RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #29

I can try.....

First off, we used the original brackets on top from the original airbags.
There is (1) nut that holds the airbag to the bracket on the frame.
We used the power gear jacks as the means for raising and lowering the coach to align the airbags into the axle hole and the bracket attached to the frame hole.
Certainly not recommended to do it this way for safety reasons but it did work.

The other option the towing/recovery guy wanted to do was use the boom on his rig to lift the coach at the hitch area. I was very skeptical with him doing this and was cringing at the thought.

Anyhow, loosened the top nut from the bracket. Removed the bottom nut from the axle. Then removed the top nut and raised the coach with the power leveler slowly. The tech then went underneath and removed the air lines from the top of the existing airbag. He pulled the airbag out and I gave him the new one. (without the top bracket) He then attached the air lines with the existing hardware removed from the old airbag.
He attached the top of the airbag to the bracket left on the frame and left the nut loose. I then gradually lowered the the coach to get the axle to line up with the airbag.
Once it was lowered and aligned he was able to tighten the bottom nut at the axle and the top nut at the frame bracket.
Doing it this way you need to make sure the top bracket is aligned with the (2) small dimples on the top bracket before tightening. This ensures you are aligned properly on the airbag and probably prevents the bag from twisting during your travels.

We repeated this for the other side and checked for operation.

Like I said, maybe not the safest method but it worked. It was good the tech was smaller too because he shimmied on his back getting under the coach which helped immensely.

Hopefully his makes some sense?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you makes sense to me. I saving this posting.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #31

This is interesting we had the leveling valve on our MH get stuck while we were at the Mt. Rushmore KOA. When roadside assistance told us that we had a hole in the bag we started to limp the MH to Rapid City to drop it off at a truck repair shop. We started down the road and the valve closed and we aired up. I got it 1200 miles home and had my mechanic change the valve and then he checked all the bags, finding the rear 2 were dry rotted and leaking so he changed them out. I went to leave on a trip a week ago Saturday and made it 5 miles from home and when I turned right the rear passenger bag exploded. I limped it back to town and we are trying to get the bag covered by it be defective. I learned a lot about my air system in the last week and the bags that were installed only have a composite base no aluminum on them.

Should I be concerned? We have driven it about 150 miles since the fix this week and everything seems ok and I put a paint stripe on the bottom nut to the bracket so I can quickly check to make sure nothing has moved. My mechanic says he has never seen anything like it and think I hit something the road. I did not and I would think if I did it would be hard to kick up behind the back axle to cause the failure.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:34 PM   #32
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Rear airbags blew out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinOH View Post
This is interesting we had the leveling valve on our MH get stuck while we were at the Mt. Rushmore KOA. When roadside assistance told us that we had a hole in the bag we started to limp the MH to Rapid City to drop it off at a truck repair shop. We started down the road and the valve closed and we aired up. I got it 1200 miles home and had my mechanic change the valve and then he checked all the bags, finding the rear 2 were dry rotted and leaking so he changed them out. I went to leave on a trip a week ago Saturday and made it 5 miles from home and when I turned right the rear passenger bag exploded. I limped it back to town and we are trying to get the bag covered by it be defective. I learned a lot about my air system in the last week and the bags that were installed only have a composite base no aluminum on them.

Should I be concerned? We have driven it about 150 miles since the fix this week and everything seems ok and I put a paint stripe on the bottom nut to the bracket so I can quickly check to make sure nothing has moved. My mechanic says he has never seen anything like it and think I hit something the road. I did not and I would think if I did it would be hard to kick up behind the back axle to cause the failure.

If you had an aluminum base and it was switched to composite. Without proper support they will blow out. Spartan had this problem and supplied a steel disc. When I changed rear bags this spring they were back to the aluminum bases.
The problem was from a lack of support in the mounts. They either required a disc or aluminum bases.
See the pic in post #7 this thread.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #33

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinOH View Post

I'll make it easy, the attached pic has a composite base bag with a steel plate I fabed. According to Spartan, Supposedly the base will somehow break right at the area where the leak spring support stops.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160521_153444271.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	167269
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
If you had an aluminum base and it was switched to composite. Without proper support they will blow out. Spartan had this problem and supplied a steel disc. When I changed rear bags this spring they were back to the aluminum bases.
The problem was from a lack of support in the mounts. They either required a disc or aluminum bases.
See the pic in post #7 this thread.
Thanks my mechanic is going to try and find or fabricate some plates for us.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So, if the incorrect bags were there in the first place, it would be interesting to see what height the originals were when fully extended. It may just be that the ones replaced were not as "tall" as the correct ones, thereby separating the airbags when the rear was lifted as the shock extension was more than original incorrect airbag "stretch" allowed. I would imagine it would not matter so much if the incorrect ones were there until the rear end was lifted for service.