Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2015, 04:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Really Dead Coach

I went to storage to check on my Class A and found it totally dead.
I had it plugged into 120 volts but the best I can think is the power
went out, which was confirmed by the storage lot and the coach turned to the house batteries which discharged after no power for 17 hours, and then froze due to the weather. (never rains but it pours) then it sit there powerless for a couple of days.
Now I don't have any juice even tho I charged the batteries for three days.
Question is even tho it's still plugged into 120 volts, there is no power anywhere. lights, wall plugs--nothing.
Energy Management Syst. shows trying to load but nothing.
House and 120 dead.
Do I need to replace the 4 house batteries ? If I do will everything come back on ?????????????????
Help me please

Larry

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 04:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello Larry, if it was me I would pull all the batteries out, take them home, allow to thaw out, then slow charge them back up, and then when charged and with a meter the voltage is up, take them to your local parts store and have them load tested.........this procedure will tell the story as to "Do I need to replace them".
I am going to say, them freezing, took a big chunk of life out of them, if it did not ruin them, but it never hurts to try, you are out nothing but time trying. Good luck!

Old 01-08-2015, 05:33 AM   #3

How cold? If you have zero power, something else is wrong since I do not think you could kill 4 batteries completely. Do you have a voltmeter? If not pick one up at wally world or any parts store. Check voltage on each battery and check to see if they are getting a charge current from your charge controller.

A parasitic load killed my new engine battery in -17F recently in Canada. A battery charger brought it back in two days with no issues.

Apparently we brought the Canada weather with us when we drove home, it's 3F here right now in TN.....brrrr
Old 01-08-2015, 06:44 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I assume you are talking about the house batteries??? Do you have separate chassis batteries? If so will the engine start from the chassis batteries? If so perhaps, as my coach does, if the house batteries are too low the generator will not start. If this happens I can start the engine, and then start the generator from there. Once the generator is started the engine may be turned off. Perhaps if it will start, it might be a good idea to run the coach down the road for 20 or 30 minutes to allow the engine temp. to get to operating temp. before shutting it off. This might also warm things up in the coach for you. I would let the generator run for a few hours. This might help to charge the house batteries so that they will recover from this extreme situation.

This might be worth trying before replacing these expensive batteries.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I would use jumpers and jump start the motorhome from another vehicle. I'd then set the coach for fast idle and let it idle for an hour. Then check batteries.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you really froze the batteries they are most likely toast. As stated by Palehorse89 pull them, take them home, charge them then, have them load tested.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I would use jumpers and jump start the motorhome from another vehicle. I'd then set the coach for fast idle and let it idle for an hour. Then check batteries.
This is the very last thing he would want to do with FROZEN BATTERIES!

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us...ttery-freezes/

http://www.examiner.com/article/when...ozen-batteries
Old 01-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #8

If I read this right, you have more than a battery problem, although that is big enough. With 120 volt plugged in you should have 120v power at the wall outlets and the converter should power the lights. Perhaps your transfer switch is frozen up, or the circuit breakers for the 120v system tripped. Since your batteries are probably still frozen, you should thaw them before trying to charge them. I'm not sure what frozen batteries would do to your converter-it may have blown fuses in it (but some converters may not work without sensing an attached and active battery). I think the first thing (after disconnecting the batteries) will be to start at the outside plug-in and figure out where your 120v stops.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
I went to storage to check on my Class A and found it totally dead.
I had it plugged into 120 volts but the best I can think is the power
went out, which was confirmed by the storage lot
and the coach turned to the house batteries which discharged after no power for 17 hours, and then froze due to the weather. (never rains but it pours) then it sit there powerless for a couple of days.
Now I don't have any juice even tho I charged the batteries for three days.
Question is even tho it's still plugged into 120 volts, there is no power anywhere. lights, wall plugs--nothing.
Energy Management Syst. shows trying to load but nothing.
House and 120 dead.
Do I need to replace the 4 house batteries ? If I do will everything come back on ?????????????????
Help me please

Larry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBr View Post
If I read this right, you have more than a battery problem, although that is big enough. With 120 volt plugged in you should have 120v power at the wall outlets and the converter should power the lights. Perhaps your transfer switch is frozen up, or the circuit breakers for the 120v system tripped. Since your batteries are probably still frozen, you should thaw them before trying to charge them. I'm not sure what frozen batteries would do to your converter-it may have blown fuses in it (but some converters may not work without sensing an attached and active battery). I think the first thing (after disconnecting the batteries) will be to start at the outside plug-in and figure out where your 120v stops.
First post.........lost power............
Old 01-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #10

Ah, yes. I assumed it had come back on since he specified a time interval without power.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:40 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I read each post and then run to the storage lot to give it a try, the batteries are thawed out now, but will not charge.
My thoughts are will dead batt's. keep the 120 from flowing ??
I guess I will have to bite the bullet and replace the batteries. Then we will see what happens.
Thanks for all the ideas, please keep them coming.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:29 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you disconnect the batteries tape the battery ends and if you now have 120 service plug in coach.
Your lights should work off the converter and you should have 120 in some of your outlets that are not off the inverter.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:15 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Seems you have 2 problems.. 1 the batteries froze. 2. You have no shore power. You do not need batteries to have shore power to certin things: residential fridge, micro wave. I would 1st verify that you do in fact have shore 120 volt power. Simple test bring something small and plug it directly into the shore power a small light, fan, power tool. Once you verify that you have 120 you can follow 007 advise and remove batteries for charging and testing. DON'T FORGET TO TAPE the battery cables and label them for reinstall or tape a selfe on your phone of the layout.
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #14
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
If your batteries drained right down to zero, it's likely that they will not take a charge and hold it. I've had this happen and had to replace them.