Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Ready to make a big step up

well TheExcel 5th wheel is goneLooking for a Class A to pull my car hauler and classic car around. looking for info on diesels suggested length recommended. And sorry to say my budget is under $25K
Steve,N,Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #2

Thats what i paid for my 98 but spent about that again on getting her roadworthy and a few upgrades i wanted....
Good luck in your search and i hope your a DIY’er in electrical and mechanical im sure youll need it.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #3

Well I don't know if 25K is a.........big step.........or not, but I get your question.

This should get you started.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=aSU...iz.5jGPtif2ZDs

Good luck.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #4

I paid around that for my 99 36' needed nothing. I pull my car hauler with a classic bronco on it. you will have to look around for a while but they are out there.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
If I go without slide do you think I will regret it???
Old 01-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #6

Depends on what you had, if your 5th wheel had slides you will miss the room. You may need to add another 10K to your budget, 25K does not buy much in DP, especially one that will pull your car hauler. Good Luck
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:37 PM   #7

Go to RV Trader and type in your parameters and you will get an idea of how small that pool of candidates for your choice.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:44 AM   #8

With that budget, be prepared for a long search. We started out looking for a used gas MH in the $35-45K range and were surprised to see that most of what we looked at were not in very good condition, looked very dated and would require quite a bit of work. That's not to say you can't find one, but realistically, you have to be prepared to spend some money to make it road worthy i.e. it will probably need tires, some mechanical work such as plugs, wires, etc. Then you have to be ready to replace the mattress, possibly some of the furniture. And, one of the things we found was carpeting that would need replacement. If you can do a lot of your own work, it may make the cost more affordable.
But, if you don't mind the time and effort of a long search, you may find a gem. Good luck!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:59 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thats gonna be tough on that budget.Its hard to get a gas class A for that.There are a few and far between deals like that out there.My BIL bought a near perfect 2000 Pace Arrow gas class A for that,but it was one of those deals where the owner died and his widow just wanted it gone.Like already said anything near that is probably gonna need work to make road worthy.If you are a crafty guy you can do a lot of that yourself though. Good luck.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Thought I'd see what 25k would get and was surprised at what is out there. Here is one I would investigate after just a few minutes of searching. Good luck with finding the perfect one.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...5RH-5005263642
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #11

A friend of mine recently bought a diesel pusher for just that price. Keep in mind it is a lower-end coach lacking many of the amenities that the rest of us with diesel pushers are used to. it also has a much smaller engine. it has the 5.9 Cummins but for he and his wife it works just right and they are plenty happy with it. don't lose hope they're out there.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Thought I'd see what 25k would get and was surprised at what is out there. Here is one I would investigate after just a few minutes of searching. Good luck with finding the perfect one.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...5RH-5005263642
interesting thanks
Old 01-10-2019, 07:31 AM   #13

The cummins 5.9 is a great engine and can be upgraded for more power easily if the transmission will support the torque. I think mine is around 400hp / 8-900 torque it pulls my car hauler in 6th gear even in hills at 65 mph and gets around 10 mpg avg but ive got about 6k of upgrades in it.
There are known issues that need to be addressed to bulletproof it but these are all available online.

Id go with the allison 6 speed MD 3060 trans
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd start by understanding in detail your tow. Between the car hauler and vehicle, you may need a 10K rated hitch (ie, greater than 5K).

Remember also, that just because an RV has a hitch rated 5K, doesn't mean it can actually legally tow that much. That's only a statement about the strength of the hitch metal and it's connection to the frame.

You have to be concerned about the RV's CGVWR (the combined gross vehicle weight rating - the maximum amount of weight the RV and tow can be), and it's actual loaded weight (w/fuel, water, loaded as you travel). Your max tow is the 'minimum' of either the hitch rating, or (CGVWR minus RV actual weight). A number of coaches can't pull 5K, some diesels and moreso gassers.

Because you are going to pull a trailer instead of a toad or car dolly, you ALSO need to be concerned about your rear axle weight. If you assume your trailer and car will be 6K pounds, then the hitch weight has to be 10-15% of that or 600-900 lbs. When you hang that weight on the rear, it also shifts the center of gravity back and some weight will come off the front axle toward the rear, so you may end up with up to 1K pounds extra on the rear axle. Here again, your coach has ratings for each of your front and rear axle, where you shouldn't legally be overweight (Rear axle rating minus the actual weight (as per CAT scale). Axle ratings are the minimum of each of the components of the axles and frame (axle, brakes, shocks, airbags/springs, tires, bolts, etc). A number of coaches are already close to rear axle maxed out, and hauling a trailer like you are intending would put it over.

So a diesel with tag axle and 10K hitch rating 'should' give you the capacity you are seeking, but you really need to verify your tow and weights. Not sure you'll find one within your target price, so you are going to have to investigate whatever you choose very carefully.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote