Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarmor View Post
OMG! Who ever said more then a boat is so wrong and never owned a boat. I just sold my boat because the fuel was unreal. One mile to the gallon at best. Usually .7 mpg. Insurance the same as a boat. Boat dockage and storage $9000/year. RV motorhome $65/month off site on blacktop. Service less on the RV cause you can get any truck repair guy to service it. [Moderator Edit] Tires much more on an RV but props on the boat make up for no tires at $3500 a pair.
Must have been one really supreme pleasure boat!

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #16

Fixed Cost:
Boats of about the same length 40-45 ft cost about the same as MH 40-45 ft to keep. Never owned a plane that big but Mooneys and Cessna's run about the same to keep unless you get hit with a major AD or overhaul.

Variable Cost:

Fuel is dependant on use. Trawlers 40-45 use about 8-10 GPH fuel at 7-8 Knots, Sail Boat use less fuel but most folks are under power 50% of the time so fuel use is more than expexted. Small planes burn 9-30 GHP at 150 knots or better depending on plane.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #17

my boat was a 370 cruisers yacht. my motorhoime 38' holiday rambler. Love the mh liked the yacht
Old 10-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Hey DV, I don't know if this is what you are looking for by I keep track of all my expenses, including fuel, maintenance, etc. My 5 year average for my 41 foot DSDP is approx $0.50 per mile of RV'ing, not including orriginal purchase & taxes.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Again, boat, not yacht.. or boat house
No size was specified and our boat was 24' with a fly bridge, had a boat well to keep it in rather than out in the weather.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmerpaw View Post
Hey DV, I don't know if this is what you are looking for by I keep track of all my expenses, including fuel, maintenance, etc. My 5 year average for my 41 foot DSDP is approx $0.50 per mile of RV'ing, not including original purchase & taxes.
Now the fuel alone is costing that much!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Doesn't all of this input make you want to run right our and buy two?

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #22

We are new and just purchased an Allegro 36la. That was the cheap part. First year expenses are going to be high. For us it's a new car (my Rav4 can't be towed), tow plate, tow bar, brake system, surge protector, water pressure regulator, TPMS, cook ware, linens, water hoses, 4g hot spot, truck tire inflator/guage, Correll dishes, plastic wine glasses, outside mat, collapsible chairs, grill, table, and the list goes on.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
More than a boat, less than a plane per hour.
Don't know about the plane. Having owned boats both small and large, the emphasis on 25 ft. Or larger our MH at 43 ft is no where as costly as my past 45 ft sloop. No where close!!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
For what it's worth

Costs of all 3 "investments" should be split into standing costs and operating costs
1999 Mooney TLS value $200k - add annual, hangar, ins and real depreciation no change from $36k
Operating cost $200/hr ( fuel 20g/hr)

2006 Boat 30ft power cat value $100k
Add service/repairs, dock, ins depn $12k tops
For me no dock as I live on a waterway.
Operating cost $70/hr (fuel 16g/hr)
2001 Motorhome Dynasty value $100k ( inc new Subaru toad) add service/repairs, storage, ins, depn $15k ( it costs me double for ins as a non resident)
So based on the above in my case it's more than a boat but way way less than the plane. But cheaper than the boat to operate.
The more toys you have the less time you have to spend with them making them individually more expensive per hr,day,week etc
If I divided the time I spent in or around each toy the motor home wins hands down as the least expensive.
Add $3500 in fuel to my last trip if 10 weeks and that's a very cheap holiday
Went fishing Sunday 12 whiting 1.5 hrs fuel @ 16g/hr. $120. cost at local fish shop $25
Compare flying 1 hr say circuits - $230 inc landing fees
These are just my figures but it was this thread that made me compare extravagances.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
One important replacement element I've not seen mentioned is batteries for the RV ~ both chassis & house. Apparently they can be more expensive than tires if they are AGA...and replaced on a slightly more frequent basis of about 4 years. Am I correct on this?

Mark
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #26

We have a smaller front engine diesel. Our "fixed" costs, i.e. maintenance, storage, insurance, and registration has been $2947/year since 2007. I do very little maintenance myself and pay to have most of it done, but do adhere to all the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedules. We spend 5-6 months away from our stick and bricks but only average 5000 - 6000 miles per year. Variable expenses (campgrounds, fuel, internet access, sat tv, mail forwarding, etc.) will, of course depend on lifestyle and travel. Purchase cost, depreciation, finance costs/loss of investment income, etc. will also depend on your personal situation.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
My investment advisor (DW)? Just pointed to 3 repairs I'd forgotten about - new transmission ecu $3600. New rear 15000 btu heat pump $1500??, smartwheel controller replaced for no good reason $400??
Still the cheapest "investment" I own
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
we bought a 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder 42 ft diesel in Feb 2012 with 35K miles. Oil change, filter, fuel filter and air filter $900.00 (& it was done by a friend), 6-7 Mpg adds up quickly, misc repairs so far $300.