Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2015, 06:26 AM   #1

Rear airbags both deflated

I find it difficult to imagine that both rear airbags went flat at the same time while my coach was sitting in the driveway. The gauges on the dash indicate front and rear air pressure is at 130 lbs, but a visual check of the bags and the coach height tells me that's not the case. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting this problem ? Fuse?, Power Gear leveled, airbags?

I'm quite sure everything related to this issue is still OEM. This is a 2005 - 37' Class A Fleetwood Bounder DP on a Freightliner chassis. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated... Thank you !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
How long was your motorhome sitting when you noticed the air bags had gone down? It is not uncommon for your air bags to deflate over a period of time - 3 to 5 days isn't that uncommon. It really doesn't hurt anything if they do.

However, if they are deflating within a few minute of turning off the engine, you should have someone check the air lines and valves.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #3

I am not sure, but they are not re-inflating even though my dash gauges indicate 130 lbs of pressure in front and rear...??
Old 10-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #4

could you start engine and see if rear both sides raise up within 10 minutes or so?
Old 10-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #5

I would cycle the jacks by pushing the "store" button with the engine off. Then start the engine again and see if there is a change. Also, the "front" air gauge is not for the front air bags on my coach. The front gauge is for the brake system and the rear gauge is for all the air bags. I had a similar issue where the rear gauge was showing full but my air bags were not inflated. I had to hit the "Store" button again, even though the jacks were up, and when I started the engine, the rear gauge showed correctly (it went down) and the air bags filled as normal. One time I have to hit "Level" and "Store" before the rear gauge showed correctly. I finally had the double solenoid valve replaced - it appears it was sticking in the "level" position and not allowing air into the air bags.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #6

Not knowing how the rig is plumbed it may be possible that the air bags are on a non - metered point.

Ours has 2 tanks with 2 gages but one tank has 2 chambers.

Not sure where air bags are connected but if I recall correctly not a metered point.

It us normal for unit to "squat" over time as nothing is perfect.

If a leveling valve is too sensitive or adjusted internally just a bit off then it may have both rise and lower partially open at same time to cause faster squat.

We had that issue years ago and posted our repair which was a simple matter once we removed a valve we discovered it could be done in place.

You can search for valve repair and adjustment to learn more but also be certian you have proper jack stands as these rigs are low riders when air is out and you can get hurt in a big way.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #7

After running trucks for many to many years I would have to say you have a leveling valve problem could be linkage or bad valve if you can safely get underneath and check the control linkage if it is intac I would change leveling valve not a tough job make sure you mark air lines so as not to mix them up. You are going to have a lot of air come out of the hot line safety glasses!!!
Old 10-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a similar problem with the front air bags on my Freightliner chassis. It turns out that the linkage to the air bag valve got knocked off when I hit a large bump and both bags deflated. Hooked the linkage back up and both bags inflated like normal.
wlf00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #9

Thx to all for the feedback... Ended up retracting and shutting down Power Gear levelers, dumped out all the air I could get out of the system to get the coach as low as it would go. Started engine and put airbag switch on auto fill. After two or three loud bangs that sounded like gun shots, all air bags re-inflated and have held their ground height steady for two days now. I plan to keep a watchful eye for anything out of the ordinary, but I'm hopeful we are good to go... Thx again to all !!!