Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #15

They keep trying to teach those gators not to cross the highway.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #16

Riata2,
Hobodandy on TRVN is a tire expert and I reccomend his advise. I was in the tire and tow recovery business for years. I would never put recaps on our coach as they ride rough, are hard to match exact size and if tou think your rig shakes now wait til you spend $$$ on recaps and then realize you now have to spend $$$$$ more. When we got our first RV, an 18 year old TRAVCO (1975) it had recaps on the rear. They never came apart but were so rough every thing shook violently above 50mph

macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not so sure about the alligators coming from new tires but OK, I accept that is possible. Never the less...

I suspect MOST Gucci bag rejects are from retreads. If I was driving a commercial truck with a maintenance department to back me up...sounds reasonable to use retreads. I don't have those resources. My MH is currently my home away from home and in the future my only home. Playing the odds I want to minimize a blow out. I certainly don't want my home laid up for body repairs caused by a blow out or retread breaking away. The odds are that new tires (less than 5-7 years old) that are properly loaded and inflated will have a much lower chance of shredding than retreads.

Hey...it is an opinion. Use it, loose it, or store it away for future considerations.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #18

Its a crap shoot, I dont know the cost difference maybe its big, if you dont have the big bucks, and dont put alot of miles on your rig then maybe they will be ok, or maybe look at chinese tires there are some good ones out there. This could be a hole can of worms opening a debate
recap vs chinese tires lets keep in mind some of us,(including me) dont have the funding to run out and buy 6 new michelin tires, but still want to use there mh.
gbstewart
Old 03-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would never trust a recap on my RV. No way you can justify the few $$$ saved over the mileage and life of the RV tires. Two things to not skimp on are tires and brakes.

Ken
Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #20

Okay! Im all for saving money when and wherever you can. Don't get me wrong, i'm far from what most would consider as wealthy, which is why my rig is 13 years old. It needed some work and tires and general tlc. I buy as much stuff online or at Walmart as I can to save a few bucks. But geezz man you can only be so cheap. If you can't afford a class A with 22.5 tires then get something cheaper to maintain. I'm not looking forward to buying tires either as they are crazy expensive. I most likely will not buy the popular name brand cause i'm cheap too but I wouldn't even consider retreads. I would get no name Chinese tires before id use retreads.
I look at it like this. If you want to play you Gota pay. That's just the cost of having These big rigs. Suck it up and buy some new tires so your safe while on the road.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #21

If tires are, say, $500 a pop, a set is $3000.
If you keep them 7 years, the amortized cost is about $36 a month.
I put money away monthly to avoid the one-time shock of tires and other recurring expenses.
Just sayin.....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #22

Regardless of whether it is a good idea for safety or economic reasons or a bad idea, I'd suggest that a lot of the tyre debris on the road comes from original tyres that have disintegrated and that can easily be verified by looking to see if it contains cords or not and it is pretty rare to see one of those perfect whole treads lying on the road anywhere but across the road at a Mexican military road block.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Regardless of whether it is a good idea for safety or economic reasons or a bad idea, I'd suggest that a lot of the tyre debris on the road comes from original tyres that have disintegrated and that can easily be verified by looking to see if it contains cords or not and it is pretty rare to see one of those perfect whole treads lying on the road anywhere but across the road at a Mexican military road block.
Exactly the reason to not use a retread. Tires fail for a variety of reasons. They have a life expectancy and truckers who are on the road as a full time job. Can easily put 100k on a set of tires each year wearing the tread off the tire but not the structural integrity. So retread makes sense to put good tread on a one or two year old tire that has balded but maybe has some life left in it
However most RVs won't see that kind of mileage. By time they need tires its usually because of age not the lack of tread. It would be like putting a supercharger on a worn out oil burning engine. Might work for a while.
Most companies that retread do an inspection of the donor tire and I would be surprised if they would retread a 10 yr old tire anyway.
So although retreads can be as good as new the intent was to extend the tread life of a fairly new tire not to take the place of replacing tires that are beyond their livelihood.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our company used to have our tires re-treaded on our trucks and then have them "trued" on a truing machine. It took out the roughness of the ride, but after having several of them come apart, we changed back to new tires only. If you could see what a tire can do when it comes apart, you would never consider putting them on a motorhome.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #25

Nice response, "Hanko". The question was posted in good faith. We don't need that tone of a response.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I've seen first hand the damage caused to big trucks when a tire blows,,, I'd hate to see what that would do to a fragile motor home...
Old 03-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
My 2 cents

The case of a retreaded tire could have done between 100000 and 300000.
the mess on the road is big new tires failing its these old cases.
If you throw a tread or a case fails on a truck or trailer it usually takes out the lights and or the whole guard. The guards may be plastic and replaceable but the Motorhome is generally fiberglass. I wouldn't have a cap on a coach.
Buy a set of Double Coins or some cheap Chinese tires for probably not much more than you'd pay for the caps.
Specifically your cases would be too old to cap and be rejected by the recapper anyway.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
re-treads

Under NO circumstances would I our family at risk to save money. I say NO NO NO to re-treads!

If you are an FMCA Member, and if not you should be, you can take advantage of the FMCA/Michelin tire program. Saves you quite a bit of money, you get Michelins, and it is easy as pie.

As an FMCA Member, you call Michelin at 1-866-866-6605. Give them the info they ask for, FMCA member number and expiration date, credit card info on the card you will use. Either ask them, or go to their website, Michelin Automotive Tires: Car Tires, Truck Tires, SUV Tires and more, to find the Michelin Dealer nearest you. Call the dealer, inform them that you are using the FMCA program, they will ask for tire size and last four number ONLY of your credit card. They will order tires FRESH, and call you back to make an appointment for install. Michelin will bill your credit card directly and you will pay the tire dealer direct for install, balance and disposal.

Happy Trails!

Darryl

NO RE-TREADS!

Tags
motorhome, tires