Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Rat ???

We are staying on Ohio Key near Big Pine Key. We were here for about a month and our small dog started going crazy about something under the instrument section in front of the drivers seat. Took a look and found 2 chewed up styrofoam nail files and lots of short pieces of twine from a roll that was in the pocket next to the drivers seat against the exterior. Opened up all the dash and found the rest of the ball of twine (three inches long and a 2 inch (diameter) roll - pretty heavy for a "small" critter. Feces behind the radio cluster are about 7/32 " long. Not a mouse. Any ideas or tips. TY

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #2

Still might be a mouse.... you can not diminish the power of those little guys to perform. I have had so many recently move into the house as the weather got cold and some are super mice....up on the kitchen counter at nite moving things way bigger and heavier then their bodies. coming out from under the kitchen sink and announcing themselves in front of the stove....sometimes they get me laughing. I trap and release them in one of many non-kill mouse tubes/traps. Take them down the road where only the meadows and fields define their home. Happens every year season.... new batches of rodents come from inside the hay bails in our barn.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
DJJ

We have 3 kinds of rats in the Keys, your normal every where kind, Key Largo Wood rat and an invasive type called Gambian Pouched rat. The Gambian get as big as a cat.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
DJJ

Sent my last before I gave my advise. Set out the sticky kind of traps and check it often. The Wood Rat is bigger then a mouse but smaller then other types of rats. They can pull themselves free from the sticky traps given enough time. That's why you want to check it often. And FYI, the Wood Rat is a protected species.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Could be mice, could be rats or it could be squirrels. Depends on if you want to just trap them or no longer have them around ..... permanently. If trap and release then you should get the trap and release traps. Target or Walmart should have them. If it's permanently that you want to get rid of them then at the same store you can buy the traps for that. Check them often and clean them when they get tripped by whatever it is.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I say Dryer sheets. I didn't have A mouse last season in the MH or in my sticks and bricks. Had a few in the garage because some of the poison was gone.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #7

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but using dryer sheets is just another one of those urban myths, probably started by PG themselves to promote more sales. There's actually a video that debunks it, shows mice after awhile checking out the dryer sheet, they're too curious to stay away for long, smell or not. Nothing will repel rodents permanantly, the best i've heard of is Fresh Cab botanical rodent repellent, but even that at best has an 88% percent success rate all things being perfect.

Endangered or not, something enters the coach, it's toast. Once it leaves it's natural habitat all bets are off.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Once you have that one removed, check all possible entry points and seal any access for critters. Small openings around wiring bundles, propane lines etc should be sealed.. Dryer sheets have seemed to help, even if it's only that they do smell nice.. I've had squirrels get to some wiring but not inside the RV..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #9

Lights.
Rats hate lights.
Tea lights, rope lights, etc. On the ground. Around and/or under the rig.
Make them prefer the neighbor's rig!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #10

Btw, steel wool shoved into openings helps deter them, they don't like chewing on it. I've done this around the house foundation where openings were found and the mice problem stopped immediately. I have a whole bag of it around the waste hose & electrical cable openings, so far it's worked.

Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote