Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post
I have been in wookworking for about 35 years. If you take a good look at high end cabinets anywhere, even in the s/b i think you will find solid wood fronts, doors and drawer fronts. the sides etc are a veneered over plywood (best quality), or over particle board. The lower end stuff is veneer over medium density fiberboard, which is basically cardboard, and will swell and de-laminate when it gets wet. Even worse stuff is when they use a paper glued to the fiberboard. the paper is basically a picture of real wood to imitate it.
With that said......veneer over plywood is a much more stable product than "solid" wood as solid wood is not stable (it will twist and warp) especially if not finished properly, and is exposed to extreme changes in temperature and humidity.
so there you have it.....enjoy!

I disagree with that. Quality built cabinets are built of solid wood. Cheap cabinet builders do what you are talking about and may pass it off as wood but those are cheaply built. They may be expensive cabinets but they are cheaply built

In answer to the posters question I can say this TIFFIN, TIFFIN, TIFFIN.

I visited the tiffin factory and saw them building cabinets. There was nothing but oak. More Oak than I have ever seen in one spot in my life. After the tour I made a joke about not seeing any particle board anywhere during the tour. The tour guide did not realize I was joking and told me I would never ever see any particle board anywhere on their coaches. I told him I was joking because I was so impressed. They do a good job on their cabinets.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Even my old Winnebago Journey has solid oak cabinetry and everything fits together without gaps

Also didn't cost near as much as a Monaco

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #17

Most of the higher end MHs have high quality joinery. I had a 2008 Beaver Contessa and it was very well constructed. Although made by Monacvo, the Beaver heritage was preserved. The owners of Beaver Coach were high end cabinetry guys.

I agree solid wood cabinet fronts (frames and doors) is the best. I also agree that furniture grade plywood everywhere else makes sense. High end plywood is definitely stronger and more stable.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #18

Even my lowly American Revolution is solid maple. Was a big deal to me as the travel trailer I came from was constantly having issues with the cabinet door screws.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #19

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I disagree with that. Quality built cabinets are built of solid wood. Cheap cabinet builders do what you are talking about and may pass it off as wood but those are cheaply built. They may be expensive cabinets but they are cheaply built

In answer to the posters question I can say this TIFFIN, TIFFIN, TIFFIN.

I visited the tiffin factory and saw them building cabinets. There was nothing but oak. More Oak than I have ever seen in one spot in my life. After the tour I made a joke about not seeing any particle board anywhere dhauring the tour. The tour guide did not realize I was joking and told me I would never ever see any particle board anywhere on their coaches. I told him I was joking because I was so impressed. They do a good job on their cabinets.
Well...i wouldn't want you to rip apart your cabinets, but i also disagree with what you think you saw at the factory. Unless you have actually worked in their wood shop, you wouldn't know.
I have worked for a kitchen cabinet maker whose average kitchen prices were more than 1/4 million dollars, and they used veneered plywood sides and backs for the stability. They are considered as, if you will "the tiffin of the kitchen cabinets". Excellent quality.

I am not meaning to be confrontational. I just know the inside facts.
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
2011 Winnebago Journey Express with solid Cherry. Looks beautiful!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #21

Welcome aboard. You will find many "quality" coaches on the market. You can also very good coaches in the mid price range. The better ones will have plywood either wrapped or veneered cabinets with "real" wood doors. We have had 2 Tiffins and 2 Fleetwoods. In our case, the Fleetwoods have held up better than the Tiffins.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Curly......It's hard to just name a coach and say they use real wood or have better quality cabinets. A lot of coach manufacturers have several levels of coaches. Their low end coach may have particle board where their high end uses something of a better quality. You'll just have to look.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
This one Is a Airstream in Cleveland

1985 Airstream 345 Classic Motorhome Class A - RARE Collector!

looks like it could be worth the money.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #24

Curly it depends on the years as to what motorhomes are considered upper end. But lets just say your question is what motorhomes made in the last ten years are upper end this would be my list.

Newell
Foretravel
Country Coach
Beaver
Blue Bird
Monaco
Travel Supreme
American Coach
Alpine

Recently Entegra Coach has been building very nice rigs. The best wood would be in the upper end of the line.

Newmar builds the Essex and Tiffin builds the Zephyr - Those models from those makers have high end wood.

Of all of these the most beautiful cabinets I have seen are on the high end Beavers. They are known for their wood. Their interiors look like Henredon or other high end furniture. My Country Coach Affinity has beautiful solid ash cabinets. The Affinity is at the top end of Country Coaches line.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:37 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I disagree with that. Quality built cabinets are built of solid wood......
Quote:
Well...i wouldn't want you to rip apart your cabinets, but i also disagree with what you think you saw at the factory.
I agree with steinjef here. I built quite a few houses a few years back, and for a while I did the kitchen installs and finish carpentry myself. Even from the highest grade shops, cabinet boxes are veneered high grade plywood. Gemini is correct in that you won't see particle board or MDF in top quality boxes. Face frames, doors, fronts are solid wood. Its simply the best way to yield a top quality product. Solid wood panels are structurally weaker, dimensionally unstable, materially expensive, and labor intensive.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:50 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
...... what motorhomes made in the last ten years are upper end this would be my list.

Newell
Foretravel
Country Coach
Beaver
Blue Bird
Monaco
Travel Supreme
American Coach
Alpine

Newmar builds the Essex.....
I'm not sure why you exclude Newmar from your list, with passing reference to the Essex. Newmar's entire DP line is and has been highly regarded for its cabinetry. Even my 12 y/o Dutch Star has solid woodwork and cabinetry everywhere I care to swing my head!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:57 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Obviously the answer is, Look at a lot of them before you buy any of them. Find the one you like that you can afford and have fun. If you do not like the cabinetry you can redo it yourself later...
Gyrene6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Well...i wouldn't want you to rip apart your cabinets, but i also disagree with what you think you saw at the factory. Unless you have actually worked in their wood shop, you wouldn't know.
I have worked for a kitchen cabinet maker whose average kitchen prices were more than 1/4 million dollars, and they used veneered plywood sides and backs for the stability. They are considered as, if you will "the tiffin of the kitchen cabinets". Excellent quality.

I am not meaning to be confrontational. I just know the inside facts.
Although I'm not familiar with every coach, I agree with you. It would be unusual to not use plywood (vs. solid wood) in structural areas where it makes sense to do so. Plywood works better for cabinet interior walls and backs while allowing slightly larger storage space within the cabinet.

While talking about particle board, it's also necessary to distinguish between lower end particle board and the heavier MDF ... and these are also quite different from OSB.

Cabinet Construction 101-Plywood vs MDF