Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #29

Tiffin 36LA should fit your needs perfectly. 3 years with ours and still lovin it. Total maintenance costs so far $35 oil changes depending on time or distance travelled.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
I take our V10 motorhome into the Ford garage QuickLane and get The Works. $39.95 + 2 extra quarts of oil.

PS: we have a very nice floor plan BUT when our grandkids aren't traveling with us we will probably get a floor plan that has a more open living area. Translation: at least 2 sliders in living room area. Having a 2 baths will remain a MUST.

Also the comment that diesels have more storage in the basement is not totally accurate. Our Gasser comes in at 210 sq feet with lots of pass throughs!!

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #31

Would be interested in the rental info. tk u, Ron
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:40 PM   #32

Kiwi,
I called the Local Cummins Service Center to discuss the price for the first oil change, Filter , fuel filter changes on our new 6.7 DP.
The Service manager ask if I would like some advice, I said sure. He says "don't bring your Motorhome here for that kind of service." He says we do not have Mechanics that just do service work. He said they use a mechanic from their repair shop and charge the same hourly shop rate for oil changes etc. He suggested I take it to a truck service center that only performs oil, lube and fuel filter service work.
I took his advice and had the oil, filter changed and both fuel filters changed plus 3 gals of Def at a independent truck service center, for total price of $163.00.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #33

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudntherd View Post
Kiwi,
I called the Local Cummins Service Center to discuss the price for the first oil change, Filter , fuel filter changes on our new 6.7 DP.
The Service manager ask if I would like some advice, I said sure. He says "don't bring your Motorhome here for that kind of service." He says we do not have Mechanics that just do service work. He said they use a mechanic from their repair shop and charge the same hourly shop rate for oil changes etc. He suggested I take it to a truck service center that only performs oil, lube and fuel filter service work.
I took his advice and had the oil, filter changed and both fuel filters changed plus 3 gals of Def at a independent truck service center, for total price of $163.00.
Good advice. That was a few years ago, and I was a new first time owner of a class A. I since no longer have the diesel (long story but involves lightening), but now have a gas unit. My present cost for gas unit is $49.00 plus oil and filter. I use synthetic and bring my own. Quite a difference.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #34

Thank you all for sharing. Very good info...the search continues. Ron & Claudia from the sunny South
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:27 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlock View Post
Escape might not be towable four down
Don
We tow an 2011 Escape, 4 down. Apparently, the 11 is the only Escape which is warranted for towing. The manual said it was towable, but, you had to take it to the dealer and he certified the fluid level and gave us a letter to that effect. We have towed it a couple of thousand miles. Most problems have been with battery drain. I don't tow over about 60 mph and follow the procedures. I am concerned about towing, after the warrantee expires.
philand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:56 AM   #36
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philand View Post
We tow an 2011 Escape, 4 down. Apparently, the 11 is the only Escape which is warranted for towing. The manual said it was towable, but, you had to take it to the dealer and he certified the fluid level and gave us a letter to that effect. We have towed it a couple of thousand miles. Most problems have been with battery drain. I don't tow over about 60 mph and follow the procedures. I am concerned about towing, after the warrantee expires.

After the warranty expires you could put on a lube pump, that would reduce the risk of transmission damage.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
I have owned two DP 1, 40' and 1, 43'. Both were beautiful and the floor plans worked well on both brands. The first was used and I never made a trip that did not require spending time in a service facility. The brand was also very hard to deal with when it came to getting parts and info. For those of you that say buy used because the bugs will be all worked out for you, I say "maybe"! I would expect that any first year depreciation cost were spent in maint cost + lost time waiting for the repairs. Buying new gave me control of getting all those 1st year bugs taken care of. There were many. Yet buying from a well respected manufacturer and using the coach heavily the first 12 months is a must, or you may find yourself paying for the neglect of the first owner or the missed items from the build, once the 12 month warranty is gone!
On another thing mentioned in this thread about the oil change service cost at $3000.
I have every filter changed along with the oil and Generator and a complete chassis check every year as a preventive maint item even though the mileage that I had driven did not required it. I have never paid more than approx. $1200. I do not do it myself, Mostly It was done by Freightliner or the Winnebago factory service center or the dealer. The cost was always in that ballpark.Cost a bit more when I had the Windshield wipers replaced.

'I have never owned a gasser, so any comments will come slightly unbalanced. Although I have run a small fleet of delivery vans both gas and diesel. Most Diesels will have a heavier frame and be able to hold the road better and tow heavier loads. Most will be quieter because of engine position. Most will have bigger tanks. They also tend to be treated as top of the line , or maybe I should say toward the top at least and therefore my have more bells and whistles than the gassers do. With the engine in the back they tend to have a bit more trouble keeping you warm and cool as you drive because of the distance the fluid travels.
I have been retired 18 years and traveled in every US State and Province of Canada, mostly by RV. while doing that I have observed just about every type and age of contraption that people will use to travel and live in. I have listened to their comments and shared many of my own. Very seldom have I seen any body absolutely unhappy with the way they were doing it. So the conclusion is buy, beg, or,"""" the one that seems right for you and get out there on the road. There is lots to see and do, and you are not getting any younger!
Old 12-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #38
HGC

Ready to buy

We are on our 2nd MH. Have a Tiffin 36LA (gas)w/bath and 1/2. Fleetwood and Newmar also have similar floor plans. Both excellent MHs. Gas is much less $ to maintain, is much more simple and if handy most maintenance you can do yourself. You usually can work a deal at 28% off of MSRP. Sometimes more.Used units may be close to new prices but in fairness may have more after market options. But shop dealers nationwide. And remember that you may not want the selling dealer to service your MH. Service is a separate problem to deal with. And that issue needs a LOT of research.
As far as power, ours has the Ford V10 and we always tow a Honda Accord. We took it up to Estes Park and it pulled that winding uphill road with no problem and it came down as easily.
Follow all the forums and talk to owners of the units that most suit you. Tiffin might be a good manufacturer for you since you are somewhat close to Red Bay AL. The factory is your best place for more extensive service. Good luck with your quest! Love to know what you decide.
By the way, we have a photography studio in Pittsburgh PA. If you would like to discuss this more feel free to email me through this forum.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #39

If you are interested in a gas rig the best advice so far is to check weight carrying capacity and towing capacity. In past years some gas motor homes would have 300 pounds of carrying capacity after filling up the gas, water, and LP tanks and adding two passengers. Things may have changed recently but I would check weights just to be sure.

In 2016 Ford made significant changes to its motor home chassis. A new 6 speed transmission has been added. With the new transmission the V10 engine does not Rev as high as it did with the 5 speed transmission making the cockpit much quieter.

Have fun in your search. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #40

What was the name of the coach you had so much trouble with and what year was it?
Waterlady55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lots of good reading on this topic! I bought my first MH in May 2014 and was sold on a DP from the start. I had several reasons for this:
-Good power
-air suspension gives a much better ride
- quieter on the road with the engine in the rear
-generator is in front, away from the bedroom, so there is less gen noise when boon docking
-diesel is now very clean with the DEF system

Since you live in Bradenton FL (where I'm sitting right now) you should go to Lazydays in Tampa. They have great selection and good service after the sale. We bought a Tiffin Allegro RED 33AA used (only 10 months). It was just a random visit to Lazydays and they happened to have this unit recently arrive. We grabbed it and are glad we did. Used Tiffin Allegro RED's don't stay on the market for long so you better be ready to pull the trigger if that is the direction you are going.
Good luck and have fun!
Snyderwheels is offline   Reply With Quote