from Summit...Spend $100 and it is Free Shipping...To Your Door...3 Days Max to receive...
Old 07-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #21

Onan 7500: I ran my generator for approx. 16 hrs under load when it suddenly shut down. I checked the unit as well as I could finding nothing unusual. The unit was restarted load free and shutdown again in about 1to 2 minutes. It will start easily but will not run more than a minute or two.
I stopped by the dealer where I bought the RV and he advised me that probably the unit shut down on high temp most likely from a broken water pump drive belt. That sounds plausible to me. Does anyone have another reason for this problem? How can I diagnose the problem by checking fault codes?
Another kink is that my generator is not mounted on a slide out so must it be lowered from the mount to remove covers to reach the drive belt?
I'm new to RVing so would appreciate any info any one could provide. thank you in advance.

2004 Fleetwood Revolution 40C
Old 07-20-2015, 06:38 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Square headed plug

My 7.5K Onan had a square headed bolt for the plug. You have to have a special socket for this or you will round it off easily. Haven't checked my 8K yet to see which type of head it has. I replaced the square head with a standard head so I didn't have to remember to find my square headed sockets.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
My Onan manual says change oil every 250 hrs. Fuel and air at 500.
It ought to be good for about 10 days straight, then, eh?
Years ago, I worked for a farmer driving his service truck. I realize it's a bit different, but we ran irrigation lift pumps 24/7 for months at a time, shutting it off only to change the oil and fuel it. If memory serves, the change intervals were about the same; 250 hours. I got really good at backing the service truck down a canal bank for 1/2 mile to get to the pump in the section center. LOL.
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:50 PM   #24

Good ole oak ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38knotsDD846 View Post
Onan 7500: I ran my generator for approx. 16 hrs under load when it suddenly shut down. I checked the unit as well as I could finding nothing unusual. The unit was restarted load free and shutdown again in about 1to 2 minutes. It will start easily but will not run more than a minute or two.
I stopped by the dealer where I bought the RV and he advised me that probably the unit shut down on high temp most likely from a broken water pump drive belt. That sounds plausible to me. Does anyone have another reason for this problem? How can I diagnose the problem by checking fault codes?
Another kink is that my generator is not mounted on a slide out so must it be lowered from the mount to remove covers to reach the drive belt?
I'm new to RVing so would appreciate any info any one could provide. thank you in advance.

2004 Fleetwood Revolution 40C
When you try to start your generator then turn it off watch for the blink codes on the read light on the generator itself. The number of blinks in sequence will tell you what it knows.

My RV maintenance place is an authorized cummins repair facility. So they work on a bunch of stuff like cranes, bull dozers, motorhomes, etc. They built large oak wood ramps that can hold up a house. They drive the motorhome up on them and it gives enough room to remove the generator and easy access to put it back again.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:09 PM   #25

38knotsDD846,

First thing to check when you experiance a shut down like that is the engine oil level.

You didnt mention rather or not you did that.

Yes an overheat condition would shut it down, but how about taking a look at it from under the coach and see if you do have some visual reference to your belt.

Don't just go by what others are telling you the problem is, too many variables to factor in.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:14 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
My Onan manual says change oil every 250 hrs. Fuel and air at 500.
Same with our 12.5 Onan.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:15 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostlerab View Post
My 7.5K Onan had a square headed bolt for the plug. You have to have a special socket for this or you will round it off easily. Haven't checked my 8K yet to see which type of head it has. I replaced the square head with a standard head so I didn't have to remember to find my square headed sockets.
A normal 12 point socket will fit. One of the reasons I like the 12 point ones.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan