Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #113
Member
 
meterguru's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 70
Now if we could get the GPS makers to see this

Lot of go info here, but still looking for more. There are to GPS devices that are some what geared to RVers but both are too new for good comparisons. I do know I will save the $1800 to put a built in one in my new F350. The one in my 08 F350 is a toy compared to most aftermarkets and software for PCs. Can't wait for review on the new Magellan it seems a little better than the Rand McNally version. Maybe I'll ask for both for Christmas and run a side by side comparison. Santa listen please.
__________________

__________________
meterguru is offline  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #114
Senior Member
 
BobGed's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,942
I just completed my first trip (800 miles) using the 7710. I also ran a Garmin NUVI 755 with the latest map update for routing comparison purposes.

I have to say so far I'm pretty impressed with the 7710. It particularly did a much better job of getting us back on the correct route than the Garmin did when I took a wrong exit in Las Vegas. The routing instructions through Phoenix were also easier to understand. I have only owned Garmin units, and until now I didn't think anything could or would replace my Street Pilot 7200, but I think this will do it.

While we were driving through Phoenix on the freeway it did alert me twice to low overpasses near by, but of course they were not on our highway. I didn't receive any propane warnings, but I don't think I was ever in an area that would have triggered it. Nothing on the width either, pretty much for the same reason. I did turn off the audible alarms and just had them set to pop up on the screen. There are quite a few other options that can be toggled on/off on the screen.

I have uploaded a few pics here: http://photobucket.com/RVND_7710

The user manual, at 155 pages, is one of the most extensive I've ever see for a GPS device. It is a large PDF file at 7MB so it can't be emailed. However I have uploaded a copy to a file storage site, so if anyone is interested in downloading a copy, please send your email address and I'll provide a link.
__________________

__________________
Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline  
Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #115
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by meterguru View Post
Lot of go info here, but still looking for more. There are to GPS devices that are some what geared to RVers but both are too new for good comparisons....Can't wait for review on the new Magellan it seems a little better than the Rand McNally version. Maybe I'll ask for both for Christmas and run a side by side comparison. Santa listen please.
I confess I've NOT read thru this entire 9 page thread, so please excuse my lazy ignorance with this question: What is the model of the Magellan unit?

THANKS, Ed
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline  
Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #116
Senior Member
 
Gary1965's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 238
Since the 7710 didn't ship until October, I haven't had the chance to try it out on a big trip. But, I have tested it a bit and so far I am impressed. In testing it, I took a public road where I new had weight limits. The GPS properly tried to redirect me, noting my weight limit. Now one thing to remember, I had a destination loaded for a short trip. When I ignored the redirect for the weight limit(I wasn't
in my motorhome), it finally gave up and stopped calculating. Once I was on a normal road, I thought the directions would kick in again, but it cancels the whole route. I called Rand McNally and they confirmed that was the way the software was written. I like the display, very easy to see and read. I love the buttons for pilot/flying J, and of course Walmart. Very helpful !! The campground directory is also real nice. So, I am happy and would recommend.

It is the only RV GPS on the market. Although the Magellan is close with truck inputs, I think you will see that the Rand McNally went to great lengths to customize to the needs of RVers.
__________________
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Gary1965 is offline  
Old 11-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #117
Senior Member
 
BobGed's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The user manual, at 155 pages, is one of the most extensive I've ever see for a GPS device. It is a large PDF file at 7MB so it can't be emailed. However I have uploaded a copy to a file storage site, so if anyone is interested in downloading a copy, please send your email address and I'll provide a link.
No need send me your email address for the manual, I believe the following direct link will work: FlipDrive.com - Free Secure Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Photo & Video Sharing, Music Online, Store & Access Documents, Share Files Online, Online Data Backup
__________________
Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline  
Old 11-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #118
Senior Member
 
BobGed's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1965 View Post
It is the only RV GPS on the market. Although the Magellan is close with truck inputs, I think you will see that the Rand McNally went to great lengths to customize to the needs of RVers.
The Magellan 9165T is designed for RVs, but I haven't seen any good reviews on it yet. RV GPS, RV navigation, truck GPS, Truck navigation
__________________
Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline  
Old 11-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #119
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Angry gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
Ed, the reason no one has been able to give you a review of the RVND7710 is they have not been available. Supposedly they were to start shipping October 1. I ordered one a couple weeks ago from Camping World and they gave me an expected ship date of October 18. Once I receive it and try it out, I'll let everyone know how it works for me.
WoodLark have you used your RVND7710 enough to give an opinion..I'm looking maybe to get one jptheiam in texas
__________________
jptheiam is offline  
Old 11-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #120
Senior Member
 
Dano52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed
I just completed my first trip (800 miles) using the 7710. I also ran a Garmin NUVI 755 with the latest map update for routing comparison purposes.

I have to say so far I'm pretty impressed with the 7710. It particularly did a much better job of getting us back on the correct route than the Garmin did when I took a wrong exit in Las Vegas. The routing instructions through Phoenix were also easier to understand. I have only owned Garmin units, and until now I didn't think anything could or would replace my Street Pilot 7200, but I think this will do it.

While we were driving through Phoenix on the freeway it did alert me twice to low overpasses near by, but of course they were not on our highway. I didn't receive any propane warnings, but I don't think I was ever in an area that would have triggered it. Nothing on the width either, pretty much for the same reason. I did turn off the audible alarms and just had them set to pop up on the screen. There are quite a few other options that can be toggled on/off on the screen.

I have uploaded a few pics here: http://photobucket.com/RVND_7710

The user manual, at 155 pages, is one of the most extensive I've ever see for a GPS device. It is a large PDF file at 7MB so it can't be emailed. However I have uploaded a copy to a file storage site, so if anyone is interested in downloading a copy, please send your email address and I'll provide a link.
BobGed,
Does the 7710 leave a bread crumb trail to see where you have been like the Garmins?
__________________
Dano
1999 American Dream 40vs
2015 GMC Canyon CC LB Toad
Dano52 is offline  
Old 11-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #121
Community Administrator
 
JohnRR's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Marquette, Michigan "Da UP"
Posts: 16,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodaman View Post
BobGed,
Does the 7710 leave a bread crumb trail to see where you have been like the Garmins?
It's advertised as having that feature.
__________________

__________________
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 14 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
gps



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless network test might affect GPS navigation systems Rick Long Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 1 05-19-2011 02:48 PM
MS S&T 2005 GPS Review Stan Birch Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 3 07-28-2005 12:39 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.