Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #1

Really, really, really dumb question....

I have never driven anything with an automatic transmission - have always driven a stick. In my world, 1st gear is lowest, then 2, 3, 4 and overdrive.

So here's the question: in an auto transmission, which is the lowest gear - 1 or 2? When I downshift on the MH, can I drop it right to 2 or should I downshift to 1 and then 2 - or start at two and upshift to 1? I don't want to leave my transmission in a pile on the road if I do something wrong!
Nuiloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #2

1 is low, downshift one gear at a time, let rpms be your guide.
S2kskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I have never driven anything with an automatic transmission - have always driven a stick. In my world, 1st gear is lowest, then 2, 3, 4 and overdrive.

So here's the question: in an auto transmission, which is the lowest gear - 1 or 2? When I downshift on the MH, can I drop it right to 2 or should I downshift to 1 and then 2 - or start at two and upshift to 1? I don't want to leave my transmission in a pile on the road if I do something wrong!
If you have Allison transmission, it is pretty smart-won't let you downshift if the shift will cause your engine to over rev. I'm assuming you have diesel pusher.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #4

Nope - gas. Ford Triton V10
Nuiloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My '99 has 1 (first), 2 (second) and D rive or 3rd. On the end of the shift lever is a button for Overdrive, or 4th if you will. You leave the light off. When the light is ON, is says "off'".

For 99.9% of your driving you will simply use D(rive). The trans will up/down shift when it needs to. With the OD light off, it will shift automatically into OD when your speed is high enough. On grades, it will downshift to 3rd when it needs to. On real steep inclines, it will downshift to 2nd.

On steep downgrades running at speed, you will want to turn the OD OFF (which turns the OD light on) just like you would from 4 th to 3rd on a steep grade with a stick.

If you have a newer Ford, the OD may be incorporated into the shift lever. You would have 1, 2, D and OD. Same operation, just use the lever,no button.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Overdrive, 4, 3, 2 ,1
Old 05-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #7

on a newer V10 we also have tow/haul mode which changes shift pattern and enables you to use the engine as part of the braking system (downshifting to use the motor rpms to slow the vehicle). other than tow/haul i put mine in D and go. (Except when i need to back up of course)
Old 05-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #8

OOPS tow/haul is a push button on the end of shift lever --sorry