Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Really ?

I just noticed thumbing thru my owner's manual(2012 Monaco Knight) that it suggested to run the coach at least 20 miles every two weeks.Do some people actually do this if they are camped for extended periods of time,say a month or more?Personally I never have nor have ever seen anyone else do it.Just wondered and am now curios if it hurts the engine to sit for extended periods.I forgot to say I have a Diesel engine.

nena is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Diesels do like to be run and don't like to sit, but this seems a bit on the extreme side to me.

I think most DP owners are careful not to just put them in storage for months at a time and ignore them. Probably every two months or so I would try to take mine out for a 20 mile drive just to get everything up to operating temperature... including the tires. I know of nobody who breaks camp every two weeks just to exercise their DP.

BTW, you can add the year, make and model of your coach to your signature line using the "User CP" (control panel) here on the forum. That lets everyone see at a glance what type of rig you're asking questions about.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
no engine/drivetrain should sit for extended periods of time,when we go to florida for 3 months I will start the engine and genny every month and let them run for 30 minutes.If I were to stay somewhere for 5-6 months I would break camp to exercise it after a couple of months or so.
Good Sam Life Members
Served in U.S.A.F.
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have to disagree: engines are quite happy to be at rest and diesels are happier than most. We don't start the coach engine unless we plan to drive it and don't drive it unless we have somewhere to go.

Transmission and rear axles have some seals that like to be lubricated to stay pliable, so it's nice to drive a bit to circulate fluids in them. However, we don't do that either and everything seems to stay fine. We've had three different coaches (two gas, one doiesel) and routinely park for 2-3 months at a time in summer and the coach sits at our Florida home 4-6 months a year as well. 15 years experience so far.

Do what you think is best, but I wouldn't get in a tizzy over it one way or the other.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Two weeks, no. 4-6wks, we do. But if you do, make it far/long enough to exercise as much of the systems as possible (e.g. trans temp up to operating temp, genny under a modest load, aqua hot (on diesel), etc.). I try to pick "nice" days in the winter time to go for a short drive (a couple of minutes to the Interstate, then 10-15 minutes out and then back). I try to avoid brutally cold days so the Genny doesnt run long before the oil is up to temp (the ISL can be pre-heated via 110v or Aqua Hot).
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ
Playtime IV
Holiday FL
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
I have the same MH. I try and run mine at least 20 miles every 2-3 months. Do not just start the engine and let it idle, it's not good for the DPF system.
2012 Monaco Knight 36 PFT
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited on 2007 16' Car Hauler trailer
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
I've parked mine for six months at a time without starting. No issues.
2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This was the subject of a thread some months ago. This was my post at that time:

>>>My first year I would exercise the Cat. Then I asked a couple of other volunteers their procedure. They both towed large fivers with road tractors. One had spent an entire career with large diesel vehicles.

It's a two-step process.

Step 1: On arrival, shut off engine.

Step 2: On departure, start engine.<<
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club

Thanks everyone for your input.Most of what ya'll advised was more or less along my line of thoughts as we'll.
nena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
It's a two-step process.

Step 1: On arrival, shut off engine.

Step 2: On departure, start engine.<<
Just remember a little warm up and for sure a cool down before you shut it down. That turbo shaft spinning at 15,000+ rpms (higher when the engine is off idle) doesn't like the lack of oil pressure. You may have covered the cool down while checking in to the CG

Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote