Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #71
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Joe, please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you post that it happens with just the parking lights on?

If so, I don't think this is a minor point and all who are jumping in late need to know this is not a headlight issue, it is a parking light issue. The anomaly happens as soon as the parking/running lights are energized. That is the problem circuit.

With that being said, if the parking lights are in the same fixture as the headlights, then there is some relevancy in inspecting the entire fixture for ground/short issues.
It does the same thing with either park lights or full headlights!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #72
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
Hi Joe, like the bad guy says during questioning, "I don't know nothing about nothing" but I do know I hate chasing electrical problems. If I'm right, didn't you just upgrade your headlights from stock to what you are dealing with now? and I assume that the stock lights were working okay but you just wanted brighter lights? Maybe your stock light housing has some metal components that allowed grounding to the frame or body where your new (maybe all plastic) do not. Sometimes when trying to find a problem that didn't exist before it's easier to work backwards to see what changed even if it means going back to the original light housing and bulbs just to confirm that your electrical system is working as it should.
No, it was doing this with the stock headlights. In fact, I haven't changed the headlight assembly on the left side where the problem is occurring.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #73

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Following
Old 12-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
It does the same thing with either park lights or full headlights!
No, it doesn’t.

Unless your coach is wired so the original parking/running lights go out when the headlights come on, and a different set of parking/running lights come on with the headlights, the problem doesn’t happen with “either” park lights or full headlights. It happens as soon as the park lights are activated.

Again, my point is to simplify your search and to keep new viewers focused on where the problem may be, and it’s not on the headlight circuit. Might be the headlight fixture, but not the headlight circuit.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #75

grounded out to third

!92% of signal light problems are do to poor grounding. Can be frustrating, even for the guy in business to fix them. sart near or at the faulty light and check for rust, partially broken wires, filiments, etc.
tshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #76

Tiffin Owners Club
most likely there is ground problem in the rear left light asy. follow the Grd. wire and repair. the signal is all by itself bulb. the tail and brake share.if you compare both rear lights ( tail, brake, signal) you will see that the left rear dimmer than the right. your b/u light may also dimmer on the left.
joe p
past 05 windsor
orit1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:53 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayShreve View Post
similar problem. I have a gaser but had a similar problem, 4 way flasher not working, double tail lights. on right both right lights and one left flashed. on left just the one left flashed. no high beam on head lights. wipers worked in spirts. fast then slow. depended on how big the bump I hit... the problem was in the "multi switch" that controlled high/low beam headlights, the turn signals, the wipers, and cruise control. replaced the switch and the problems went away. Was told by local RV repair not an uncommon problem with workhorse chassis and about $250 labor. switch about $200. Checked with youtube and Amazon switch $50 and it took about 1 hour to replace. check your multi switch....
Hi Ray,
I have that problem with my 2000 Flair, a workhorse chassis.
Do you have a link to the switch on Amazon?
Also, where did you get instructions on how to change it?
I had a RV place in CA work on the problem, $$$, and didn’t fix it after removing the steering wheel and messing around with that switch... disgusted with the industry as a whole.
I could probably fix it if I knew which part to order and decent instructions.
Thanks!
llbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:33 AM   #78

If you can pull the headlight switch out and inspect it. I have seen several switches with melted plastic and overheated connections. Also inspect the connector that plugs into the headlight switch. Good Luck
Old 12-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #79

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Curious about this one. If it were my problem this is how I would trouble shoot-

1) Verify all bulbs are good.

2) Clean all bulb sockets with contact spray, check for corrosion at all connections.

3) Use a 12v test-light and verify all light fixtures have good ground.

Still problems? Time to move to less obvious stuff.

4) Inspect all wires/connections at trailer pigtail. Be sure to check the back side of the receptacle too. Lots of corrosion back there and some vehicles have two pigtails (4 pin and 7 pin) with one tucked up out of sight.

5) Multi-switches. Specifically a turn signal stalk that also handles some light controls. Wiggle the stalk, switches, buttons. Spray some contact cleaner in the switch. Does it change anything?

A 12v test-light, contact spray, and patience can solve these problems most the time.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #80
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodBoss View Post
If you can pull the headlight switch out and inspect it. I have seen several switches with melted plastic and overheated connections. Also inspect the connector that plugs into the headlight switch. Good Luck
Just replaced the headlight switch! I really appreciate all of you trying to help with this problem. I wasn't able to work on it last week due to other obligations, but will be hitting it again after Christmas.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Old 12-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #81

If your toad umbilical is plugged in, give it a try with the umbilical cord removed. I had a problem with no brake lights even though fuse and bulbs were good. The umbilical had cracked and let water in.
Best of luck chasing this one down!
Old 12-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Just replaced the headlight switch! I really appreciate all of you trying to help with this problem. I wasn't able to work on it last week due to other obligations, but will be hitting it again after Christmas.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

And a Merry Christmas to you, Joe and Annette!

May Santa do a little fixin' on your left turn lights during his stop-over, but only if you've been good. (Naturally, if you post continuing trouble after Christmas, we know the answer)
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #83
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
If your toad umbilical is plugged in, give it a try with the umbilical cord removed. I had a problem with no brake lights even though fuse and bulbs were good. The umbilical had cracked and let water in.
Best of luck chasing this one down!
Same problem without the cord plugged in!
Old 12-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #84
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
And a Merry Christmas to you, Joe and Annette! May Santa do a little fixin' on your left turn lights during his stop-over, but only if you've been good.
I'm just hoping he has a bad memory!

Tags
headlight, light, problem