Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Rate the hassle of set up & take down, please.

I'm a Wanna-Be total newbie who doesn't own an RV yet, and I'm interested in any input experienced Class A DP owners would give on rating the "Hassle" level of setting up in a campground and taking down to travel based on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being "so much fun that I love it" and 10 being "hate it and would rather not have to do it". I realize it's a necessary process with your home on wheels and that there are a great number of very important steps to perform each time, but is it something everyone gets used to and just "puts up with"? Details and pointers would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim

PRINT4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
1....takes about 10 minutes. Loading everything back into the stacker is another story.

2014 King Aire 4593
24' Stacker w/toys = 75' of fun
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
I usually allow 1/2 hour to slooooowly work my way around and get everything done before I leave a campground.

Set up usually only takes 10 minutes. Plug in electrical, connect to cable if available, then cook dinner, watch TV, have a beverage (I always try to stop at a park in the daylight - 95% of the time). Next day, I'll hook up water. After a week or two, I'll dump my tanks the morning I leave whatever park I'm at (always dump between 2/3 and full, helps remove solids better).

'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Hi Jim,
Most important point is everyone in an RV was a newbie at one point in time. I hope you are a newbie soon.

Your question is subjective and therefore you will get a lot of different responses. One advantage a motorhome has over a trailer is ease of set up and take down. It is important to have a checklist to guide you if you are not comfortable with the procedure of set up and take down. Then methodically follow the steps, it is not rocket science I assure you.

The other area to consider is one's health and fitness. Some folks may find bending over to access a storage bay or secure a waste hose more problematic than others. Cold weather can make power cords and hoses stiff and unruly. These are just a few examples.

Either way Jim become that newbie. If you find the chore to be a 10 for you, just stay longer in each location. If you rate the job a 1 you are certainly welcome to help me the next time we are parked together :~).
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
While set-up is not rated as a 1, it is not that hard either. Follow procedures in the manual for the slides and leveling. Do connections for water, electric and sewer and then relax until you need to leave. Getting ready is not that hard either. The DW takes care of getting the inside ready while I get the outside items done. It takes team work! Once you have done it a few dozen times it will be easy.
Hope that are able to enjoy the RV world soon. Once you start, there is no turning back!
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
Set-up and tear-down is easy. It's the packing and un-packing that gets the high numbers. Packing can take place over days, but I like to un-pack everything when I get home.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #7

Our coach is one big "Easy Button"
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Was 10 now 5, don't think anyone will claim 1. Your first trip will be a 10 and as number of trips completed grows you will find better ways. Example - on our first trips I stored power cable, coax and water hose in containers. Now I simply put most frequently used one on top. Set-a-bouts - you will have lots of them at first: box of kleenex, plants, salt and pepper etc. We left a couple of plants at home, found space between end of couch and credenza just a bit smaller than the box, press it in and it stays there till empty. You will get better, discover short-cuts and figure out how to eliminate some steps in the process. Enjoy!
Challenger Owners Club
2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune with 2014 Ford Fiesta behind us & 385 FastTrack kayak inside.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Usually about 10 minutes although sometimes I don't get in any hurry and just take longer.

Depends a lot on how long I've been in the same site. If I have a lot of stuff out it could take longer but in that situation I just start a day early. I don't like having a lot of work to do the morning I'm leaving.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #10

It takes what it takes. Love of RVing reigns above all.
Perspective: it beats the tar out of repacking a suitcase every morning, and it is a bonus to sleep where other folks and bed bugs have not. ;-)
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
I do the outside and DW does the inside. First thing is to situate the coach in a spot where everything is reachable (electric, water, sewer, & cable TV). Next leveling and that includes putting jack blocks down when on gravel or dirt. Then the slides go out. If the weather is hot I will usually plug the electric as soon as the Jacks are down. Water and sewer is done after the slides are out. I sometimes wont put the sewer hose out until I need to empty the tanks. DW is unpacking all of her "stuff" that makes it home on the inside. I take out the lawn chairs and a patio mat (when needed). I would rate the setting up somewhere between a 2 and 3. It usually takes up to 30 minutes and that would include getting the satellite TV up and running.

Getting ready to leave is another story. Neatly storing stuff for travel takes a bit more time than taking it all out. I would rate that as maby a 4 or 5. We do start putting stuff away the day before we are to leave as has been mentioned.
2005 Suncruiser
Banks Powerpack
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll chime in here. I'm a mere 46 yrs young so the physical aspect is a non issue with our DP. I do have a bad back though, and our last coach did not have slides in the basements and that did make it a little tough putting the heavy stuff under so if you have back issues I highly recommend basement slides.

Now, on setup and breakdown with a class a... It takes us 5-10 minutes to get in "sleep able" condition upon evening arrival at camp sites. By that I mean leveled, slides out, elec connected, curtains closed. Add 1 minute to put on your PJ's!!

Takes an additional 5 minutes to connect the water and sewer the next morning. Then 10-20 minutes to pull out chairs and cooking stuff for the outdoor kitchen.

The reverse process takes us longer but mainly because I WANT to go slow and methodical. I do not use a check list because I feel that takes the thought out of the process, but I appreciate that many will disagree with me. Instead, I start with one system and work my way around. I like to have an hour to break camp--without interruptions.

Welcome to the club. Have fun with he shopping process--that's a ton of fun!!
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
3 had trailers before and MH is a lot easier. I'm slow and only take me time, so I don't have to get under slides after there out.
OKrver 2002 HR Ambassador
2003 Dodge Dakota 4X4
2012 Polaris ESP 850 Tour
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For us it is different every time, as far as... arrival time..time we will be there ...where we are ...or, what we are going to be doing, etc etc.
The more you use your coach the more user friendly it gets. The more you take out, guess what ?? The more you have to put away !!!
As stated above, when we are "rolling up", I do the outside and DW takes care of the inside. Thank goodness, not much of a bed maker, or dish washer for that matter...lol.
I don't think any of it is rateable...to many variables. It is just what you do.

Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote