Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2016, 04:39 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Part of the answer depends on if you are under warranty or not. If not, ithink I would look to doing a fix it yourself job. The wheel well can be stabilized with a glue product. The awning ... the bottom seems loose and that will be more of a hassle. Not sure how to fix that one. neither seem too expensive, and a dealer mght make quick work of it, but you would miss some time on your trip depending on when you want to leave. if it's warranty work, good luck on getting it done in a timely fashion... perhaps a tempary fix like you suggested might work until you can take it in.

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
As to the awning what you're hitting there on the bottom is just a trim piece to cover the awning arms when they're retracted. I have the same awning and mine are the same way and I've never heard a peep out of them, they're only plastic.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Talking

2011 so no warranty but mine are loose and rattle with my driving ' style'
Old 03-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #5

Me thinks that's why vehicle mfgrs began putting radios in them. Mask the rattles and squeaks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:25 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the same awning covers and mine are not loose.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ok, so... some have awning pieces that aren't loose - good for you, and very helpful, by the way.

Others like me and the OP have some with loose trim that can rattle while driving down the road. I simply stuck a 2"x2" piece of 1" foam (using double-stick tape) inside the rattling trim piece so that it compresses when the arm is closed. Problem solved.

As for the wheel well trim, that might be a different story. I had something similar, but on mine it was actually the fender itself rattling - not the trim. I simply mounted a new brace in place of the old one, and I bent it a little so that when it was mounted it would be under pressure, like a spring, and hold it in place better.

For your trim, I doubt you could add a brace without sacrificing the exterior finish. If it were mine, I would investigate the option of maybe running a bead of caulk - or even Dicor - around the backside of the trim where it meets the bodywork. Hopefully it will fill any gaps and act as a cushion to stop the rattling. Note: it would have to be super clean under there for it to stick for any length of time.

Good luck!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:13 PM   #8

OP is funny.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Yep Ray... I think you got it

and sounds like my awning is 'special',
so will try the foam trick

As far as the wheel well... wondering if moisture would be a problem if I tried to seal it...
Might look into some rubberized door trim or something like this just to stop the metal on metal.

then all I'll hear is the radio and the wind noise, well and the whining from the passenger seat, er, ah, I mean, excellent navigation instructions
thanks...
Old 03-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
Ok, so... some have awning pieces that aren't loose - good for you, and very helpful, by the way.

Good luck!

Thank - you. I know it is helpful to see that others with the same design are not experiencing the same problem. This shows that it is not a design flaw, as was inferred, but a condition unique to only some.

Glad I could be of help.

Cheers!
Old 03-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Glad I could be of help. Cheers!
Couldn't have done it without ya

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote