Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
It is rated to tow 8000 lbs. and my 2001 Honda Accord weighs about 4000 lbs or less.
I also tow a Honda Accord, It's the EX-V6 model. I checked it on the scales and found it weighs only 3,250 lbs with a full tank of gas. I honestly can not tell the difference of whether it's behind me or not.

The only issue I had with the Ready Brute was with the adapter bracket that attache's the tow bar to the base plate. When I installed the tow bar assembly, I don't remember if I checked the torque on the nuts/bolts for the adapter. About 2,500 miles later when I disconnected the bar, the nuts were missing and the bracket bolts fell to the ground
There was nothing holding them in except gravity!
I was weak in the knee's and had to use the bathroom after that

Even with the break away feature installed, this is something you never want to see.

I take the blame for this because I never rechecked the bolt tightness for the adapters.
I hope my experience helps others.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
I also tow a Honda Accord, It's the EX-V6 model. I checked it on the scales and found it weighs only 3,250 lbs with a full tank of gas. I honestly can not tell the difference of whether it's behind me or not.

The only issue I had with the Ready Brute was with the adapter bracket that attache's the tow bar to the base plate. When I installed the tow bar assembly, I don't remember if I checked the torque on the nuts/bolts for the adapter. About 2,500 miles later when I disconnected the bar, the nuts were missing and the bracket bolts fell to the ground

Even with the break away feature installed, this is something you never want to see.

I take the blame for this because I never rechecked the bolt tightness for the adapters.
I hope my experience helps others.

WOW! That's scary! Is there not some way to use a pin with a retainer clip instead of bolts and nuts? It seems it would too much trouble to have to torque nuts each time you hook up. Also, what about the locking-type nuts?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #17

I have been using this since around 2005 and it is simple and works great. Just installed the baseplate for my Jeep on Saturday and getting it ready. Replaced the Chevy Tracker.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
WOW! That's scary! Is there not some way to use a pin with a retainer clip instead of bolts and nuts? It seems it would too much trouble to have to torque nuts each time you hook up. Also, what about the locking-type nuts?
Again, I installed this myself, and is most likely my fault.

On the initial install I still can't remember if I torqued the nuts down or just snugged them. That was over a year ago, and I have a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast. I used locking nuts and loctite this time. I will be checking it the next few times I use it to make sure all is well, but pretty sure it will not happen again.

I didn't mean to scare anyone, just stressing the importance of checking and rechecking a new install.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, lucky guy. I'm going out to check all the nut and bolts on mine today. Don't need a freewheeling Jeep leaving the motorhome. Thanks for the post.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have Ready Brake, Ready Bruit tow bar and tow a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. Works great. I have the LED on the dash that indicates when ready brake is active. With respect to exhaust brake, on 1st stage the surge brake does not apply. when transmission down shifts 2nd step on exhaust brake, the surge brake does activate.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by erstanfo View Post
I have Ready Brake, Ready Bruit tow bar and tow a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. Works great. I have the LED on the dash that indicates when ready brake is active. With respect to exhaust brake, on 1st stage the surge brake does not apply. when transmission down shifts 2nd step on exhaust brake, the surge brake does activate.
I called Ready Brake company today and the guy told me that the Ready Brake should never activate with the exhaust brake is used. He said that if it did, the cable to the toad brake pedal was probably too tight. You might want to call them about this.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #22

Quote:
I called Ready Brake company today and the guy told me that the Ready Brake should never activate with the exhaust brake is used. He said that if it did, the cable to the toad brake pedal was probably too tight. You might want to call them about this.
There's quite a surge/lurch when the coach shifts to a lower gear as the coach slows with the exhaust brake applied. It would come as no surprise to me that the toad brakes apply momentarily as that happened. Right after that happened though, there would no longer be enough "push" coming from the toad to have the toad brakes stay/remain engaged. Between the toad's braking action pulling the toad back away from the MH, and the heavy spring built into the ready brake pushing on the toad - that braking would only be a temporary thing the driver won't even notice.

There is no issue with these units on a down hill run. Period...
Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post

I will point out the step that MANY forget. INCLUDING MANY PROFESSIONALS.

The instructions for many devices, Tow gear (Hitches, tow bars, and the like) as well as even wheels, and dolly tow systems all include an instruction to re-check the torque (or tension) after a period of driving, varying from a short period (Dollys) to a medium (Mag alum wheels) to a fairly decent amount (Tow gear)

I am a firm believer in lubricating the nuts a bit before you install them... WITH LOCKTITE!

But you still need to check 'em down the road.

My expiernece is not quite as impressive as yours.. We found the loose bolts in time.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #24

Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
I like my Ready Brake but use it with a Demco tow bar.

Richard

Ready brake and ready brute are two entirely different animals

Dave Hill
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have used Ready Brute towbar for about 2 years and have had no problem at all. We have an 08 Saturn Vue and have pulled about 10K, never had a problem with toad brakes heating up. The toad brakes have been activated initially with the exhaust brake, as others said, but not enough to overheat. But i do know that when you HAVE to stop, it works. Hook up is simple and I do not have to rely on electronics or seat position. Also have the breakaway, hope I never have to use it. In my experience it is probably one of the best systems out there, it is a simple mechanical system. Although it is important that you understand the operation and adjustments of it. I bought directly from NSA, picked it up in Kansas, and they were great to deal with.