Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #15

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
  • Joined the forum almost a year ago. After 36 years in portrait photography we sold our studio property & now wish to buy our 1st MH.Live in Bradenton, Fl on the Gulf coast. Plan on travelling June thru Oct. Looking at gas powered, 1 & 1/2 bath. Just us 2, non-smokers & no pets. Don't know what else to look for. Will pull a Ford Escape, bicycles, stand-up paddleboard & 2 kayaks. Would like to hear anyone's "wouldn't be without" comments. We plan on being at the Tampa rv show in Jan. Ron & Claudia
Check out a Newmar Canyon Star, which should meet all your needs.
There's other 1 1/2 bath gassers out there and the Newmar will probably cost more than the average, but it should also provide better quality. Given the same budget, I always buy used and drop back to where I can afford it.
They're all used, once you get them home anyway, so it's just a question of who takes the most depreciation, going out the door.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Escape might not be towable four down
Don

Old 12-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #17

New vs Used: might depend on the floor plan that is acceptable to you. We looked for a used diesel bunkhouse for over a year, bought new.

Gas vs Diesel:
Diesel pusher will be a smoother and quieter ride. Also offer more towing capacity.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:12 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I took my DP to a Freight liner dealer and asked for oil and filter change on both engines and fuel system.

My bill was $3000. Diesel takes more oil and has more sensitive fuel systems, hence more filters. Air filter alone was over $200. It had to be beat off with a sledge hammer and the labor cost was high.

You are going to get lots of people here who change their own stuff and it can be done, but the raw cost of the product alone is double or triple.

That seems really high. Do you mind sharing what they charged for each? I've seen oil changes for about $300 and fuel filters aren't that expensive.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
For Sale - 2004 Newmar Mtn Aire 40' DP 3 Slides

Quote:
  • Joined the forum almost a year ago. After 36 years in portrait photography we sold our studio property & now wish to buy our 1st MH.Live in Bradenton, Fl on the Gulf coast. Plan on travelling June thru Oct. Looking at gas powered, 1 & 1/2 bath. Just us 2, non-smokers & no pets. Don't know what else to look for. Will pull a Ford Escape, bicycles, stand-up paddleboard & 2 kayaks. Would like to hear anyone's "wouldn't be without" comments. We plan on being at the Tampa rv show in Jan. Ron & Claudia
My 40' diesel pusher is up for sale near Robert, LA. It is in good shape and everything works. No pets or smokers ever. It has the Cummings ISL 400 HP Turbo charged diesel and will climb any grade you can find and has a 10,000 tow hitch. If you have any interest, contact me at byoslandry@hotmail.com and I will send you inside and outside photos and a recent NADA average retail price sheet.
Note: This motorhome has never left us on the road. Cabinetry is solid cherry made by the Amish.
We just stopped full timing after 8 years :-) Will be downsizing due to our age. If you want comfort, power and dependability, take the time to ask for the info.
Sincerely
Byron Landry
Old 12-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #20

Quote:

Check out the Fleetwood Bounder 35k. Great floor plan, good build quality, tons of features. There are other Fleetwood models like the Terra that have a 1 1/2 bath for less cost.

I'm in Tampa and have rented locally. There's a pretty good local place that I could recommend. PM me if interested.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Best advise you've gotten so far - identify the floor plan that you really want and WHY. Then figure out who makes the floor plan and/or gotta haves and would likes. Most manufactures have a good website that will help educate you on what is available. We actually only had to go through 2 coaches to get the one that works best for us.

Don't just look at what is in the coach look at the basement and other features. With all of our traveling we needed a coach that has a LARGE basement. Ours has 210 square feet with several pass throughs. Ours has 100 gals of fresh water and 80 each for black and grey water. We have a washer/dryer (important to have all the water storage on board).

The requirement list will lead you to the right coaches. Now sort on the cost basis. Gassers generally run less for new but DP hold their value.

BUT it is about the things you gotta have and then would like to have FIRST.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I found that RV shows that were near me were limited when it came to seeing the different floor plans and styles. My suggestion = You already have a criteria to start with - 1 & 1/2 bath, Gas, towing a under 5000 lb vehicle and bringing along some toys to play with. I would go to a super dealer such as Lazyday's (even if I wasn't going to buy it there) and have them show me all the units that meet the preliminary criteria and take it from there. It's all about your comfort, functionality of the space, storage and personal tastes. As far as wouldn't be without it may be different for you but the top ones for me are extra features that were on the motor home when I got it off the lot - washer & dryer, Satellite dish, and ice machine. All strictly comfort items that I probably wouldn't have ordered if I specked out the unit but have found them indispensable during my month long summer travels.

I went with a new units because I wanted the latest technology however after experiencing two new RV's and all that goes along with that I would be open to a late model (1-3 years) pre-owned unit where all the kinks would be taken care of and I would still get somewhat latest technology with some savings. While a Diesel Pusher is a great unit no matter how I played the numbers I couldn't justify the 40K difference for virtually same floor plan along with the significantly higher maintenance costs. I've been across country and my Ford Chassis has not yet failed me. I might have been passed once or twice by a DP and going over some of mountains it got a little noisy but I still got there.

Regarding towing a Ford Escape - only Escapes manufactured before February 2012 are towable (that is Ford will fix the transmission if it fails because you towed it), I leave my Escape at home and use my Jeep when traveling.

Bottom line do your homework, ask questions and do the leg work to see what's out there. Traveling across country in the summer is great you will really enjoy it.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #23

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:

I took my DP to a Freight liner dealer and asked for oil and filter change on both engines and fuel system.

My bill was $3000. Diesel takes more oil and has more sensitive fuel systems, hence more filters. Air filter alone was over $200. It had to be beat off with a sledge hammer and the labor cost was high.

You are going to get lots of people here who change their own stuff and it can be done, but the raw cost of the product alone is double or triple.

That seems really high. Do you mind sharing what they charged for each? I've seen oil changes for about $300 and fuel filters aren't that expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Yes it was high. Don't have exact numbers but included the following parts.
Engine Oil... many gallons
Generator Oil ... not very much
Engine Oil Filter... costs more than gas coach
Engine water separator fuel filter
Engine inline fuel filter
Engine Air filter (remember this was big $$$ like 300)
Generator oil filter
Generator Air Filter
Generator fuel filter
Labor for each of the above

Total bill, $3000 .... you don't forget that part.

I have never paid even 1/3 that much on my gas coach.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Quote:

Yes it was high. Don't have exact numbers but included the following parts.
Engine Oil... many gallons
Generator Oil ... not very much
Engine Oil Filter... costs more than gas coach
Engine water separator fuel filter
Engine inline fuel filter
Engine Air filter (remember this was big $$$ like 300)
Generator oil filter
Generator Air Filter
Generator fuel filter
Labor for each of the above

Total bill, $3000 .... you don't forget that part.

I have never paid even 1/3 that much on my gas coach.
Thanks for the breakdown. I do the maintenance on my truck, it has a 6.7 L Dodge, which is the ISB engine common in less expensive DPs. The engine only takes 16 quarts of oil unlike a motor home version which takes 20 or more. Air, oil and fuel filter run around $100 for all three so your bill really surprises me.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
My 92 L-10 was about $325 to have it done which included fuel and air filters.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:25 AM   #26

I'll have to agree with others who have suggested going with a used diesel. You'll get much more storage capacity, and towing capability. Granted their all the same when parked, but going down the road I like the comfort of air ride,and with the engine in back the quiet. But ultimately you're the one who has to decide. Just keep in mind the huge depreciation hit you'll take buying new.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #27

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Thanks for the breakdown. I do the maintenance on my truck, it has a 6.7 L Dodge, which is the ISB engine common in less expensive DPs. The engine only takes 16 quarts of oil unlike a motor home version which takes 20 or more. Air, oil and fuel filter run around $100 for all three so your bill really surprises me.
That air filter was a canister inline to the intake pipe which draws from the top rear of the coach. The canister was about 14" in diameter and about 24 to 30 inches long. It had to be beat on with a heavy sledge hammer to get it to slide off the pipe.

The worst part was that it was changed way prematurely. There is a little indicator that shows when the filter needs changing. It showed solid yellow after about 8000 miles. I later learned that the indicators cannot be trusted.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #28

I have my oil changed, oil and fuel filters replaced, oil changed and filters replaced on the generator and the chassis lubed at Speedo for less than $300. Yes, diesel parts are more expensive but nearly as expensive as some as saying.