Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Re-doing coach floor

After ALOT of research and talking to everyone I could find I finally just ordered Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring for my coach floor redo.

I went with Mohawk LVT, primarily becasue I walked into three local flooring stores and told them I wanted to see their best vinyl plank and best laminant. Each one went to Mohawk as their LVT top choice, one went to Mannington for laminant and two went to Faus (I think that was the spelling). All three places also carried Mannington LVT.

Then I told each place what I was going to do and asked for their recomendation between LVT and laminant. All three said LVT as first choice. But I was very impressed with the Faus laminant, beautiful floor. So my project will start in a couple weeks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #2

Cool - can you take before and after pics. My DW and I someday may end up doing the same thing. Also.interested in how the slides work with the new flooring.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #3

Yep, certainly will.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 on the before and after pic's.
We plan to do the same in our coach but have not decided on which flooring yet. Thanks for the info.....we will check out the Mannington, Faus and Mohawk flooring.
Good Luck
bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

Sunset Amendoim is the color of the Mohawk LVT we ordered. Although it was a tossup between it and the Faus Laminant in the Mahogany Santos color. I must say the Faus was a beautiful floor. The ONLY reason we went with the vinyl was....well I don't really know...LOL The color of each was almost the same, the Faus was smooth finish and the LVT was textured. We both actually like the smooth finish Faus a little better. I think the only reason we went with the vinyl was the reduced thickness it is 4mm and the faus is 10mm, I was told the 10mm would be fine, but I went with the LVT primarily becasue of reduced thickness. It really was a toss up, and I think if all three places had not said LVT over laminant as their first choice we may have goen the other route. Living on the coast these places do ALOT of high end boat floor refinishing and they all said the Mohawk LVT was what they used in the highend boats. We shall see, it aint cheap, so good thing we don't need to do a whole house..LOL but then again, the coach aint cheap either.

Also, when I pull out the carpet I am going to cut the Newmar design out and have it bound for an area rug...will see how that goes also.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How's the flooring install going?

Any pic's to post?

Thanks,
bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #7

Well it is going. We had to change our floor material. We had the mohawk LVT ordered for three weeks and then they called and said it was back ordered and could not give us a delivery time. So then we switched to our second choice, which was the first choice of laminant and they said it would be at least a month....OK we could not do that. So we went to Shaw laminant. It was supposed to be in in two days.....NOT, but we did get it finally Friday. I worked all last weekend tearing out the carpet and pulling staples....etc. Yesterday I got all the prep work finally finished and hope to start flooring today.Unfortunately is has been in the low 20's and we got 3" of snow friday night. We'll see how today goes. 28deg right now, kinda cold to set the saws up...lol
Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Well...we are redoing our floor using Allen & Roth Laminate Plank Flooring 10 MM thick from Lowe's. The only dilemma we have is ......Do I lay down the flooring LONG ways or CROSS ways in my rooms. I have been unable to find any Pics of flooring in MH's. Any suggestions or Pics from fellow RVer's ?

Thanks! P.S will have before and after Pics !
Happy Rving To All
Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy RVer View Post
Well...we are redoing our floor using Allen & Roth Laminate Plank Flooring 10 MM thick from Lowe's. The only dilemma we have is ......Do I lay down the flooring LONG ways or CROSS ways in my rooms. I have been unable to find any Pics of flooring in MH's. Any suggestions or Pics from fellow RVer's ?

Thanks! P.S will have before and after Pics !
Happy Rving To All
In the MH I've seen with wood floors it's been run length wise. I know when I installed hard wood in our house running it length wise will make your room look longer and cross ways makes it look wider. In such a small space like the MH I don't think you'll get much benefit running cross ways. Plus you'll do a heck of alot more cutting.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #10

I did my first coach on a 45 deg angle, looked really nice but more work. I didn't have any tile of anykind in that one. This coach I am leaving the ceramic tile which leaves a 30" wide area between the slide and the tile, so we are running this floor length wise. Cross wise would have looked funny in the narrow area, and 45 deg would have looked odd with the straight run tile.

I don't know that I would ever run it cross ways, I am sure others have but I believe that would make the room look short and fat. I may be wrong though.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thx Guys !! I was able to find some pics on web after I posted this and you are right, looks a lot better running long ways .....We have factory installed tile in our Diplomat in the Bathroom and Kitchen. I have removed the carpet in bedroom and living room. Had to add 3/8 plywood to raise the floor so that the 10mm flooring would match up with the Tile. I used 1 5/8" Drywall screws to hold down the 3/8 plywood to the existing (from the factory) 3/4 pressboard sub-flooring. I screwed the added plywood down every 12" it is very very solid now. Now just waiting for the Temps to get above 45degrees here in good ole Southern Maryland so I can get under way, 32 right now and temps have been down in the teens in the past week or so ...YUCK .....Thx again for your help !

Happy Rving To All
Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #12

I hope you didn't raise the floor 3/8" and then anouther 10mm for laminant if you have a slide. The slide will not climb that high if it is a flush floor slide.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
we have a Holiday Rambler, a clone of the diplomat. the Kitchen Bathroom is Clay tile, once we rip out the carpeting, i am sure we will have to install some plywood just to bring the level of flooring up to the tile.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #14

My tile is 3/8" higher than my laminant. SO my transition strip will be slightly angled. I could come up with zero ways to make it the same height. Ernie (on here) said to use carpet shims. And I looked into them and almost went that way, but because I have an inside 90 there was no way that I could see to slope my laminant in two directions at the same time. What I ended up doing was cutting some wood strips 3/4" wide, 3/8" thick and then beveled them 25deg. I put those against my tile with the bevel toward the laminant. This way when I put my transition strip down it will be beveled 25deg. It actually works very well, looks good and is a very smooth transition. So no toe jamming. I will take a close up photo when done.