Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 07:10 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rear air gauge at zero

Yesterday morning I noticed a small amount of red fluid (hydraulic/transmission) puddled under the rear driver side of my 2001 MH (Itasca Horizon on Freightliner chassis). I could see the line that was leaking, but it appeared like a very slow leak and we were near our destination so chose to drive on. When I started the unit, my front air gauge showed normal, but the rear gauge showed zero. The coach seemed to have aired up properly, rear was not lower than normal. Brakes, slides and jacks seemed to work fine. I drove 150 miles and didn't notice any issues.
I don't know what the fluid issue is from, but could those two issues be related? Could it be that I don't have an air problem, but that the gauge is not working? Is it safe to drive 30 or 40 miles to a service center? Would it be safe to drive 700 miles home and have the problem looked at there?
Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #2

I don't know, but it seem you have 2 strikes against you already.

IMHO, taking a chance driving it doesn't seem like a good idea.

The red fluid could be minor or something that runs a cooling fan or power steering. One could damage the engine and the other damage you.

If it's transmission fluid, that gets expensive when the tranny fails.

You should check all the fluid levels to possable see which is low.

With the air, if the low air buzzer isn't going off, you may just have a bad indicator.

Does the low air alarm work ?

Have you done a test of the air system ? Most air brake training manuals give instructions.

Spending a few bucks now could save a bunch down the road.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
twinboat

Thanks for your reply. My responses are imbedded in your reply.

I don't know, but it seem you have 2 strikes against you already. AGREED

The red fluid could be minor or something that runs a cooling fan or power steering. One could damage the engine and the other damage you. THE LINE THAT IS LEAKING COMES FROM A SMALL CONTAINER LOCATED IN THAT AREA. ALL FLUID LEVELS (HYDRAULIC RESERVOIR, TRANSMISSION AND OIL) IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT ARE FULL.

With the air, if the low air buzzer isn't going off, you may just have a bad indicator. YES, I HAVE A LOW AIR WARNING LIGHT AND ALARM, BUT IT WAS NOT FLASHING/SOUNDING. I WOULD NOT HAVE DRIVEN IF THAT WERE GOING OFF.

Does the low air alarm work? YES, I AM SURE IT DOES WORK.

Have you done a test of the air system ? Most air brake training manuals give instructions. I HAVE NOT. I'LL TRY TO LOCATE THOSE INSTRUCTIONS.

Spending a few bucks now could save a bunch down the road.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
A reddish type hydraulic fluid could be transmission fluid. This type of fluid is commonly used in other hydraulic systems like hydraulic slide and jack systems.

I would recommend identifying exactly where the fluid is coming from and what is it leaking from.

Most of the hydraulic fittings used are a JCI flared fitting and tightening them could stop a minor leak.

If a hose is weeping it is time to replace it, I've never seen a hose fix itself and it will usually get worse and potentially result in a catastrophic type failure where it could rupture and you could loose all you fluid.

As far as the air problem, if you are able to release your park brake and have proper braking you should be OK but if it were me I'd get it looked at. Anytime there is an issue that relates to safety >>> braking >>> it should be looked at.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
jacwjames

Most of the hydraulic fittings used are a JCI flared fitting and tightening them could stop a minor leak. THE LEAK DEFINATELY IS COMING FROM A COUPLER FITTING, NOT A "WEAPING" HOSE.
NO BRAKING ISSUES SO FAR. I AM IN GALVESTON, TX. I HAVE TRIED, BUT NOT GETTING REPLIES FROM ANY MOBILE REPAIR GUYS. IT'S TEXAS MARDI GRAS HERE.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #6

Simple things.

Start the rig and let it come up on ride and idle until you hear compressor is finished.

Pump brake pedal slowly to activate and release them until the low pressure alarms activate and parking brake activates.

That should verify your air system and safety.

Restart and recharge then shut down.

Locate your tanks and purge the water.

Observing blasts of air confirms pressure.

Look for gage sending units and loose wires.

Regarding red stuff yiu will need some strong grease cleaning stuff like zip purple or greased lightening and soak the area above the leak with the spray and let it stand.

Rinse and repeat until most crud is gone.

Start engine and while it is warming up turn steering wheel lock to lock and check for leaks.

Turn on road ac to help engine come to heat or drive it then check again.

Look for any fresh red.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #7

2001 Freightliner chassis with air gauge problems.
Many threads on the subject , here are some documents.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner gauges operation , testing.pdf (127.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf VDC_Repair FL VDU.pdf (235.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have time, pull the dash panel, and if your gauges have air lines connected, swao them.

Best to release all of the air by pumping the brakes first.
This will confirm it is a gauge.

Regards,

Dan
Old 02-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks tq and skip
Old 02-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dan

Thanks. I got most of that, I think.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #11

I think that coach has a rear drivers side slide. I'm betting you have a leaking hydraulic line (fitting or hose) on that slide. That era of Freightliner chassis has some known issues with the VDC air pressure transducers as Skip426 has pointed out. If I'm right neither problem is serious and you would be okay driving a few miles to get the coach serviced. I would be hesitant to drive 700 miles. I owned a 2002 Horizon 32TD that had both issues. Should be a quick and relatively inexpensive repair.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NMBluept

I thought maybe it could be a slide issue because the leak is directly below the rear slide. Actually, I told my wife that the slide might not even open when we got to our site yesterday, but it did. Also, I had hoped, if that is the issue, it may be okay to drive so I don't have to stop the small caravan of friends we are traveling with. But I'm going to see if I can get in for a check in Houston on the way home. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #13

If the fluid leaking is anywhere near one of your leveling jacks that is where it could be coming from. Transmission oil spreads easily and it could be one of the jacks. The jack rods can get a little dirty causing the hydraulic oil to weep out. Just a little will cause a bit of a puddle but your jacks will still work fine. Just extend the jack and spray some WD40, or similar on the rod, don't wipe it off, run the jack up and down a few times, and then wipe up all the oil. Ours looked like it was coming from the fitting too, but another RV'r showed me what to do and the leak has never come back. It's worth a try if it's one of the jacks leaking.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #14

I drove my coach for many hundred miles with the leaking hoses. Slides will almost always work because they use 2-way cylinders and little or no fluid is drawn from the reservoir (except to replace the lost fluid). Leveling jacks use fluid from the reservoir to extend (lower) the jacks so if the fluid level gets too low you may not be able to level your coach. If you are confident that the leak is from a slide hose go by Walmart and pick up a quart or 2 of cheap Dexron III transmission fluid and keep the HWH fluid reservoir to the full mark.
If the air pressure alarm is intermittent and can maybe be made to stop by shutting down and restarting the engine it is most likely the VDC issue. To verify the VDC problem you need to locate the VDC and swap the front/rear air sample lines to see if the alarm follows. VDC is located on the firewall next to the ECM. Look under the bed, remove 3 bolts holding the engine cover down. Then wedge yourself in to look down at the firewall on the forward part of the engine compartment, it will most likely be dusty and rather dirty. The VDC is identified by the red & green 1/8" air lines going to it. Look at the those air fittings and note the collar - push in on the collar and pull the air line out to remove it. Be sure to bleed off ALL air before doing this! Swap the positions of the 2 air lines. If the rear air alarm continues you may have cold solder joints on the air pressure transducers. If the alarm moves to front you have a real low air pressure problem and should address it immediately.

The above is only my opinion, please make your decision based on your knowledge and comfort level.

NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote