Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #1

Really thinking about looking at this 2000 Dutch Star 3551

Im really thinking about this DP. Its the floor plan I want with it only being 35 long. I need a shorter DP for the things we are going to use if for now before our plans of full timing in 2019. I have long liked the Dutch Star line and planed on a used one when we go full time. I talked to the salesmen for about a hour on this rig and says its great inside and out. There is maintanace records, manuals, and they will do a full PDI and fix any issuse. New tires in 2014. They have had this Rig since July. The pics I see are good and there is nothing I dont like for this being a 2000. I am 11 hours away from Garfield, MN so I have to think long and hard if I want to make the trip knowing I will walk away if I dont like it. The model is a 3551 which is not listed in the 2000 brochures, but the salesmen says the sticker says its a 3551 with a Freightliner XC chassis, and a 300hp Cat. NADA lists it at 36K-44K.

What things in this year and model do I need to perticularly pay attantion too that may be problem areas? I will look at everything if I go up there to inspect it, but if someone can point out some must double look areas that would be great. Im going to reaserch the chassis and the 300HP Cat. I have looked for a year at stuff for sale on the net and have not seen a 2000 short Dutch Star as good as this one for the price.

Any advice on this year and model would be great.

Thanks,
Jen

#15-320CA - 2000 Newmar Dutch Star 3551 for sale in Garfield MN
G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Jen;
I had a 99 DSDP almost exactly the same except the kitchen was on the slide and it was this that caused most of my problems because of previous leaks and the fact that the floor had rotted underneath the sink.

The one you are looking won't have that problem as the kitchen is on the non-slide side so the hoses don't move.

However I would check the floor between the driver's seat and the slide to ensure the slide didn't leak and rot the wood, do the same on the other end of the slide. Also get in the bays and look up at the floor to ensure that all the insulation etc has not been disturbed. If it has it may indicate leaks or repairs.

We had no other major issues with our 99 except some leaks around the air conditioning seals due to improper installation. This caused water to run down the ducts to the front.

Overall we were very happy with the 99, so happy we bought a 2003 DSDP 4005 a year later (had both at one time) because we wanted better towing capacity a washer dryer and two slides.

For our 99 we also had a day and half travel (twice) each way. Once to go look at it and the second time to go buy it and trade our 2000 36' Bounder gasser.

I'm a believer in if a unit looks good and looks like it was well taken care of, then I think the odds are good that it will also last for you. If you see a lot of wear and tear and dirt, then I would walk away.

The pictures look real good, but sometimes pictures don't show everything, but overall Newman has a great reputation and most of us are very happy with our "older" MHs.

That being said, keep some reserve cash for the unexpected.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Just a follow up to my last post WRT to your comment about the salesman saying it's a 3551.
I also can't find any Newmars that year with that model year. Also they state GVW of 29000 lbs. No Newmars DSDP of that year had 29,000 lbs GVW, the highest in their brochures is 27,400 lbs for that year.

Also, looking at the floor plans I suspect that the model is actually a 3851 which at least matches the HP and the specs listed in NADA and in the brochures.

Dealers aren't always right, my 4005 was listed by the dealer as a 3865. Only by checking floor plans and specs was I able to determine the true model.

You can check the link below for Newmar brochures for that year and do your own comparison.

http://www.newmarcorp.com/resources/brochures-archive/

HTH

Chris
Old 02-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #4

If and when you go look at it make it a point to crawl underneath with a flash light and look at that cat and see if it has any oil leaks< Those cats are great engines but they were prone to leak oil around the oil cooler gasket , so much that cat has a new and improved gasket kit for it .Very tough job to replace .Cost about a grand to have it fixed
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
Just a follow up to my last post WRT to your comment about the salesman saying it's a 3551.
I also can't find any Newmars that year with that model year. Also they state GVW of 29000 lbs. No Newmars DSDP of that year had 29,000 lbs GVW, the highest in their brochures is 27,400 lbs for that year.

Also, looking at the floor plans I suspect that the model is actually a 3851 which at least matches the HP and the specs listed in NADA and in the brochures.

Dealers aren't always right, my 4005 was listed by the dealer as a 3865. Only by checking floor plans and specs was I able to determine the true model.

You can check the link below for Newmar brochures for that year and do your own comparison.

http://www.newmarcorp.com/resources/brochures-archive/

HTH

Chris
Chris,

I have been talking to the dealer a few times to day to get more info. He has been very helpfull and sent me many more pictures of engine, generator, close ups of ext/int things I asked for, slid-in view and the way the bathroom is layed out. I have not see anything I do not like yet, but wish so much I could touch it to make sure the pics are as good as they look. If it was not winter I think I would be leaving tonight after work I like it so much.

When looking at the floorplans in the brochure I cant find anything that looks like it. Salemen said they could have done a mid year model change and he said he would call Newmar to find out.

I will make sure to check for water damage around slide area you mentioned. When I get off work Im going to call him back and see what he found out.

Thanks,
Jen
Old 02-06-2016, 05:45 AM   #6

That year Newmar had a problem with what's called checking. Inferior sidewalls used by Newmar created the problem of gasses being released under the paint, which in turn made the paint look like it was covered with little scratches. You may have to look really close to see it. I would also recommend an independent inspector to look it over instead of someone who's employed by the dealer. I wouldn't go by what NADA says either, I would think you could get it for a better price that that. Take a look at www.pplmotorhomes.com and under the heading "For your Convenience" find "recently sold", and look for what other Dutch Stars in that price range actually sold for.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
That year Newmar had a problem with what's called checking. Inferior sidewalls used by Newmar created the problem of gasses being released under the paint, which in turn made the paint look like it was covered with little scratches." .
The one you are looking at does not have full body paint (I don't believe full body paint was even an option that year on a Dutch Star) so the checking should not be an issue. The one in the add has decals on the gel coated fibreglass side-walls vice paint.

I've also found a reference to a 3551 in the 2000 brochure but no description of the model.

If you look at the section called"DUTCH STAR DIESEL PUSHER OPTIONAL FEATURES" and then under "Motorized Chassis Features" it states;

"-Optional Chassis - Freightliner X-Line
(300 HP) (not available on 3551, 3565)

So somewhere there is a 3551 model, but it seems it cannot have the 300 HP motor (as in your dealer's add) or the Freightliner X-Line chassis.

Maybe Newmar can help solve the mystery. Good luck.

Chris
Old 02-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #8

If you email the vin to Newmar, they can tell you just about everything about the coach.
BTW - The exhaust on the passenger side indicates its a Cummins engine. Same one I have.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #9

The salesmen sent me pics of the motor and it is a Cat. I talked to him yesterday with more question and he said there is someone out there looking at it who is making a offer. I don't if he is saying that to just make me think it may be gone if I don't act, but I will call Monday and see if its still there.

I'm going to Wisconsin for work next week and just may drive over and see it. 4 hour drive is better then 11.

I will email Newmar the VIN to see what kind of info they can give me.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2016, 05:39 AM   #10

[QUOTE=cvbdsl;2929995]The one you are looking at does not have full body paint (I don't believe full body paint was even an option that year on a Dutch Star) so the checking should not be an issue.

I can only go by my personal experience. Our 2000 Dutch Star did have a checking problem.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
That year Newmar had a problem with what's called checking. Inferior sidewalls used by Newmar created the problem of gasses being released under the paint, which in turn made the paint look like it was covered with little scratches. You may have to look really close to see it. I would also recommend an independent inspector to look it over instead of someone who's employed by the dealer. I wouldn't go by what NADA says either, I would think you could get it for a better price that that. Take a look at www.pplmotorhomes.com and under the heading "For your Convenience" find "recently sold", and look for what other Dutch Stars in that price range actually sold for.
Ramets,

I really like PPL website and look at all the time. Their recently sold prices on 1999-2000 Dutch Star are closer to 30K and those rigs are 38-40 footers. So maybe that why they have had it since July, its to high.

Is the checking problem on the exterior just appearance problem or does it let water in? I don't know a lot about the exterior types and problem of the rigs out there. I usually crawl all over the powertrain and chassis when I look at MH. So I am going to do so research on this, thanks.

I looked at the pic of your 2000 Dutch Star and its pretty. I would not have know it was a 2000, looks a lot newer.

Thanks for the info,
Jen
Old 02-08-2016, 06:41 AM   #12

If you go to the Newmar owners forum on this site, there is a recent thorough discussion on the checking issue and some pictures. In my case, the checking in the dark areas was lifting some of the clear coat off which exposes the walls underneath - not good.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
If you go to the Newmar owners forum on this site, there is a recent thorough discussion on the checking issue and some pictures. In my case, the checking in the dark areas was lifting some of the clear coat off which exposes the walls underneath - not good.
Just looked at that thread in the Newmar owners forum. The pics are really cool to see them take the skin off and replace. I saw the pics of what the checking may look like and will be sure to pay attention to that when I look at the exterior.

I wonder if that is something I could use to negotiate the price lower if it has the checking problem? Or since it is 16 years old, that's just something that wouldn't move the price down a whole lot.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #14

I was so close to buying this model before finding my HR. This is a great, solid coach. Sounds like it's got an offer working from the ad I just looked at on Monday afternoon.
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star