Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2015, 06:33 AM   #1

Ready to go

Wells thanks to advice from everyone on here i bought a 2007 National Dolphin 5355 (36") with 23000 miles (beautiful) and a kadkaddy to tow my mercury mariner.
My question now is do you guys have some advice on what your procedure is when you pull into a campground of unloading the car and what to do with the karkaddy. It is actually a fairly long piece of equipment and does not fold up. I am also traveling by myself.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It depends on the campground site. Some pull throughs are large enough to leave it on. Disconnecting the car once there on site. Some will require a disconnect at the office, or just near the office. It's best to inquire when making reservations if you can. If in transit you may just leave it connected.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We find a place to disconnect the toad before going to the campsite. Sometimes we will do it at a nearby parking lot!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:43 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You'll soon discover for yourself that a tow dolly is a really big PIA. Get a vehicle that can be towed 4 wheels down without any mods, such as transmission lube pump, although my toad does. (But that's another story).

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #5

I would and have towed 4 down for five years with my prior motorhome. I sold and took two years off until now. Ford said i could tow my Mercury Mariner 4 down same as ford Escape. In five years they put in five trans. Still have the same vehicle couldn't afford a new one and an rv. But i will be traveling alone and I see it will be a PIA already. So it is a dolly for now until i can buy a new vehicle. I do prefer 4 down, way easier especially by yourself. I still have a Roadmaster rock guard front brackets, Falcon 2 tow bar and the works. Along with a break buddy,and a Coleman road trip grill in storage. I guess it is time to sell that stuff now that i don't need them anymore.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #6

I put a hitch on my toad and use it to move the dolly when it is more than a few feet.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy an EZE tow dolly, Easily moved by hand, can stand up at the back of the RV and is the easiest to load and unload a vehicle. Surge brakes so no controller or electrics, and way cheaper than a new car or 4 down conversion.
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
You'll soon discover for yourself that a tow dolly is a really big PIA. Get a vehicle that can be towed 4 wheels down without any mods, such as transmission lube pump, although my toad does. (But that's another story).

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad

I agree!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Bigwiz"......congrats on your new coach. The National products have really held their value and still look contemporary.

I understand you'll have to deal with what you were dealt in terms of your towing situation. It's going to be different at every campground. If you get a pull thru site with enough room, that will work well. We've been to some campgrounds where the campsite is a long ways away from the office, so you'll have to play that by ear, in regards to where you disconnect.

I would definitely have a hitch on the Mariner to haul the dolly around. Many places have storage areas where you can stash the dolly. You may want to back the dolly into your site and park it, with the nose down on the ground. You can then back the motor home in and partially over the dolly to give you more room.

I think just about anywhere you go, you'll find a way or place to park the dolly and make your situation work. Later, when finances permit, you can find something that will tow four down.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #10

I bought a tow dolly. Used one time and sold it. I flat tow my Jeep with a Roadmaster tow bar and can hitch or un hitch in 5 minutes. If you can at all get a toad you tow flat.
Ron D.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #11

You might also be sure to ask each campground if they allow dolly's some do some don't.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The easiest way to deal with a kaddy is to ask for a pull through. I flat tow, but I always ask for a pull through when I am on the road. Even a toad is a pain when you have to unhook it and hoof back to get it.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:27 AM   #13

Thanks again everyone. Your help is always appreciated. I will try the dolly out down to Florida and back from Florida in a few months and see how it goes. But i will keep all my 4 down equipment in storage until then. Thanks again
Old 12-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I put a hitch on my toad and use it to move the dolly when it is more than a few feet.
This is what I did when I used a dolly. Back dolly in site and back motor home over it.