Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #99

I think the camping world price,$359., which included the lifetime maps and traffic updates, ( 89.00 value) was a better deal than Amazon. I don't believe Amazon includes this extra.
Anyways, where have all you new 7710 owners mounted your 7 inch unit?
I had to mount to my side window to my left. The windshield is too far away, and the dash bounces too vigorously to hold suction. I like the features and the clarity of the gps, but have only played with it in the driveway so far. It found any place I wanted to put into my address book accurately. I think the trick is to become very familiar with all it's functions to get the most out of the unit. Anything new has a learning curve.
Doug

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder1 View Post
I think the camping world price,$359., which included the lifetime maps and traffic updates, ( 89.00 value) was a better deal than Amazon. I don't believe Amazon includes this extra.
Anyways, where have all you new 7710 owners mounted your 7 inch unit?
I had to mount to my side window to my left. The windshield is too far away, and the dash bounces too vigorously to hold suction. I like the features and the clarity of the gps, but have only played with it in the driveway so far. It found any place I wanted to put into my address book accurately. I think the trick is to become very familiar with all it's functions to get the most out of the unit. Anything new has a learning curve.
Doug
They had the free map update for awhile but not now. I asked and they said it would be up to the manufacturer. This is why I canceled my order and went to Amazon

Dick

Old 11-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd2 View Post
I know there has been quite a discussion back and forth between the Magellan and Rand McNally and I have been on both sides. I was almost ready to just say the h(## with it until I just found a great deal on Amazon.com for $299.00 including shipping for the Rand McNally RVND7710. They are temporally out of stock but should have them soon.
This unit has the Campgroung info....
I just checked Amazon for the RM 7710 and the price tghey showed was $375 reduced from $399 am I missing something?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #102

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I just checked Amazon for the RM 7710 and the price tghey showed was $375 reduced from $399 am I missing something?
Here are a couple of quotes of posts I made in another thread on this subject last month:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Amazon has it for $292.49 with free shipping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
It was just released for by Rand McNally last Friday. I think Amazon has made a huge mistake in their pricing, but they will allow you to add it to your cart, and I assume then pay for it.
They obviously caught their mistake and corrected it.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I just checked Amazon for the RM 7710 and the price they showed was $375 reduced from $399 am I missing something?
Short answer...you are too late!!!. I don't know if they made a mistake or not but I received mine on the 1st of November. The charge on the card was 299.00 including shipping. They must have felt that they had to honor the sales price.

Dick
Old 11-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #104
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd2 View Post
They must have felt that they had to honor the sales price.
Or face a rebellion from the masses
See My RV Upgrades
Old 11-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #105

Still waiting to hear some feedback from some of you that have received the new 7710. Any of you had a chance to test it yet?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #106

I received my Rand Mcnally 7710 from Amazon on this apst Friday. I already had the 5510.

First I paid $299.00 from Amazon.

I wanted the 7710 because I wanted a larger screen and a GPS with better detail and sharper screen and not kind of dull like the 5510.

I haven't done much with the 7710 yet except just to turn it on and look at the map of my local area. I will take it for a ride today. I have to say that both the 5510 and 7710 should do everything they are suppose to do. I used the 5510 on a trip and it worked great. The only thing that I wasn't sure about is the gas stations at highway exits. It showed them but some were not RV friendly, meaning I couldn't have gotten my rig in them. I wish the GPS would only
show the ones I could get in knowing the size of my rig. I guess that would hard for a GPS to do so one needs to look and see for themselves as they approach.

Back to the 7710. It's got a larger screen for sure. It says it has a HD screen but I don't find that to be true. Not much sharper then the 5510 and doesn't show sharper detail. My Garmin Nuvi is sharp with a lot of detail so I was wishing the screen would have looked like that.

I know that's a small thing as I am sure it will do what it suppose to do which the Garmin Nuvi can't do but I want it all. I was thinking of trying the Magellan 9165T but the reviews aren't that great so I guess I will pass on it and keep the 7710.

This just my impression so far as I haven't taken it out on the road so I will update after I play with it more.

John
Old 11-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjeep View Post
Still waiting to hear some feedback from some of you that have received the new 7710. Any of you had a chance to test it yet?
I have not had a chance to take mine out for a trip, but around town I am VERY happy. It is very easy to program

More later

Dick
Old 11-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #108

Well my wife and I took it to town. She looked at it more then I did and said she thought the Rand McNally 7710 was sharper then the 5510 with more detail.
She loved the size of the screen.

Will test it more later.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #109

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjeep
I understand the 7710 keeps your MH info to alert you of low clearances...true? Also are there any toads that can allow 4 down without having to stop every couple hundred miles to start toad to lube the tranny?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #110

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondog View Post
I understand the 7710 keeps your MH info to alert you of low clearances...true?
True

Quote:
Also are there any toads that can allow 4 down without having to stop every couple hundred miles to start toad to lube the tranny?
Jeep Wrangler
Old 11-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #111

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
are there any toads that can allow 4 down without having to stop every couple hundred miles to start toad to lube the tranny?
I have pulled my HHR 4 down, 4days in a row without starting it.
Or even turning the key off.

Put a switch on one 2 AMP fuse, trans in N and key in ACC. And Pull.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #112

Quote:
I understand the 7710 keeps your MH info to alert you of low clearances...true? Also are there any toads that can allow 4 down without having to stop every couple hundred miles to start toad to lube the tranny?

Thanks
My toad is a 2010 Chev Cobalt and I don't have to do anything but take it out of gear pull one fuse, and turn the key to accessory. That's it for the whole trip.

Closed Thread

Tags
gps