Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am looking at the Magellan Roadmate Pro 916. What interests me about this one was the rig specs that you enter. Suposed to eliminate running into bridges with low weight capacities, low clearance, and some of the throughways width restrictions. Also offers lifetime updates. I don't think this one is available yet either but they are taking orders at camping world or through Good Sam. Is anyone aware of this one or have an opinion on it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
I pre-ordered mine at the FMCA Rally in Madison. I can't remember if it has lifetime updates. I will have to check.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #73

I am glad to hear some people are geting their RM 7710.

If anyone has the 5510 also please let me know if the resolution and detail are any better on the 7710. I really don't think as I have heard that they changed much from the 5510 except go HD and a bigger screen.

I want the 7710 but only if the screen detail and resolution has improved.

JW
Old 10-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
I have the 5 inch 5510 RM, had lots of problems at first with the 5510, [still no answer from RM re shipping costs to repair it] it is no way as clear as my Garmin 7200, 7inch. The 5510 is very hard to see in sunny conditions. I do hope the 7 inch RM has improved.
Rebel
Old 10-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #75

Rand McNally on Facebook

Been doing a lot of internet research on GPS for RV'ers. Doesn't seem to be any one real good answer. What I did find interesting was the comments made on Rand McNally's own Facebook page Rand McNally | Facebook).

Haven't made up my mind yet but first trip out isn't until Feb 2012. I will make some kind of decision by then.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had to call Magellan about my Pro 9165T Wednesday the Bluetooth was not working right, so I asked them if the 9165T was made for a semi or a motorhome they replied mainly motorhome. For some reason when sending us home it wants us to go about 6 miles out of the way and down a very small road then cut across a alley like road to get back to the main road I asked him about this and his reply was it's harder for big trucks to make right turns so it maps it out for left turns in some places does this not make it a GPS for semi's? After thinking about it when I get off the Hwy I make a left turn then it's all right turns to our house and the way it sends us the 1st turn is right just off Hwy then all left turns till our driveway if you turn off truck GPS then it works right. I have only used it twice since last weekend and the only trouble was the Bluetooth and it just needed to be reset. As for the maps and routes I give it a 9 out of 10 and overall 8.5.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #77
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
AGAIN does anyone know who is the supplier of the mapping software? If it is some "unknown" company the unit will have a limited life span. I would consider that information the most important decision in buying the unit.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping4fun
Had to call Magellan about my Pro 9165T Wednesday the Bluetooth was not working right, so I asked them if the 9165T was made for a semi or a motorhome they replied mainly motorhome. For some reason when sending us home it wants us to go about 6 miles out of the way and down a very small road then cut across a alley like road to get back to the main road I asked him about this and his reply was it's harder for big trucks to make right turns so it maps it out for left turns in some places does this not make it a GPS for semi's? After thinking about it when I get off the Hwy I make a left turn then it's all right turns to our house and the way it sends us the 1st turn is right just off Hwy then all left turns till our driveway if you turn off truck GPS then it works right. I have only used it twice since last weekend and the only trouble was the Bluetooth and it just needed to be reset. As for the maps and routes I give it a 9 out of 10 and overall 8.5.
This is the same problem with my Garmin 560LMT. You can set it up with a truck or RV profile, weight, etc to keep you out of places you should not be but the directions and routing are based on trucks. I have a 31V and it is very easy to handling where trucks would have a problem so I should not be sent in a series of left hand turns because it is easier for a truck to turn left v/s right. Maybe some day one of these GPS manufactures will design a GPS specific to the RVer?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
In Aug we deceided to take 2 months off and travel from Florida out west. I went ahead and purchased the "new" Rand Tripmaker since they advertised that it was made for RV's. BULL !!! Every other word is "make a U turn. ( That's after you turned that part off. I set it for Highways and ended up on a dirt road up in the Mts of Tn with no place to go except to try and turn around. IN a ditch. Six hours later aftter being lifted out. Anyone want to buy a slightly used unit REAL CHEAP ?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #80

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNV View Post
In Aug we deceided to take 2 months off and travel from Florida out west. I went ahead and purchased the "new" Rand Tripmaker since they advertised that it was made for RV's. BULL !!! Every other word is "make a U turn. ( That's after you turned that part off. I set it for Highways and ended up on a dirt road up in the Mts of Tn with no place to go except to try and turn around. IN a ditch. Six hours later aftter being lifted out. Anyone want to buy a slightly used unit REAL CHEAP ?
That happens with every unit depending on where your at. there was a story a bit back about a couple stranded on a logging road in a snow storm after listening to their 'new' GPS.. and they said they even new better, but blindly trusted it anyway. After, arent they suppose to know better than you which way to go?

No matter what the technology, its up to you to decide whats best.. Thats why we still have train engineers and plane pilots...
Old 10-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #81

Rand McNally 5510

Strange how different people do have different experiences with the Rand McNally GPS. I purchased the initial, 5 inch version for its RV capabilities and used it during a 2900 miles cross-country trip from Arizona to Boston. It steered me in the right direction at all times and I did not experience any of the problems mentioned in the previous post. I went on to purchase the new Magellan 7 inch because I wanted a larger screen. I returned it for credit immediately, as soon as I found out, that it does not have any settings for creating my RV profile. All it shows is trucks and cars. They left out the RV in the RV GPS. Today, I will take delivery of the new 7 inch Rand McNally. Time will tell.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #82

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Just to clear up.. With 'any gps' I meant any brand.. the story I related was not with the Rand...

Point was, you have to still use your brain when using a GPS..

http://www.google.com/search?q=gps+w...ient=firefox-a
Old 10-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #83

So anxious to hear some reports on the RM7710. I have not yet invested in any of the RV specific GPS mainly due to a lot of the comments I've seen when researching feedback.

Using the GPS on my droid phone when going to Gulf Shores, AL in May, I thought it was weird when it took me off the interstate going through Mobile, AL and took my downtown. Next thing I knew I was about to enter a tunnel with less than 11 feet height clearance. YIKES!! I was able (literally at the last second) to get into a lane that avoided the tunnel and after several "rerouting sequences" eventually found my way back onto the interstate. Funny thing was, the exact same GPS program kept me on the interstate when coming back through the same town on our way home, and yes it was much quicker.

I've never understood why these stupid things will take you off of an interstate when going through a major city. Or why it will use one route to take you someplace and a completely different route coming back.

I now always study my map before blindly following any if these things anymore.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm waiting to hear some feedback on the Rand McNally as well. We are looking to upgrade our old gps that has served us well but is small and lacks features compared to the new ones. But...will the Rand McNally be twice as good to justify being double the cost?

All that said, I think despite the occasional weird route, the GPS technology is pretty amazing!

Closed Thread

Tags
gps