Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Reality check: How to remove a tire from my 38ft Class A?

I have 22.5" tires on my 03 Holiday Rambler. A outside rear tire was damaged by previous owner hitting a curb, I believe.

Is it physically possible for me to pull this tire off to take to a truck stop to replace?

How do I lift the coach for the tire to clear the ground?

Can I remove a front wheel -- since my hydraulic jacks will lift it off the ground? Or is it a massive amount of weight, torque, and labor?\

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #2

It can be done but I've been told you will need a torque wrench to get the proper torque on the lugs. Also, if your jacks wont lift the rear wheel off the ground (do not lift BOTH sides) then you're going to need a really big jack. I have successfully removed an outside dual by backing the inside dual up on a block, then setting the brakes and extending the jacks, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. The tire will be heavy.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #3

I have Lippert Jacks and the owners manual says "NEVER" use the jacks to lift coach off the ground! Big tires and weight scare me!
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mark/Jim,
Yah, it seemed like a daunting task just by checking the size of lug nuts.
Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fully agree, if not sure how, this is no time to learn. Find a quality tire shop and let them do it.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
I have to agree with most people here. How much are you really going to save by trying to do it yourself? After all the aggravation, plus the physical labor and swearing, are you really saving? Let a professional do it and look elsewhere to save a few bucks.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I just had my front tire changed. First they are torqued to 500 lbs per lug nut. Unless you have one hell of a compressor and air tools. I'd have a shop do it. It takes them 15 minutes what could take you all day without the right tools.
Good luck
Rick
Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
I have 22.5" tires on my 03 Holiday Rambler. A outside rear tire was damaged by previous owner hitting a curb, I believe.

Is it physically possible for me to pull this tire off to take to a truck stop to replace?

How do I lift the coach for the tire to clear the ground?

Can I remove a front wheel -- since my hydraulic jacks will lift it off the ground? Or is it a massive amount of weight, torque, and labor?\

Thanks.
If you can lift that tire, you are the one I would hire.
It is far beyond my capability.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Road side assistance is your best bet. I had a flat here in the driveway and Good Sam sent a tire service out.

If the lug nuts are on as they are supposed to be, 400-500 pounds of torque is going to require some big extension bars on the end of a lug nut wrench to loosen them.

If you have air in both tires my suggestion is to drive to a reputable tire repair place.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, thanks all. I get it: weight, torque, and labor.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Road side assistance is your best bet. I had a flat here in the driveway and Good Sam sent a tire service out.
Happy trails.

Wayne,
The coach is not quite ready to drive, and it is parked in the driveway. Do you think roadside assistance would come out and be able to change it in the driveway, or would it have to be pulled out for better access to the sides?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Wayne,
The coach is not quite ready to drive, and it is parked in the driveway. Do you think roadside assistance would come out and be able to change it in the driveway, or would it have to be pulled out for better access to the sides?
This is what I would do.

Call and ask them. Roadside assistance is probably used to dealing with tires in all sorts of differing circumstances. If the MH cannot be moved then it cannot so it must be dealt with as is; tell them the circumstances so they can be prepared when they arrive. There may be some additional fees for this but you can decide after you hear what they say.

I had a situation once where the roadside assistance plan was to remove the tire go fix it and return with it---turned out I could get air in the tire enough to hold to get to them so this never happened but that was the plan.

Good luck and I comnend you for deciding not to change this tire by yourself.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Wayne,
I recently posted a pic in another thread on getting towed with AAA Premier RV...it was a picture in my driveway No extra charge. Roadside assistance I'm sure can determine if the vehicle needs to be towed or winched for better access. About 10 years ago I woke up to find a flat tire on my wife's daily driver in our driveway. We called AAA and the absolutely said no problem and came and swapped. Why not? No restrictions on where the problem occurs. One restriction I'm aware of with many roadside assistance programs is you usually can't call for service the day you sign up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ChazA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Wayne,
I did not have a problem. In my case the outside tire was flat. The service that showed up had a jack. My driveway slopes So I made darn sure I had my blocks under the front wheels, and opposite side rear duals, to keep it from rolling. I expected it was a slow leak and I tried using my compressor to inflate it but the bead was separated from the rim. They jacked it up and put air to it and it inflated. Then they found it was the valve extender leaking, not at the fitting of either end, but where the 1 inch or so metal was crimped to the braid. I don't use valve extenders anymore.

There was no charge to me for the service call. A good mobile tire repair can change a tire in about 15-20 minutes that includes taking it off, braking it down and remounting a new tire. Good luck with that if you do-it-yourself.

If you get any static from your roadside assistance, inform them (in a nice way) that if you don't get it fixed it will cause them to have to make future calls because the other tire is being weakened by the load. One tire is not designed to take all of the weight distribution, and it is going to cost you more money also.

Ask your roadside assistance people to have the service that they contact call you before coming. When they call you can ask the appropriate questions to see if they are equipped to handle you. You can explain the situation, and you can ask them to bring the brand, and size, tire that you need. You already know that it is needing replacing. If they cannot handle it, get their number, then call your RA and explain, ask for another mobile service repair. Worse case may be that you have to go get the tire before hand if the service can provide all except a new tire.

Remember that the first time you do get to take it out you want to go have that tire balanced, and depending if it is flat now you may want to have the inside tire checked for stress damage, and that is not easy by just looking at it.

Happy trails.

Sorry about the book writing.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote