Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It's a 2 for me. I love this stuff! Great escape from real life! Takes no time at all to get set up. So if I can I will drink a beer and stretch it out to 30 min!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
obviously there's a bias in this thread toward MHs... but the right answer is

it all depends !!!
There is no one rating - you and I are different and want different 'things'...

and the blanket statement that one is easier than the other is also affected by variables... so I'll come from the other viewpoint

older rv's may have been a 7 to setup as it needed to be perfectly level for the absorption fridge... and manual leveling ... and manual sat pointing... and....

our new 5er has one button slides... one button leveling... one button sat.... but I do have TWO buttons for awnings - one for each - WHAT a job !!!

ALL electric, water, and sewer and sewer are optional and can be 'phased' depending on the weather and your needs...

and even hooking and unhooking are similar - don't MOST have a toad of some kind ? in our 5'ers case there is one button to push to raise it, pull a lever and pull out, then push that other button to level...

when ready to leave, push another button and it goes back to the level you unhooked so just back in using your rear view camera and hook up !

good luck and get rv'ing !
Old 11-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
I gotta agree with the posters that say it's easy cos it's just part of the fun of RV'ing. I like the process. And you get to put on a show for the other campers as you really try to be cool when you back into the power pedestal or hit a low branch with your slide out, etc.

I've timed it many times (OCD?) and it's under 15 minutes to set up, including the satellite dish and the Q. Maybe 20 to pack out. Just look at it as another enjoyable part of the RV experience.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
I rate it as a 3. Did tent camping and then a couple of TTs before moving up to class A. Still learning but can usually be backed in, leveled, hooked up, and awning down in about 15 minutes. Much less hassle then ever before. I love it.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In our case, both of us are pretty mobile so we don't have physical limitations in setting up. 10-15min in a normal campground usually is the norm including all hookups. Sometimes Satellite, sometimes cable. I rate it at a 1. Camp breakdown takes longer as we are pretty anal about getting things back in their places both inside and outside. Also have to check every basement door at least once or twice. 15-30 minutes for breakdown. Rate this a 3. Join us. This is a blast no matter how long it takes. Half of the fun to us is in the campground doing our thing and meeting the nicest people in the world. Where else can you meet such a diverse group of people with the same idea of having fun. Good luck....
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #34

As for setting up it doesn't take anytime,I pulled in the same time as a pull camper and had my steaks cooked by the time he got set up.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Setting up or taking down is not a hard job. Some sites take a wee bit longer to set up
and like others , if we have been in one spot for a while it takes longer to put away,
but not a hard job by any means ..
Old 11-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #36

It all depends on your equipment. The wife and I set up our coach in ~5 minutes once in a site. That includes setting up the satellite and local TV. If it is a back in site, she guides me in. might take 2 minutes max. To disconnect the tow vehicle if it is a back in site takes less than 3 minutes.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #37
YC1

About a 2. Takes a casual 20-30 minutes wandering about.

Here is my checklist.

Sat Dish and Antenna down
Bird Disabled
Bunjie TV
Bunjie Couch
Ice maker Disable
Roll Rug
Inverter On

Lock Cabinets
Shoreline Disconnect
Water Disconnect
Sewer Disconnect
Tire Pressure
Tighten Awnings

Pots and Pans secure
Refer stored

Jacks Up Pads Stored
Seats clear of slides
Slides in

Fuel
Propane
Water

Closet Rods
Vents closed
Dump dog dish
Walk dog

safety chains
lights
Neutral
Brake off and pumped

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
Definitely a 1 - it's a breeze to set up (hook up water, elec, sewer then hit auto-levelers then open slides..... All done .... Simply reverse process to break camp....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #39

If for one night, levelers, A/C power, slides, done.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
It takes us about 10 minutes to set-up. Packing up is a little different, depends on how much stuff we haul out and how many people stop to BS and say good-bye. It still only takes about 30 minutes to pack-up as we both have our routine and the task is a easy one. Jim
Old 11-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1 = easy

Process:

1. Dump sewer
2. Dump gray
3. Put sewer hoses away - 6 min

4. Unhook water
5. Unhook electric - 2 min

6. Push button to put down satellite. - 5 sec
7. Push buttons to put in slides. - 30 sec
8. Push button to retract awning. 5 sec

9. Start engine.
10. Retract jacks - 1 min

11. Load chairs and grill in basement - 2 min

12. say goodby to the new friends we meet at the RV park - 20 min

About 30 minutes from start to finish. Piece of cake!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #42

Great responses and information! Thanks all. I'm glad to hear there's almost no hassle at all. I'm pretty handy with stuff in S & B and very agile/mobile so I'm anticipating I'll adapt pretty well to the process. Looking forward to the opportunity and challenge of making it all a 1 at some point. Thanks again.
PRINT4U is offline   Reply With Quote