Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #29
Good looking coach!

If you get some Boeshield T-9 (available at any Marine store) you can have the engine looking much like the one in the video.

FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #30
Country Coach Owners Club
Thumbs up

That is a beautiful and well regarded coach. It should be a reliable rig.

We have a similar floor plan in the same vintage but different brand coach.

We do not have 4 kids.

If you have not already done so, envision how you are going to use the rig and where everyone will sleep. I suspect the furniture allows 4 sleeping positions and of course, floor space may allow two smaller kids but you will be very crowded in the evening bedtime and when arising in the morning.

The space issue is no worse than sleeping in a tent with your family, but something to evaluate.

Have fun Rving.....

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Uh, oh...

Originally Posted by marineguy View Post
Hello folks.
Well, after months of searching online and checking out RVs, I'm real close to closing the deal on a 95 American Eagle 39AF on consignment
Um... isn't the most dangerous thing in the world a Marine pilot with his own toolbox?

Chris, I think you're on to a good thing. Go for it.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #32
Believe me, I have had many "visions" of how we would use this coach (or a '00 Newmar Mountain Aire, or an '01 Searay Sundancer 280...). I see it like this: 3 and 5 year olds on the pullout sofa, 7 year old on the single sofa, me and my bride in the rear bedroom, baby in the bassinet next to us. That arrangement should last us for about two years of growth. By the time the baby is too big to sleep in a pack-n-play, hopefully I can replace the dinette with a booth, which will leave the two youngest kids (now 2 and 5) on the double sofa, the 7 year old in the new booth, and the 9 year old on the single sofa. That arrangement would probably buy us another five years of growth, at which time we'll be looking at upgrading. My dad actually has a few black walnut logs awaiting a trip to the sawmill. If I talk him into processing them now, the boards should at 15% MC by the time I'm ready to build a booth. Or I guess I could just go the easy route and buy one in a couple years.
marineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the price is right, go for it. But do take delivery at the dealership and do plan to spend 3-4 days there, living in the coach and using every system. Make sure everything works before you leave, and make sure YOU know where everything is and how to operate it.

Tom Johnson is a well known American Coach dealer and should be able to take good care of you, but don't rely solely on their good will. They may not do as thorough a job as you would like when they check it out.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #34
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
Um... isn't the most dangerous thing in the world a Marine pilot with his own toolbox?

Chris, I think you're on to a good thing. Go for it.
True, they're glad to issue us Berettas and M4s--just in case things don't go according to plan--but they would never let us have our own wrenches.
marineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My opinion, go for it. One of the reasons it is so inexpensive is the mileage. Don't get me wrong, it's not high for a DP. Many buyers wll pass it up because of the miles, so it won't command the 50-60 k that many of these will bring. The genny should go 10,000 hours.

Basically, you will have the same issues as anything from 1995 to 2005, stuff inside breaking, all the stuff mentioned plus plumbing, propane tank, etc.
Get underneath, if the frame looks good, and you can see no signs of damage or recent floor/ frame repair, it is probably ok.

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but you are starting with a premium coach. I was looking for one of these before I got my Holiday Rambler.

Good luck, and enjoy it for at least 10 years.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #36
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You might want to look at some coaches a few years newer when they started putting slides in them. With four kids, you might need a bit more room than this one has.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #37
Originally Posted by marineguy
Hopefully these photos will upload...
That is a nice MH. Mine was very similar 95. It had 80,000 miles and was in reasonable condition. I paid $29,000 two years ago and have since gone to a 99 with slide. I would not hesitate buying the one shown for a reasonable price
Mknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #38
I bought one without a slide on purpose. You give up storage space for the mechanism and more things to break. Ours is a 94, and yes, I have had to replace lots of little things like starter, alternator, master cylinder, and exhaust manifold. I am also handy, and think if you are game to face those possibilities, go for it. The unit you are talking about will continue to depreciate, but very much more slowly than a newer one that would cost a lot more. Your kids will adapt to whatever space you have, and they will make memories that will last forever. This forum has saved us thousands of $$ through 10 plus years of motorhoming. We love the lifestyle, and encourage you to go for it. Keep all of us posted as you make your decision and let me wish you the very best of luck. HarveyP
94 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE

HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #39
Hey Chris, Semper Fi Marine, retired Master Gunnery Sergeant Haney here. I think you will love the Coach, however there is that little nagging voice in the back of my mind when the wife said that it was a little "Small".

With three little boys and another on the way, those guys are going to be growing, so they will need some more space. There are RV's with Bunk Beds, you might want to do some searches for those. Don't want to be a wet blanket, but you got to SLOW DOWN Marine, do you want your own baseball team Ha Ha Ha.

The American Eagle is a great coach, you need to put down some gravel or better if you own the home, pour some concrete, a fifty foot long twelve foot wide is where I park my coach. We have owned several, Bonnie and I, and am currently in negoations for a 2001 Expedition with two slides its a diesel fleetwood in excellent shape 5.9L with 50,000 miles and only 49,995.00 it is 36 feet long.

Anyhoo, whatever you get the boys will love it and they will have memories that will last forever.

Semper Fi Marine "Sir"
MGySgt USMC (R) 30 years 61-91
Drill Instructor 68-71 MCRD San Diego

Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote