Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #1

Rear air suspension can

Hi guys,

I was under the motor home yesterday, 2002 Winnebago Journey DL, replacing the slide out/jacks motor that failed and noticed something odd. On the front of my air cans on the rear suspension there are what appears to be plastic caps or valves of some kind. The right one is in (what I assume to be) it's normal position covering the hole in the can but the left one is "open" exposing the hole (vent?) in the can. They look like some kind if "flapper" if that makes any sense.
We are parked with jacks down (now that the motor is replaced) and the air has been released from the rear which is automatic when the jack pad is powered up to lower the jacks. Issue or not?

Phil

workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are you talking anout the air brake actuators? Mine have a tethered plastic plug on each one. I once found one of mine had popped out and I just put it back on.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #3

Not sure if it is brakes or suspension. Looks like the are mounted to the axle that is why I assumed they were suspension.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
They are just plastic covers on your brake maxi pots so road grim and such doesn't get in the spring chamber. Mechanics use the hole for inspecting the parking spring and the hole is also used to insert a cage bolt to release the spring brake in an emergency.
It will be tight but you can push the cap back into place.
You might want to get a qualified mechanic to inspect you spring brakes to make sure everything is good. It is quite common for the springs to break.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
workinrvers

As Kuzzy said just put the plastic cover/plug back in, if difficult spray WD40 or another lubricant on it to ease re-installation. As a retired truck driver I've seen countless numbers of these off and/or missing with no adverse effect on the brakes. Also, as Kuzzy said, that port is used to release the brakes when there is a brake lockup due to lost air pressure, leaking brake pod, so that the vehicle can be move in an emergency. When you get the opportunity, start your MH, build the air pressure, have someone apply the brake, release the parking brake and you can get under and feel if any air is escaping at the plug port. Trust me you will be able to feel it and if you are not sure shut the engine off with the brakes still applied and parking brake off, this will allow you to hear a leak. If it doesn't leak (I will almost bet it will not) you will be OK.

Good Luck and keep up the eye balling to find things that might be wrong as that effort will bear fruit in reduced repair bills.

Happy New Year
Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
Old 12-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #6

Thanks all, I'll crawl under and get it put back in place.
I did have a lot of "fun" diagnosing and then replacing the hydraulic motor. Two weeks ago it was the thermostat on the water heater and since things tend to happen in three's I'm counting this as number three so I should be good to go for awhile.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Air Brake chamber on the rear wheels...
The right side is the parking brake, the large coil spring applies the brakes when air pressure is lost. The rubber plug is in the parking brake end. That is where a bolt can be inserted to retract that spring to release the parking brake so the vehicle can be towed. Air pressure applies the service brakes in the left side of the chamber. Both systems work by turning the slack adjuster and applying the rear brake shoes.

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension